Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that the left-turn-indicator? If so looks tiny to me, although i suppose I'd notice it when blinking.

EDIT: Nah, seems unlikely, it would need to be on the edge/corner of the car, wouldn't it? Otherwise approaching traffic would have only an obscured view, so presumably me being thick again ...

Thanks. Makes sense now (i.e. photo is of only the first few LEDs lit at that moment in time)

Personally, I'm dyslexic, and I wish all the marketing people would not come up with "differentiating features" like this (whilst often clamming some spurious usability improvement). Consistency would be much better for people with slow-image-digestion-processing. like me, in order that we react correctly with the minimum amount of variable processing required.

All these marketing people want variations on a smiley-face with the side lights etc. in order to provide brand-awareness and as usual its a triumph of design over function.

"Most cars today, including the Jags, unlock using your cellphone or cellwatch."

Really?

All mine do except one 2002. The 2004-2017's will all unlock with cellphone. That was... 8? out of 8? cars and trucks.
I don't have a 2018 right now, but I'm sure it would. The Jaguar will too.
I don't think the Jaguar has a phone embedded in it though, which will sort of suck. It has WiFi, so I'm not sure. I think you must use your portable. I can adapt I guess, just leave a cheap cell in it at all times.

Yup never seen one of those either

I see them a several times a year. Last one was a Karma Revero in Irvine, Calif. Most of them are Captured Test Fleet Cars. These are instrumented, and driven by a company employee. This is to collect data to look for problems. When a company says they put 1.5 million miles into road testing, this is a CTF car with a MFR plate. Some are pre-production and wear camoflage, these are test mules.

Some of them are for Car Shows. Some are for the Press Fleet. And others are executive cars. Upper management is supplied with cars that are owned and titled by the manufacturer.

Note the difficulties of no Supercharger network and the comments about a 418 wh/mi efficiency at 70-75 mph

Efficiency is remarkably bad for a car as short as the iPace. If it was a real SUV the high usage would be understandable.

Remarkably good iPace reviews are coming out every day. I do think Jaguar did an excellent job with this car, but this is the honeymoon period.

All mine do except one 2002. The 2004-2017's will all unlock with cellphone. That was... 8? out of 8? cars and trucks.
I don't have a 2018 right now, but I'm sure it would. The Jaguar will too.
I don't think the Jaguar has a phone embedded in it though, which will sort of suck. It has WiFi, so I'm not sure. I think you must use your portable. I can adapt I guess, just leave a cheap cell in it at all times.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ipace will have cell service for the in vehicle wifi. Don't think they mentioned being able to call folks like you can with onstar. I hope it is faster to connect and more reliable than onstar though.

Can you point to a Monroney sticker or the link to the EPA range test? Thanks.

Not the answer to your question, but i assume that @electracity was referring to the article which quoted the real-world consumption on the 734 mile journey London-Berlin (which included some lengthy sections of roadworks, so 40-50 MPH at best)

I quite look forward to those in the UK as the enforced frugality means I won't have to top-up Supercharge to get home :)

"Stop-start shuffling and prolonged cruising at 50 to 60 mph saw the I-Pace use 28.9 kW-hr per 100 miles (117 mpg-e) for the final 50 miles to our Hannover stop"

"With an indicated 202 miles of range and 160 miles to go ... long sections under repair and jammed with trucks ... Four hours later, we pull into our hotel’s parking garage ... with 20 miles of range to spare"

So 160 miles in 4 hours = average 40 MPH

"96 percent, giving us 221 miles of range"

So by my maths 100% would be 230 miles range (as shown on dashboard)

and @ 40 MPH for used dashboard-range of (202-20) = 182 miles they actually drove 160 miles

So that would make the 100% real-world-range 202 miles ... at 40 MPH.

Doesn't "feel right", so either my assumptions wrong, or the journalist's driving style not very frugal :rolleyes: and average 40 MPH was achieved with 50% at 120 MPH :p

Not the answer to your question, but i assume that @electracity was referring to the article which quoted the real-world consumption on the 734 mile journey London-Berlin (which included some lengthy sections of roadworks, so 40-50 MPH at best)

I quite look forward to those in the UK as the enforced frugality means I won't have to top-up Supercharge to get home :)

"Stop-start shuffling and prolonged cruising at 50 to 60 mph saw the I-Pace use 28.9 kW-hr per 100 miles (117 mpg-e) for the final 50 miles to our Hannover stop"

"With an indicated 202 miles of range and 160 miles to go ... long sections under repair and jammed with trucks ... Four hours later, we pull into our hotel’s parking garage ... with 20 miles of range to spare"

So 160 miles in 4 hours = average 40 MPH

"96 percent, giving us 221 miles of range"

So by my maths 100% would be 230 miles range (as shown on dashboard)

and @ 40 MPH for used dashboard-range of (202-20) = 182 miles they actually drove 160 miles

So that would make the 100% real-world-range 202 miles ... at 40 MPH.

Doesn't "feel right", so either my assumptions wrong, or the journalist's driving style not very frugal :rolleyes: and average 40 MPH was achieved with 50% at 120 MPH :p

Average of 40 mph on a freeway doesn't say much. They did find the speed limiter on the trip which is 124mph.
And guess-o-meters only work accurately on steady state driving. I can get mine to read 50% error.

So it remains to be seen.

Real world example. Since late 2015, I've been driving a loop. 50 miles of freeway with 8.4 miles of surface street, roundtrip with elevation changes and winds, consumes 12.1 to 13.9 kWh. It takes 90 minutes on average so, so about 40 mph for 58.4 miles, hundreds of times. EPA Combined is 106 MPGe and 53 miles AER. This is not hypermiling, but I stay no more than 5 over the limit (70mph max), and I do not impede traffic. Educated foot + look far ahead + no cruise + 2 second rule. Tires are 6 psi under advertised peak pressure for comfort.

As you know, it's all about peak speed, peak kW discharge, peak kW regen. Keep them low, and run over the EPA numbers. Keep them high, and run short.

The Motor Trend article seemed to have three datapoints, including cruising at 70-75mph into a strong headwind : 416W/mile
This seems to me to compare pretty well to the Model X's EPA rating for 48mph cruising of 380/390 W/mile.

The average 40mph/160mile stint was on a busy section of autobahn with many roadworks - I'm assuming there was a lot of speeding up and slowing down. I calculate they used about 401W/mile

But comparisons will all be easier once the i-Pace has an official EPA rating, or the Teslas have official WLTP ratings. Both are scheduled to happen within the next 3 months.

What I'm currently trying to find is the i-Pace's official rating for the WLTP "Extra High" cycle - pretty much a a cruise at 70-75mph.

The Motor Trend article seemed to have three datapoints, including cruising at 70-75mph into a strong headwind : 416W/mile
This seems to me to compare pretty well to the Model X's EPA rating for 48mph cruising of 380/390 W/mile.

The average 40mph/160mile stint was on a busy section of autobahn with many roadworks - I'm assuming there was a lot of speeding up and slowing down. I calculate they used about 401W/mile

But comparisons will all be easier once the i-Pace has an official EPA rating, or the Teslas have official WLTP ratings. Both are scheduled to happen within the next 3 months.

What I'm currently trying to find is the i-Pace's official rating for the WLTP "Extra High" cycle - pretty much a a cruise at 70-75mph.

Apples and Oranges. You appear to be comparing the EPA rating that's from the wall with charging losses to the dashboard value of the iPace that'll be battery to wheels.

My X certainly never came close to 400 Wh per mile on the dash at 48 mph - it doesn't even eat close to that much at 70 mph.

Reactions: techmaven
Apples and Oranges. You appear to be comparing the EPA rating that's from the wall with charging losses to the dashboard value of the iPace that'll be battery to wheels.

My X certainly never came close to 400 Wh per mile on the dash at 48 mph - it doesn't even eat close to that much at 70 mph.

My preference would be to compare apples to apples, but it looks like it'll be at least another 2 or 3 months before there are directly comparable figures available.