Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar is getting in on the EV game...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Jaguar will be competing against the Model 3 with their upcoming I-Pace release in 2018. I'm glad other manufacturers are starting to take the EV market more seriously. Not a bad looking car, although it has many similarities to Tesla's design. What is it they say about imitation......?

JAGUAR_LA_Location_08_tcm97-323119_desktop_1366x769.jpg

Bentley is also getting into the game ... :cool:

Bentley is weighing an all-electric SUV smaller than the Bentayga, says CEO

British automaker Bentley is now considering joining the rest of the industry in electrification with an all-electric SUV. Considering the company is under the control of the VW Group, which plans to launch 25 electric cars by 2025, it’s not too surprising that the Bentley brand would contribute to the effort.

Considering the Bentayga has a base price of $230,000, the new SUV is expected to be in the same ballpark. Overall, the Bentley brand has been delivering over 10,000 total units annually for the VW group, which is a small share of its total production, but all work toward electrification can help the other more popular brands.

VW’s other brands are also looking to soon release all-electric SUVs, like Audi with the e-tron quattro, Porsche with a Cayenne-like SUV using the powertrain developed for the Mission E, and even Lamborghini plans to release a plug-in version of the upcoming Urus. Those vehicles are all expected in the next 2-3 years. As for Bentley, its first EV shouldn’t be available at least until 2020.

upload_2017-2-27_18-46-31.png

Okay...and I say this as a VW/Audi fanboy: I'm calling vaporware on all of them until we get details on things like charging network and battery production. Seriously, I don't think Tesla gets enough credit for this because we take what they've done for granted. But EVERY time I see a new EV production announcement, (and this includes Lucid, which I'm intrigued by) my first thought is: Where. Are. Your. BATTERIES? How many can you make? Who is making them? Even a company with resources and deep pockets like VWAG has to start SOMEWHERE and we've heard absolutely nothing about any of their usual electronics partners investing in some massive ramp-up of cell production. Nothing from Bosch or Continental. Who does Tata even have for battery partnership? LG chem is busting their buts to meet Volt/Bolt demand for GM, and that's maybe 50K cars with of cells per year.

@Whistle2Whine - the reason these manufacturers are getting into the EV game is,
1. ZEV credits or equivalent, so they can continue to make gas guzzlers
2. EVs being the future, they want to be in the game for now.

They don't need to make a real world EV with real world range, since they don't need to sell a lot of them, have a supercharger network, and, they are willing to sell them at a loss. Like Bolt sells at 9K loss per car, and GM massively prefers to sell them in CA. GM won't mind selling it at a 12K loss either, once Model 3 comes out.

If EVs remain relevant Tesla will need to innovate further, and these other manufacturers will need to catch up, but no reason or rush to do it just yet.

And if you think about it, Tesla is the one putting all eggs in the EV basket. High risk, high gain. If the EV bet pans out, and in 10 years EVs is the dominant car, Tesla will have played their cards right. The other manufacturers are doing their usual conservative game of mediocrity. .. they are not playing to win, and thats their game!

Last edited:
Reactions: Whistle2Whine
220 miles (350km) of range for a 90Kw battery pack sounds a bit low, but if you look at the picture of the interior it states 505 km range with 100% charge, I know it's just a concept, but I would think the range should be better than 220 miles for a 90KW

220 miles (350km) of range for a 90Kw battery pack sounds a bit low, but if you look at the picture of the interior it states 505 km range with 100% charge, I know it's just a concept, but I would think the range should be better than 220 miles for a 90KW
Maybe there trying a different strategy than Tesla and under promising and over delivering! I do think Tesla will continue to have upper hand as they are more than an electric car company giving there superior AP program. Maybe this will motivate Tesla to get EAP delivered.

The i-Pace seems like it's going to happen. They're taking $1200 deposits here in Norway, and they're rumored to have over 1500 reservations.

The production doesn't seem like it will be massive, though, maybe something like 20k per year. And I can't see how anyone would classify it as a Model 3 competitor. It's somewhere between a Model X competitor and a Model Y competitor. The price should be somewhere north of 60k USD, maybe even exceeding 100k USD.

The i-Pace seems like it's going to happen. They're taking $1200 deposits here in Norway, and they're rumored to have over 1500 reservations.

The production doesn't seem like it will be massive, though, maybe something like 20k per year. And I can't see how anyone would classify it as a Model 3 competitor. It's somewhere between a Model X competitor and a Model Y competitor. The price should be somewhere north of 60k USD, maybe even exceeding 100k USD.
Yeah, I thought Model 3 initially, because of the shape, but after looking at more photos (there was one with someone standing next to it for reference) plus the fact the literature is calling it an SUV, I would have to agree with you that it is closer to the Model X. Their website is suggesting it may cost 10-15% more than a similarly equipped F-Pace.

It reminds me a little of the Land Rover (Jaguar) Evoque....
2015-Land-Rover-range-rover-evoque-side.jpg