Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jail time for adjusting wipers? (software dreams inside)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, if you are expecting voice control, which by it's nature is never going to work reliably across such a broad range of accents/dialects especially under stress situations (with its inherent input lag) to be a competent substitute for a direct physical interface, then you are on crack.

Perhaps it does not like your Oxford English...

[Clint Eastwood]Think in Russian[/Clint Eastwood]

Perhaps Voice Command is having issues with the British Accent, but I live in the Midwest part of the United States and there is almost no lag. The only command that I find has what I would define as lag is when I ask for navigation to a specific location. And even then I find the command is understood quickly and the lag is in the actual calculation of the map coordinates.

I would think that over time that it would begin to learn more complex speech as long as the words are pronounced properly. I have heard some individuals pronounce Hookup to sound like Hookah, which I do not hold out any chance of it ever understanding.

So you came on a UK sub about a german case to say it's everyone elses problem for not having an american accent.

Well, yes. But really I'm blaming the software for being geo-centric, even though "american accent" is not particularly homogeneous.

I formerly worked in the automotive aftermarket, and was working in an auto parts store in the Deep South (Alabama, I think) when a gentleman requested my assistance:

"I'm looking for boats."
"I apologize, we only have car parts here."
"I know. Boats, I need boats"
"Ok, well we don't have any boats here, is there something else I can help you with?"
"I NEED BOATS. YOU KNOW, LIKE 'NUTS AND BOATS'!!!"​

I have no idea what even Siri or Alexa would do with a dialect like that.

Well, yes. But really I'm blaming the software for being geo-centric, even though "american accent" is not particularly homogeneous.

I formerly worked in the automotive aftermarket, and was working in an auto parts store in the Deep South (Alabama, I think) when a gentleman requested my assistance:

"I'm looking for boats."
"I apologize, we only have car parts here."
"I know. Boats, I need boats"
"Ok, well we don't have any boats here, is there something else I can help you with?"
"I NEED BOATS. YOU KNOW, LIKE 'NUTS AND BOATS'!!!"​

I have no idea what even Siri or Alexa would do with a dialect like that.
We have a similar problem in some parts of Scotland....