Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jail time for adjusting wipers? (software dreams inside)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I posted it on one of the other threads, when I tried voice activation to adjust the speed of wipers they ended up stopping. I could well have crashed as a result in the monsoon rain I was experiencing.Alternatively somebody could’ve run into the back of me as I slowed down whilst trying to sort it out. My forward visibility was virtually nil. A stalk to adjust the speed would’ve been much easier to operate.

I personally think they could do away with the big wiper button and actually fit all the wiper controls on the screen directly... No need for a sub-menu so to speak, looks like there's enough screen estate to do this

There are some controls that Tesla clearly thought were too critical to integrate on the touchscreen....things like hazard lights, SOS button, indicators and drive.

The lack of extra functionality from that wiper press button is a massive oversight (and lack of wiper stalk). When it is raining you want to keep your hands on the wheel as much as possible and the rain sensor being as incompetent as it is in auto (relentlessly puts the wiper speed up to max!) leaves no option but to be forever touching the screen to change wiper speed.

Reactions: captanzuelo
There are some controls that Tesla clearly thought were too critical to integrate on the touchscreen....things like hazard lights, SOS button, indicators and drive.

The lack of extra functionality from that wiper press button is a massive oversight (and lack of wiper stalk). When it is raining you want to keep your hands on the wheel as much as possible and the rain sensor being as incompetent as it is in auto (relentlessly puts the wiper speed up to max!) leaves no option but to be forever touching the screen to change wiper speed.
Agree with this. I think the hazard lights would have been on the touchscreen had they been allowed too. That always has to be a physical button I believe.

The lack of extra functionality from that wiper press button is a massive oversight (and lack of wiper stalk)...

On the DeLorean, you turn the wipers OFF and them immediately back ON to enable intermittent mode; the time span between the OFF and ON becomes the new interval. So with some clever coding, there's obviously much Tesla could do with but a single button.

I know Elon is pushing us in the direction of FSD with no driver at all, but until then, we need wipers and buttons and stuff. Or maybe the real answer is to improve the AUTO mode?

Reactions: Neilio
On the DeLorean, you turn the wipers OFF and them immediately back ON to enable intermittent mode; the time span between the OFF and ON becomes the new interval. So with some clever coding, there's obviously much Tesla could do with but a single button.

I know Elon is pushing us in the direction of FSD with no driver at all, but until then, we need wipers and buttons and stuff. Or maybe the real answer is to improve the AUTO mode?
Improve the auto mode I would have said. Stop trying to be fancy and having a "neural net" detect the rain and put in an infrared sensor like every car manufacturer with working auto wipers.

Reactions: CyberGus
The BBC article has the guys defence "In this case, the driver had to navigate software menus and then choose from one of five settings, after touching an icon."

Which is complete horsepucky and I can see why he lost.

btw. The controls have *not* been ruled illegal.

Taking your eyes off the road to operate a touch screen has been ruled illegal.

wht you may not know is in Germany if you have an accident. Any accident. You have broke the law, the German Highway Code is law. If you hit a car in front of you the law has been broken. If you drive off the road while distracted talking to a passenger you have broken the law. There is no Knock For Knock. One party is at fault. It’s harsh but it really works. Talk to any serviceman who served in Germany. So the man was in court and guilty for driving off the road, while distracted in this case the wiper.

No argument but that the driver was at fault in going off the road. But the appalling user interface that doesn’t allow the wipers to be easily controlled was undoubtedly a contributory factor. Tesla have not thought enough about the ease of controlling vital functions in a hurry. The hazard warning light switch on the M3 is very difficult to find especially at night.

I don't understand the complaint that wiper controls are on the screen by M3 owners as a press of the button on the stalk causes a wipe with a harder press a wash. If the wiper mode isn't good enough you keep pressing until you can safely change it but to me, auto works successfully if not always sensibly.

I would like to see that you could twist the stalk to increase or decrease the speed. Or one of the scroll wheels would be active while the wiper panel is visible.

This.

It would make sense to me to have the steering wheel volume scroller be context-aware. For example, if you arm the wipers by pressing the stalk button it brings up the wipers menu, the safety would be in controlling the speed with said volume scroller.

It would make sense to me to have the steering wheel volume scroller be context-aware. For example, if you arm the wipers by pressing the stalk button it brings up the wipers menu, the safety would be in controlling the speed with said volume scroller.

What then happens when the sat nav starts talking? Are you changing radio volume, sat nav volume or wiper speed?

imho, safety functions should be on non overridable physical interfaces so you do not have to think. Although I do like the idea of double tap on windscreen stalk to speed up/slow down sensitivity.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN

There is a wiper stalk !!!!!! The autospeed works well, but if it not keeping up, press the effin stalk ! Easy peezy.

"Man does not know how to use car and crashes" should be headline.

imho, safety functions should be on non overridable physical interfaces so you do not have to think

Respectfully, saying that isn’t helpful. We don’t *have* the particular physical interface you want. These cars have passed inspection and been deemed fit for the roads by - I’m sure - every jurisdiction where they’ve been entered for sale.

What we have is a limited set of controls and a software interface that can be tailored to needs and wants as they make themselves known.

The BBC have picked up a story from Germany that a driver has been fined for adjusting his wipers via the Tesla touchscreen whilst driving! He did crash, mind you. The court used the same law as would be applied to a mobile phone.
As stated above why do individuals not use the Voice Command. I use the Voice Command for Wipers all the time. "Windshield Wipers on 2", Radio, etc. I use Voice Command for as many items as I can. I hardly ever need to touch the Screen.

Reactions: CyberGus