Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jalopnik article on EV charging infrastructure - comments from ChargePoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
I actually found this to be an interesting read: https://jalopnik.com/maybe-its-not-as-hard-as-we-thought-to-solve-the-electr-1821934370 especially from a Tesla owner's perspective and using Tesla's Superchargers and charging at home.

The ChargePoint CEO, Romano, talks about their new app for what sounds like time scheduling your non-Tesla EV to charge at home on their home charging equipment I think. He talks briefly about Tesla. The plan he describes for EV long-distance charging sure sounds familiar. He goes on to say he doesn't think Tesla will open up it's superchargers to others, so that was interesting given how Byton's CES spokesmen had a different thought on that. I didn't read that ChargePoint had plans to do their own network, probably just want to sell the equipment. No mention of the money for EV infrastructure that VW's lawsuit settlement is suppose to be used for.

A number of readers commented that one of their two cars was an EV already and they advocated for home charging. Interesting to see the questions and comments by drivers just started to think more about EVs and how things are changing.

Comments in the article from Scott Mercer, CEO of EV charging network Volta reflect a total lack of understanding about EVs and charging networks. I doubt he even owns an EV. Good luck to him with running a charging network of his own!

ChargePoint's CEO gets it. His comments in the article are right on the money.

GSP

I applaud Mercer (Volta) for being committed to provide charging stations though, unlike ChargePoint. Have to wonder how advertising alone will help them succeed. Tesla in part could offer the free supercharging to its Model S & X owners due to the revenue from the price of their cars. Volta has no stake in the EV cars that would use their free service.

From the photo it looked like Volta already has something established and beyond just a set of chargers in a parking lot. Anyone seen or been to one of their charging areas? Curious if they are trying to combine food/drink at their charging stops as an additional revenue source. A few of the commentors to the article mentioned they liked that concept (like what Tesla's doing with Kettleman City and putting their Superchargers/destination chargers near amenities).

Last edited:
Given my personal charging interests, I agree that I prefer to hear what Chargepoint is saying in this article.

But Scott Mercer is an EV driver; he has been for a long time. He also really tries to think through what drivers and site hosts want. He has been running Volta for many years.

To date (I am sure it will change) Volta only does L2 charging, so that no doubt colors his comments. And while the printed comments are not completely clear and can be interpreted more than one way, I doubt he meant that EV drivers never take road trips. I assume he meant that road trips for EV drivers are comparatively rare, just like for ICE drivers. So while remote freeway DC stations are indeed needed, numerically speaking he is correct that more charging stations need to be placed near where the cars are. Those higher-traffic areas are where his model is more likely to work, so it makes sense that that would be his point.

I agree that Volta's advertising income, while sufficient for well-placed L2 (not all L2!), is not likely to work at all for DC. I agree that pairing with a mini-mart of some type might make more sense for DC.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
After reading the above article got more curious about Volta, and saw they actually have quite a number of free charging stations around the country already. 30A L2 J1772s in retail shopping centers, no membership card required ( map: Volta Charging ; list: Volta Charging Station Locations ). Come to think of it when I was looking at what kind of chargers were going in or near Macy's in Eastridge Mall here in the San Jose area, I saw on Plugshare a photo of 2 they had aleady installed in another area of the mall parking lot. I suspect the Macy's Valley Fair Mall location in San Jose that's has a current San Jose building permit for EV chargers will also be Volta but I see that ChargePoint has chargers there already - Electric Vehicle (EV) Parking at Westfield Valley Fair (requiring ChargePoint card and charging fee). Had hoped the Valley Fair Mall location was going to be Tesla urban chargers.

I think it's great that Volta has come up with a way to provide some free charging to shoppers; hope it's a sustainable business model. Had wondered if it's the shopping center/major store chain footing the electricity bill with maybe ads on their "billboard" style chargers helping to defray equipment cost and installation but from Volta's website's Retail Center's page it appears Volta foots all of the costs involved ( Retail Centers ). And noticed that they show a Model S charging in front of a Whole Foods Volta charger and looks to be a Tesla at the one at Northbrook Court (IL).

BTW from the info posted about the Volta Team, Scott Mercer drives an electric Fiat.

Last edited:
After reading the above article got more curious about Volta, and saw they actually have quite a number of free charging stations around the country already. 30A L2 J1772s in retail shopping centers, no membership card required ( map: Volta Charging ; list: Volta Charging Station Locations ). Come to think of it when I was looking at what kind of chargers were going in or near Macy's in Eastridge Mall here in the San Jose area, I saw on Plugshare a photo of 2 they had aleady installed in another area of the mall parking lot. I suspect the Macy's Valley Fair Mall location in San Jose that's has a current San Jose building permit for EV chargers will also be Volta but I see that ChargePoint has chargers there already - Electric Vehicle (EV) Parking at Westfield Valley Fair (requiring ChargePoint card and charging fee). Had hoped the Valley Fair Mall location was going to be Tesla urban chargers.

I think it's great that Volta has come up with a way to provide some free charging to shoppers; hope it's a sustainable business model. Had wondered if it's the shopping center/major store chain footing the electricity bill with maybe ads on their "billboard" style chargers helping to defray equipment cost and installation but from Volta's website's Retail Center's page it appears Volta foots all of the costs involved ( Retail Centers ).

BTW from the info posted about the Volta Team, Scott Mercer drives an electric Fiat.
Looks like they still plan on announcing new locations in early 2017! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
Comments in the article from Scott Mercer, CEO of EV charging network Volta reflect a total lack of understanding about EVs and charging networks. I doubt he even owns an EV. Good luck to him with running a charging network of his own!

ChargePoint's CEO gets it. His comments in the article are right on the money.

GSP

I think both were talking about the same thing, although the Volta CEO placed more emphasis on local charging.
- Level 2 for home/work
- Coverage is a short-term concern
- Volume is what matters; standards aren't an issue - more cars, more chargers

This guy also said this (emphasis added):

The various connector standards for EVs presents another issue for charging infrastructure, which perhaps could be addressed by Tesla opening up its Supercharger network. But Romano doesn’t see that happening.

The Supercharger cables, for one thing, are short. They simply couldn’t reach a different EV with a charging port situated at the front of a vehicle. So instead of tackling a massive project of retrofitting Tesla’s Supercharger network, it makes more sense to just build out new stops, Romano said.

Maybe this was lost in translation, but this implies that the CEO of Chargepoint thinks new infrastructure is needed because he doesn't realize front-ported EVs could just pull in to a Supercharger point facing forward.

• Funny
Reactions: Rouget
Maybe this was lost in translation, but this implies that the CEO of Chargepoint thinks new infrastructure is needed because he doesn't realize front-ported EVs could just pull in to a Supercharger point facing forward.

Well ChargePoint does manufacture their own DC Fast chargers which they charge a fee for so would make sense he would be pushing for new stops. With EVs being kind of new (albeit out there for sometime but gaining publicity lately) I have to question if some destination places realize the difference in charging formats.

This guy also said this (emphasis added):

I don’t know that a supercharger cable could reach a port in the center on the front, if the car parked between the lines. At an empty supercharger station this wouldn’t matter, but I don’t see it happening when other cars are parked on either side.

Of course if a new EV manufacturer does a deal with Tesla to use the superchargers, they would design the car for that purpose, including the location of the charge port. So I think it’s a red herring from a competing charge provider.

Reactions: miimura
I commented on the Jalopnik article about this but the biggest problem I see with other networks is that they are a hassle. Tesla superchargers always work. I try to use anything else and I have to figure out if I have a membership to that network, do I need an RFID card to activate the charger, does it even work etc. I had a BMW i3 before my Tesla and my experience with "other" networks was only about 25% success rate.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I commented on the Jalopnik article about this but the biggest problem I see with other networks is that they are a hassle. Tesla superchargers always work. I try to use anything else and I have to figure out if I have a membership to that network, do I need an RFID card to activate the charger, does it even work etc. I had a BMW i3 before my Tesla and my experience with "other" networks was only about 25% success rate.
Exactly. I doubt I would even try real long distance travels if I had to rely only on the non-Tesla networks. When I had my i3, I had about the same hit rate on public units. Even the BMW branded fast chargers were very flaky.

I remember reading your post. My husband has occasionally had working issues with the ChargePoints at his work. Haven't really had much experience with them away from home or the office. One thing about the Tesla network is that when you plug in it knows your car and who you are, whether you are supercharging for free or paying. You get notifications and/or bills. Not sure Tesla now would want to manage other non-Teslas in their database just for charging purposes especially now that they have gone to a pay as you Supercharge basis.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget
I remember reading your post. My husband has occasionally had working issues with the ChargePoints at his work. Haven't really had much experience with them away from home or the office. One thing about the Tesla network is that when you plug in it knows your car and who you are, whether you are supercharging for free or paying. You get notifications and/or bills. Not sure Tesla now would want to manage other non-Teslas in their database just for charging purposes especially now that they have gone to a pay as you Supercharge basis.
Tesla said they are open to accepting other brands into their supercharger infrastructure if they invest money into it. So far none have taken up the offer, and I doubt they will at this point.

I think there was a quote from Elon to that effect but that was back in 2014 from what I remember reading. A lot of S and Xs were manufactured since then and now we have the Model 3s. Wouldn't be surprised if that viewpoint has changed.