Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jalopnik's "love" for all things Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I get the underlying reason shorts post their stuff all over the Internet on sites without any significant editorial standards like Seeking Alpha and Forbes. Sites without editorial standards and the Tesla cheerleader sites like Electrek that seem to exist mostly to share referral codes with "friends" are easily understood and ignored -- but I do like to read what car guys think of our cars. Am I mistaken to assume Jalopnik is a car guys site like Motor Trend that would provide both positive and critical assessments?

Yeah. I actually trust Jalopnik more than most of the traditional auto-journos.
They do click-bait, and lots of opinion. And some light trolling just for fun. They have some folks that cannot stand Tesla, but others that are totally into it, and provide the counter-opinion. I think it is great.

If you can deal with that, they are entertaining but also pretty accurate in their reviews.

They tend to be Tesla negative. I think a lot of hard core car guys are still. They get tired of the greenies talking about EV's. Myself I'm a car guy and love Tesla not because I think I'm saving the planet, but because the cars are really awesome. Soon, once the Model 3 gets in lots of hands and is seen and driven by more and more regular folks, the tide will turn. The cars sell themselves without any environmental considerations.

I find Jolopnik's reporting on Tesla is mixed. Their story yesterday about Tesla meeting its 5,000 Model 3 production target was rather negative. I guess it depends on who's doing the writing.

This one? https://jalopnik.com/tesla-reportedly-hit-the-5-000-a-week-model-3-productio-1827270687

IMO that's a mostly positive article.

Personally I really like the Jalopnik articles, they are informative and very often just fun to read. Sometimes the articles about Tesla are more negative, mostly when Tesla has done something questionable. But they also have had a very great review about the car:
https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3-makes-the-future-feel-normal-1821684820
Which was mostly very positive.

I guess some people can't understand why not every site is reporting like Electrek. And I really wonder why they don't since the chief Editor of Jalopnik Patrick George has to drive around in a Mini, while Fred Lambert of Electrek now has a Model S and just ordered a new performance Model 3.

For EV news I personally like insideevs, but they aren't as fun to read as Jalopnik, nor as quick as Electrek.

This one? https://jalopnik.com/tesla-reportedly-hit-the-5-000-a-week-model-3-productio-1827270687

Personally I really like the Jalopnik articles, they are informative and very often just fun to read. Sometimes the articles about Tesla are more negative, mostly when Tesla has done something questionable. But they also have had a very great review about the car:

I guess some people can't understand why not every site is reporting like Electrek. And I really wonder why they don't since the chief Editor of Jalopnik Patrick George has to drive around in a Mini, while Fred Lambert of Electrek now has a Model S and just ordered a new performance Model 3.

For EV news I personally like insideevs, but they aren't as fun to read as Jalopnik, nor as quick as Electrek.
Nailed it. Thanks for having the best words. English hard...

Reactions: kablammyman

Probably this one https://jalopnik.com/tesla-did-it-with-a-ton-of-caveats-1827285289 Seemed a little harsh and maybe even misleading. For example, they used a picture with a lot of dust that the writer says represents a messy factory. The factory looked very clean when I toured it last fall although that picture is not flattering and inconsistent with what I saw.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-did-it-with-a-ton-of-caveats-1827285289

This is probably the negative article they are referring to in an earlier post. I feel the tone in Jalopnik depends on the author, i am fine with that. I have mixed feelings on the site, some times it's just a parade of articles glorifying cars from the '80s and '90s that, by today's standards, are pieces of crap.

i used to love reading Jalopnik. but in the last 6 months, they've posted at least 2 negative click bait articles about tesla. it was a huge disappointment. i've stopped reading them because they're after clicks, not providing accurate and factual information to readers.
My sentiments exactly. I used to avidly read them but now I just stick with Electrek

I've been reading Jalopnik for years... since before Tesla was even vaporware. I've always found their car insights and opinions as varied as the number of car lovers and cars... you'll see that in all their comment sections. The articles themselves are usually pretty balanced but still have an editorial and humorous edge based on the author. People read and contribute to the site because of their love of cars... people just don't always love the same thing about cars. So i'd say there is no inherent bias for or against Tesla / EV's, but there is certainly plenty of opinions on Tesla cars... both good and bad. Just like some Jalops love brown Volvo diesel wagons, others just don't get it... but everyone on the site loves cars.

My sentiments exactly. I used to avidly read them but now I just stick with Electrek

And Electrek isn't after clicks?

I find this "they are just after clicks" argument pretty annoying. That's like saying Stephen King just wants people to buy his books.

People seem to conflate "clickbait" with writing an interesting story. Clickbait is something like this: 5 Reasons Why Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Is A Genuinely Brilliant Film

And sure an author will use some tricks to get more people reading the story, it's their job. Jalopnik usually has very in depth articles, that are well written, not just a heading with some nonsense and biiiig pictures to fill 5 pages (ever wondered why you have to click next on all of those "10 reasons why fruits might make you fat" articles? More advertisement!)

Clickbait, just as fake news has become a derogatory term used to discredit journalists one doesn't agree with.

Another thing is bias. People are biased. If someone who doesn't like tomatoes has to write an article about tomato soup, it will look different than an article written by one loving tomatoes. That doesn't mean one is bought by the tomato industry and the other one is a tomato detractor. Some people like an actor, or sports person, others can't stand that person.

People are different and that's a good thing.

Now the Jalopnik staff is pretty diverse in their opinion on Tesla and that's great! That doesn't mean that there is an article for everyone on Jalopnik and that you can choose what article to read, based on the author. No, we should always try to hear both sides!

And that isn't just limited to something as mundane as cars, but also really important topics, like politics. Of course there are limits to what you can tolerate as a human being, especially when it comes to politics, but I often try to read papers like the National Review, even though I don't agree with their views, just to have seen the other side of an argument.

With the internet and a trillion TV channels it's just too easy to live in a bubble. And that isn't the media's fault, just like it isn't Nivea's fault if you drink shampoo, but it's your own responsibility as a human being.

So sure you can continue to just read Electrek, that's not really a problem, it's just cars. But please don't use the same train of thought in other parts of your life. You will just eventually make yourself vulnerable to propaganda.

I've been reading Jalopnik for years... since before Tesla was even vaporware. I've always found their car insights and opinions as varied as the number of car lovers and cars... you'll see that in all their comment sections. The articles themselves are usually pretty balanced but still have an editorial and humorous edge based on the author. People read and contribute to the site because of their love of cars... people just don't always love the same thing about cars. So i'd say there is no inherent bias for or against Tesla / EV's, but there is certainly plenty of opinions on Tesla cars... both good and bad. Just like some Jalops love brown Volvo diesel wagons, others just don't get it... but everyone on the site loves cars.
clickbait is clickbait, stay away from that non-sense.

The same author (Ballaban) wrote a piece a while back basically telling everyone they were idiots for bashing Tesla.
Cannot find it now, but it just shows how varied opinions can be over there.

It is a car news site for car needs. I am fine with whatever the opinion of each writer is about Tesla, they are entitled to that, and I don't have to be affected by any of them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The same author (Ballaban) wrote a piece a while back basically telling everyone they were idiots for bashing Tesla.
Cannot find it now, but it just shows how varied opinions can be over there.

It is a car news site for car needs. I am fine with whatever the opinion of each writer is about Tesla, they are entitled to that, and I don't have to be affected by any of them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

seeing how trump is now in power because of clickbait type articles makes me agitated when i FUD see stuff about tesla. look at the questions people ask about tesla (vehicle fire type confusion, etc.) and jalopnik's articles add to the confusion/misinformation instead of help readers.

Why does everybody care about what these guys have to say..

We know it’s a rigged game:

- When Edmunds say that GM Supercruise is better than Autopilot.. it’s rigged
- When they compare the model 3 to the Chevy bolt and concludes that it’s a tie. It’s rigged

But the tesla crowds isn’t any better. When Ben Sullins says that the Model S is a better car than the model 3? It’s rigged..

• Love
Reactions: chickensworth