Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jalopnik's "love" for all things Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Media outlets like Jalopnik (and most everyone out there) don't make you pay to access their content. So they run on ads, and to be able to charge companies enough for those ads, they need lots of eyeballs to see those ads. So headlines are made to attract attention, and articles are written to attract readers.
If you pay for access to news, those news are likely to be more balanced and less sensationalist.

I understand those two things, and I enjoy Jalopnik's content and that community. Both are opiniated, but well informed.

Most of jalopnik's readers are "car guys" who need loud engines to feel masculine. Those people feel threatened by quiet fast cars and are eager to read, believe, and repeat any negative headline about tesla.
Careful there. I'd hate to have to stereotype Electreks general readership. :)

What I see with all of these stories,(especially the "leaks" presented on Business insider, is a carefully coordinated attempt to harm Tesla. The shorts have a lot of money at stake, and they are not just betting against TSLA, they are actively trying to take it down in order to make $$$$$. They use the union as their willing accomplice.

Sorry for posting another clickbait story: https://jalopnik.com/its-possible-to-have-mixed-feelings-about-tesla-1827290718

The last column is great, but they also don't just say super nice things about Tesla, so I guess some would be too disgusted by the notion of them not donating their organs to Elon Musk (and it even gets worse in some parts), so that I will post it here:

"It’s possible for all of these things to be true, simultaneously. It’s possible that we see all of these things, together, and yet we don’t want Tesla to “die.” We’re huge fans of consumer choice, innovation and the inevitable electric future of cars, and for there to be more of those things, Tesla needs to succeed. Cars, and the car industry, are all simply more interesting because Elon Musk and Tesla are here. We even want Tesla to succeed because at the end of the day, saving the planet through fewer emissions is not only a good thing, it’s a matter of life and death itself.

And when we report something that happens at Tesla, it isn’t meant to be “negative” or “positive.” They’re just things that happen, and when what people consider to be “bad news” is reported about Tesla, that’s on Tesla, just as Tesla is more than welcome to take credit—and people should be more than happy to give credit—when it does something well.

It’s possible that Tesla can make great cars, and it’s possible that Tesla needs to get its *sugar* together."

Spoken like a person that needs a loud engine to feel masculine, I guess.

Edit: *sugar* added by this site, I guess everyone knows what is meant by it, though.

• Love
Reactions: chickensworth
Sorry for posting another clickbait story: https://jalopnik.com/its-possible-to-have-mixed-feelings-about-tesla-1827290718

The last column is great, but they also don't just say super nice things about Tesla, so I guess some would be too disgusted by the notion of them not donating their organs to Elon Musk (and it even gets worse in some parts), so that I will post it here:

"It’s possible for all of these things to be true, simultaneously. It’s possible that we see all of these things, together, and yet we don’t want Tesla to “die.” We’re huge fans of consumer choice, innovation and the inevitable electric future of cars, and for there to be more of those things, Tesla needs to succeed. Cars, and the car industry, are all simply more interesting because Elon Musk and Tesla are here. We even want Tesla to succeed because at the end of the day, saving the planet through fewer emissions is not only a good thing, it’s a matter of life and death itself.

And when we report something that happens at Tesla, it isn’t meant to be “negative” or “positive.” They’re just things that happen, and when what people consider to be “bad news” is reported about Tesla, that’s on Tesla, just as Tesla is more than welcome to take credit—and people should be more than happy to give credit—when it does something well.

It’s possible that Tesla can make great cars, and it’s possible that Tesla needs to get its *sugar* together."

Spoken like a person that needs a loud engine to feel masculine, I guess.

Edit: *sugar* added by this site, I guess everyone knows what is meant by it, though.
Clickbait? Really? Do you know what click bait is?

Anyway, I read the article and i agree with the writer. Infact, I often feel the same way that he does. I like the cars a lot. Tesla got me into EVs and is the reason why Im building my own. Without tesla, I would still be obsessed with turbo charging all the cars in my stable!
I'll prob end up with a used model S at some point as well.

However, nothing he said in the article was a lie, hes just not a tesla super fan. That doesn't mean he or others who aren't super fans (or even fan boys) want tesla to die or is a short seller!

They just see that tesla as a company acts differently than other manufacturers, and in some ways its good, and other ways its bad. Its okay to acknowledge both

They tend to be Tesla negative. I think a lot of hard core car guys are still. They get tired of the greenies talking about EV's. Myself I'm a car guy and love Tesla not because I think I'm saving the planet, but because the cars are really awesome. Soon, once the Model 3 gets in lots of hands and is seen and driven by more and more regular folks, the tide will turn. The cars sell themselves without any environmental considerations.
I've seen the tide turn at Ars Technica vehicle sub-division....to liking EVs in general as a handy instrument to vent their Tesla hate. ;)

Which, at the end of the day, I guess is good from a "less burnt hydrocarbons to choke on" way.

It's kinda funny really, sort of a luddite enclave in a general tech (and climate science) progressive site. *shrug*

Musk doesn't help much, at times dude can act like a massive dork.

seeing how trump is now in power because of clickbait type articles makes me agitated when i FUD see stuff about tesla. look at the questions people ask about tesla (vehicle fire type confusion, etc.) and jalopnik's articles add to the confusion/misinformation instead of help readers.

He is in office, because the people voting for him discredit all the articles against him as clickbait and fake news. The notion that the media is dishonest in general, if they don't agree with my views, that is what has gotten Trump elected.

People rather trusting in internet blogs, with only a hand full authors and no editorial standard, than in the "mainstream media". Does that sound familiar to you? Getting agitated when some news outlet publishes "fake news"?

Sure it seems way easier if newspapers would rather paint a picture, than ask questions. We would be way less confused, if we already had the answer...

Isn't writing an interesting well thought out article clickbait?

Unrelated question, what do you add to show sarcasm on the internet? /s? (I thought the part about organ donating and the masculinity part was enough, but I guess tone doesn't transport well over the interwebs)
/s seems to be the standard for sarcasm now-a-days.

And sorry for misreading your intent.

I've seen the tide turn at Ars Technica vehicle sub-division....to liking EVs in general as a handy instrument to vent their Tesla hate. ;)

Much of the Tesla negativity at Ars Technica is due to (1) opinion pieces written by automotive editor Jonathan Gitlin and (2) a number of auto industry employees/veterans who read Ars and write comments. They are highly offended by Musk’s trash talk.

Jonathan Gitlin is a nasty character who has flamed and/or trolled his own readership on the Ars comments sections. I’m actually surprised that Condé Nast (which owns Ars) hasn’t fired him for his sometimes unprofessional and erratic behavior. The guy clearly has issues.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I get the underlying reason shorts post their stuff all over the Internet on sites without any significant editorial standards like Seeking Alpha and Forbes. Sites without editorial standards and the Tesla cheerleader sites like Electrek that seem to exist mostly to share referral codes with "friends" are easily understood and ignored -- but I do like to read what car guys think of our cars. Am I mistaken to assume Jalopnik is a car guys site like Motor Trend that would provide both positive and critical assessments?

IMHO, Jalopnik is a fun read. However...
Ballaban and Felton are Tesla Company and Elon Musk haters. They are as even-handed and unbiased as Jim Acosta reporting on President Donald Trump. What they say might have the dim glimmer of truth, but their word-choice is filled with venom, which makes them not worth reading.

And don't you dare call out the 'thin-skinned like a Georgia peach' Ballaban on his bias, or risk being banished to the greys like me.

AND the rest of them are great, especially Fancy Kristen and Tom McParland.

• Disagree
Reactions: chickensworth