Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

James Cooke's Model S Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another reason Tesla needs to up the warranty to SIX years, and 80k miles, or, better: EIGHT years and 100k miles.

There is only one place for a Tesla repair and if this, and the various $5k CDU stories, begin to proliferate, that can be death to a brand. (How is Jaguar doing these days? At least they bumped their warranty up to five years; that's a start!)

• Informative
Reactions: Lloyd
Another reason Tesla needs to up the warranty to SIX years, and 80k miles, or, better: EIGHT years and 100k miles.

There is only one place for a Tesla repair and if this, and the various $5k CDU stories, begin to proliferate, that can be death to a brand. (How is Jaguar doing these days? At least they bumped their warranty up to five years; that's a start!)

But you can extend the Tesla another 4 years for $4k

Does the 12V battery failure common with the MX? I have a dashcam hard wired to the car and I don't want that to cause any problems
Same system, so it will impact MX - issue is the way the LA battery is cycled. Dashcam I suspect is not that significant in the idle load put on the 12V. www.BattMobileBatteries.com have a 12V LI designed for the way the MS cycles the battery - and info on how the MS uses (abuses) the installed battery.

With the number of known issues with a Model S I'd say the $4K is a no-brainer.

There is the battery issue
There is the Center Console Display issue that will cost a pretty penny if it happens.

In about one year I'll have to decide between upgrading to an AP 2.0 car or getting the extended warranty on my AP 1.0 car.

Reactions: Blu Zap
With the number of known issues with a Model S I'd say the $4K is a no-brainer.
There is the battery issue
There is the Center Console Display issue that will cost a pretty penny if it happens.
In about one year I'll have to decide between upgrading to an AP 2.0 car or getting the extended warranty on my AP 1.0 car.

I need to decide the same thing but I don't see it as a no-brainer. The 12 volt battery issue is likely within the $200 deductible. What is the screen issue? The bubbles? That seems to be a hot climate problem that doesn't apply to me. There's the door handles but they seemed to have got a lot better. Really, it is like buying insurance but my car has been pretty solid these past three years and the real expensive repairs being the main battery and drivetrain are already covered for 8. I think a better investment would be in TSLA for $4k than the Tesla extended warranty -- but both are gambling.

Doesn't the DC to DC converter always top off the 12V? Tesla's shouldn't have this problem

I currently have the 12 volt battery service message. I stopped by Tesla right when it came on a few days ago but they were too busy to get me in and they told me that I can drive it without a problem until my appointment on the 19th. So I have been doing some reading on the issue and found this:

Understanding the Tesla 12V Battery Service Warning