Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

James May’s Model S 12V battery dies…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…and he is not one bit happy. He left the car plugged in for a while, and the 12V died. Had to manually open the trunk and take out panels to get to it. Hard to blame him for being unhappy? First I’ve heard of something like this. Wonder if his 12V was about to go.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Same thing happens to my ICE vehicles when they sit in the garage for a long time.. Unfortunately Model S/X battery is way more difficult to access. Maybe next 12v replacement I will switch to the aftermarket LI-ion option. Will the new OEM LI-ion battery be available and backwards compatible?

I dono who this James fellow is but if the car is plugged in the DC to DC converter is supposed to keep the 12v system powered which is where the parasitic drain comes from. So if his 12v died while plugged in i suspect there could be an issue with the converter. My 12v is 4 years old and still going strong.

My 12v is 4 years old and still going strong

Same here...

My Feb 2017 Model S still has its original 12v battery and it doesn't seem to be ready to let go just yet (this, according to my local Service Center who checked it 3 months ago).

Last year when the corona-bug started, we packed our stuff and left our house for a year. I just plugged in my Model S to our Wall Connector with a 50% charge limit and left it there for 13 months. When we came back, the car started up without a hitch and everything was just as when we left off.

…and he is not one bit happy. He left the car plugged in for a while, and the 12V died. Had to manually open the trunk and take out panels to get to it. Hard to blame him for being unhappy? First I’ve heard of something like this. Wonder if his 12V was about to go.

It could not have happened to a better guy... ;)

I was today years old when I found out that the car had a regular battery. I assumed the large battery powered everything.
In this case, is it bad to sit and use entertainment (videos, etc...) while the car is parked? What about using the climate to cool/heat the car before getting in? Those types of things would drain the battery in a ice car.

I was today years old when I found out that the car had a regular battery. I assumed the large battery powered everything.
In this case, is it bad to sit and use entertainment (videos, etc...) while the car is parked? What about using the climate to cool/heat the car before getting in? Those types of things would drain the battery in a ice car.
Because an ICE car needs the alternator spinning to charge the battery. A Tesla doesn't. Watch videos and use accessories for days in a Tesla w/o worry. Just one of MANY reasons this technology is far superior.

Reactions: FlatSix911