TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

James Murdoch's appointment to the board..

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by smac, Jul 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. smac

smac Active Member

#1 smac, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    Discuss. (or should that be disgust?)

• Like x 1
  2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

3. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Can't be a coincidence that both new appointments have a media background..

4. smac

smac Active Member

@malcolm I'm not sure views are polarised here in the UK regarding James Murdoch ;)

For those not aware he was wrapped up in a huge scandal regarding telephone hacking. This is still ongoing, and a subsequent trial is scheduled to take place in October this year, where all the muck will no doubt be raked over again.

Phone hacking: lawyers seek access to Murdoch and Brooks email accounts

Tesla (IMHO) shouldn't touch him with a barge pole right now.

• Like x 1
  5. Electric Dream

Very strange appointment (IMO). This is probably the first and only thing Musk has done which leads me to question his integrity.

It doesn't sit well with me and won't with a lot of people in the UK.

6. Thora

Thora Member

This Murdoch appointment is wrong for so many reasons.

I'd like to be able to feel inspired by individuals that sit on Tesla board, to look up to them and to feel respect. Now Murdoch is there, I feel yuck.

I thought Tesla can do better than that and is better than that. Very disappointing.

• Like x 1
  7. Electric Dream

If anyone here is unaware of James Murdoch's management record and involvement in the hacking scandal, you only have to read an extract from the report into whether Sky TV (then BSkyB) was fit and proper to hold a broadcast licence carried out by Ofcom (our version of the FCC):

"...a company director is required to exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence in the exercise of his functions.

He may delegate, but has a duty to supervise appropriately. We consider James Murdoch’s conduct, including his failure to initiate action on his own account on a number of occasions, to be both difficult to comprehend and ill-judged.

...in our view, James Murdoch’s conduct in relation to events at NGN repeatedly fell short of the exercise of responsibility to be expected of him as CEO and chairman.

...We consider that the events set out above raise questions regarding James Murdoch’s competence in the handling of these matters, and his attitude towards the possibility of wrongdoing in the companies for which he was responsible."

Whatever James Murdoch's role is going to be at Tesla, questions should be asked regarding his suitability and motives.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  8. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

He was credited with a massive increase in BSkyB subscriptions while he was there - maybe this is what what they were looking for?

I would be surprised if Tesla weren't planning to move to a subscription model for some services.

9. Xenius

Xenius Member

Not at all a fan to start, but taking a wait and see approach. Maybe he'll turn out to not be a immoral a$$hat.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

It's interesting to read about James Murdoch's recent moves over at Fox News (arguably a pro-fossil fuel and thereby, anti-Tesla outlet that also has the ear of our 'great leader'):

Michael Wolff: It's James Murdoch's Fox News Now

Maybe, Musk and Tesla are prudently bringing over someone from the dark side.

Kudos on the appointment of the accomplished Linda Johnson Rice.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

It's like the Solar City merger all over again.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The appointment of Murdoch is concerning. It is hard for me to understand why he was chosen given his past issues.

Fortunately he cannot adversely influence the future of Tesla, he's just one board member. But why him of all people?

13. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

Finally! The last thing Tesla needs is another yes-man.

14. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Who does the actual appointing of an independent director? Most fanboy know only the name of one other Tesla employee it seems? I sincerely would like to know who picks these people and how many univerally highly regarded alternatives were passed for the honor to come to this one.

15. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

ugh - personally I wouldn't even wipe my feet on a Murdoch, but I have to trust that Tesla/Elon move is better judged than it appear at first glance.

as for a yes or no man - I would say neither., expect him to act in his own self interest and you won't be far wrong is my bet.

Like it or not the guy moves in significant media circles and it is never a bad thing to have friends in the media.
    Also Tesla were criticized for having a board too sympathetic to Elon, so Elon can keep his distance at the same time.

Elon - smart and operating on a different level to the rest of us, or a mis-step?
    only time will tell.

• Like x 1
  16. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

His background is quite distasteful tied to UK scandal but he is not cut from the same cloth as others at Fox (including his Dad).

He has been characterized as a progressive re: regards to energy policy and other topics.

17. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#17 BluestarE3, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    I wonder how a reporter/commentator for a Murdoch media entity would feel about presenting a hit piece on Tesla (or renewable/sustainable energy in general) knowing the boss sits on the board of the company whose raison d'être is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy?

18. smac

smac Active Member

If they were (and I agree they should have been years ago for Supercharger provision), why do they need Murdoch AND Johnson-Rice?

Why not pick someone out of numerous cloud service providers for example, then augment it with one media person?

19. Tiger

Tiger Member

Coverage not too bad so far:
    Maybe this will transition the whole channel to a renewable era =) ?

20. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

These sorts of things are part of Tesla's marketing plan, I expect. Instead of advertising, they work to recruit media influencers into the fold. Pragmatically, this might not be a bad idea.