TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jan '14 USA Sales ELR 41 Volt 918 Leaf 1252

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by RobStark, Feb 3, 2014.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Not sure if they'll make their goal, but isn't it still a bit early? I could see it jumping to 300ish per month if their incentives strike a chord.

This quote amused me as it reminded me of how Elon says "Model S" or Apple with iPad instead of "the iPad":

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Well, 5,000/12 =417. ELRs started arriving in Dec 2013 and they sold 6 last month. Usually for a hot new model there is pent up demand. Does not look good for 5k even though Jan is traditionally a slow month.

Recently, they adjusted downward and said goal is 3000-5000, I think they need a better lease deal to get to 3k.

Now, in the recent article linked Cadillac is saying they have no sales expectations that the ELR is a specialty vehicle meant as a brand building endeavor.

Maybe, it might reach that last goal :)

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Honestly, it's not THAT compelling when the volt is sitting right next to it for one. For two (and not to come to GM's defense here but...) it's January and we're having record storms all over the place. I'm not sure many people were buying cars at all let alone plugin hybrids with questionable value proposition.

I think 3,000 is doable, but it'll likely be close (unless something changes).

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

yikes. 41 ELRs for the whole month of January? Tesla is selling more than double that every single day. Maybe if they have a 50% discount sale they'll do better. That'll put the ELR in the price range around where it should have been in the first place.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If the ELR started at $55,000 then it might have a chance. Not great numbers for them.

8. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Cadillac never gave official projected sales forecast just whispered numbers.

2k-3k is the number floated by IHS Automotive.

More than a few articles had anonymous sources inside GM saying those IHS numbers were low, it would be significantly higher, almost double etc.

In the past year they have gone from higher more bullish to lower more bearish.

Jan is slow bad weather etc still 41 is low.

9. JST

JST Active Member

Every single review of the Cadillac I've read started and/or ended by observing that it simply costs too much.

If Cadillac ramps up the incentives, effectively making it cheaper, that will deal with the problem of selling the ELR and they may reach some sort of reasonable volume. But it won't deal with GM's larger problem of being known as the company that has to put cash on the trunk to get the cars to move.

Put it this way--the past practice with Tesla has been to price low and raise prices to meet the market. That happened with the Roadster (IIRC) and it certainly has happened with the Model S.

GM...does not follow the same strategy. To put it mildly. So, why would I buy an ELR now, knowing (or suspecting) that it will likely get effectively cheaper toward the end of this year? Probably a lot cheaper?

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think that is a reflection of his South African heritage, it's a characteristic of British English to not use "the" in front of some nouns. Sounds strange to Americans.

11. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I think Elon is sounding more American every day.

Sometimes he pronounces the word "aluminum" the way Americans say it and sometimes the way the British say it, uh loo mee nee um. When he uses the British pronunciation it always makes my ears perk up because it sounds strange coming from him.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As a Californian living 21 years with my Canadian spouse I can relate. :) My PRO-nunciation varies a bit as well.

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

January 2014 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card

$699/month lease deal GM Offers The Cadillac ELR On Lease From $699

14. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member