Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jan 2020 Ravindra Kempaiah Li & Solid State battery technology review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jan 2020 Ravindra Kempaiah reviews solid state battery development and Tesla 18650/21700 cell chemistries.
Scientific & economic details are considered. I found a very good review of current status of Lithium Ion battery technology for the transportation industry.

notable mentions include: Tesla, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW, Dyson, Jeff Dahn, Goodenough, Sandy Munro, Panasonic, IBM and many more.

IF you can comprehend the content of this review, you will know more than any reporter, analysist, even managers of vehicle manufactures except a few at Tesla and Munro Assoc. Of course there are engineers at OEMs that are capable, but are they allowed to pursue these technologies. OEM suppliers (Bosch, Continental etc.) and startups in both vehicles & batteries.

Great prep for upcoming Tesla investor battery day event - I don't know the actual event name.
Please refrain from comments until after actually watching the entire 1.5 hours. enjoy.

Jan 2020 Ravindra Kempaiah reviews solid state battery development and Tesla 18650/21700 cell chemistries.
Scientific & economic details are considered. I found a very good review of current status of Lithium Ion battery technology for the transportation industry.

notable mentions include: Tesla, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW, Dyson, Jeff Dahn, Goodenough, Sandy Munro, Panasonic, IBM and many more.

IF you can comprehend the content of this review, you will know more than any reporter, analysist, even managers of vehicle manufactures except a few at Tesla and Munro Assoc. Of course there are engineers at OEMs that are capable, but are they allowed to pursue these technologies. OEM suppliers (Bosch, Continental etc.) and startups in both vehicles & batteries.

Great prep for upcoming Tesla investor battery day event - I don't know the actual event name.
Please refrain from comments until after actually watching the entire 1.5 hours. enjoy.

Thanks! A friend liked this video so much that he sent me a topic timeline:
0:04:08 Growth of Tesla
0:05:09 Growth of Autopilot
0:06:07 2020-9 mass EV adoption
0:11:48 +electrode current
0:14:37 Conventional bats
0:18:43 2018 Shareholders (dendrites)
0:22:26 SSB Battery
0:26:08 SSB Architecture
0:30:34 SSB Complexity Galore - SPE/CSE/ISE
0:38:40 SSB Issue of interfaces.
0:44:50 SSB Toyota (0:48 EV requirements)
0:53:25 Perspectives & Summary of solid electrolytes
0:55:15 Saga of Dyson
0:58:21 Why M3 using 21700 cells
1:03:30 Cheaper + efficient M3
1:09:00 Efficiency of M3 SiC MOSFET
1:10:10 What is the way forward?
1:18:09 By Yi Cui at Stanford - Nanowire
1:19:50 By Yi Cui - Self-healing
1:21:21 Sila Nanotech w/Daimler
1:23:44 Battery 500 Consortium
1:25:17 24M: Next Generation Cell
1:27:19 Q: Tesla vs Traditional
1:30:00 Q: App store & comments

• Love
Reactions: Brando

Hydro-Québec has a research center focused on the development of new battery technologies for grid storage down to cellphones.

The Center of Excellence: A world-class innovation hub

Its director, Karim Zaghib, has co-published with Goodenough in the past, so that is the connection.

I read a couple of interviews in local media recently and they are in search of an industrial partner - be it a car manufacturer or a battery manufacturer - as they don't want to do this alone. So right now, all this is still at the R&D and laboratory level only.

The publications tab on their web site provides a background of what they are up to.

Hydro-Québec has a research center focused on the development of new battery technologies for grid storage down to cellphones.

The Center of Excellence: A world-class innovation hub

Its director, Karim Zaghib, has co-published with Goodenough in the past, so that is the connection.

I read a couple of interviews in local media recently and they are in search of an industrial partner - be it a car manufacturer or a battery manufacturer - as they don't want to do this alone. So right now, all this is still at the R&D and laboratory level only.

The publications tab on their web site provides a background of what they are up to.

One would presume that Tesla knows about these guys and their technology and have evaluated it already.