Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jan. 2021 Model Y Adaptive cruise control without radar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I've been searching the answer to my problem but couldn't find the specific one.
I see lots of people are complaining about radar getting "dirty" (or whatever whatever it's called) in the snow and cruise control stops working.
It happened to me this winter on a long trip very slippery highway very bad conditions with every few kilometers you could see a car in a ditch with no close exit to take a rest where I started to have a pain/cramp in my foot that started from numbness. All I needed to rest to foot for 30-60 seconds even though the speed was only 45km/h (about 28mph) yes on highway. If I release a pedal it starts slowing down so hard that cars starts dancing in the middle of the highway, I couldn't even stop the car as visibility was close to zero (whiteout).
By having the radar blocked by snow or frozen and disabling the cruise control is extremely dangerous and not safe. I would never say that before until I really experienced it myself.
I hear models after May 2021 are released without radar (mine is purchased January 2021 in Canada).
Do you know or think that our cruise control can be enabled without using the radar and if so would that be just a future software upgrade or maybe hardware upgrade as well?
Also, since that is not possible yet is there any other way to use the cruise control (for short foot resting purposes only) without the radar or if not at least how to clean the stupid radar when/if I can pull over?

Thank you

Hi all,
I've been searching the answer to my problem but couldn't find the specific one.
I see lots of people are complaining about radar getting "dirty" (or whatever whatever it's called) in the snow and cruise control stops working.
It happened to me this winter on a long trip very slippery highway very bad conditions with every few kilometers you could see a car in a ditch with no close exit to take a rest where I started to have a pain/cramp in my foot that started from numbness. All I needed to rest to foot for 30-60 seconds even though the speed was only 45km/h (about 28mph) yes on highway. If I release a pedal it starts slowing down so hard that cars starts dancing in the middle of the highway, I couldn't even stop the car as visibility was close to zero (whiteout).
By having the radar blocked by snow or frozen and disabling the cruise control is extremely dangerous and not safe. I would never say that before until I really experienced it myself.
I hear models after May 2021 are released without radar (mine is purchased January 2021 in Canada).
Do you know or think that our cruise control can be enabled without using the radar and if so would that be just a future software upgrade or maybe hardware upgrade as well?
Also, since that is not possible yet is there any other way to use the cruise control (for short foot resting purposes only) without the radar or if not at least how to clean the stupid radar when/if I can pull over?

Thank you

Your options:

Park your car and defrost/clean the radar area.

Pay for FSD and pass Safety Score to get FSD beta that disables your radar.

You mentioned poor vision which is very bad for FSD beta.

Back to radar: In poor vision like thick fog and if you got a small break from the thick fog that you could start Autopilot, you then can override the AutoSteer to disable it and the radar cruise will continue to work even when the stretch of the road is foggy. You can't do that with FSD beta.

Hi all,

Thank you
drive with your left foot for 30 seconds