Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

January 2014 Club Ride - Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey StephenM, saw you on the freeway westbound this morning. That was me in the silver MS taking the Kapiolani cutoff!
Wait, this was yesterday morning, right? I was westbound in the morning yesterday and waved to the driver of a silver S and he waved back, but I was not driving this morning.
StephenM, did you check your phone app to see if your car is where you left it? maybe someone else was having fun driving your car.
nope, it wasn't me either. I just checked my phone app and my car is where I left it.

For the 1st time ever, I'm having range anxiety..is this how Leaf owners feel ? :tongue:

I may may have to juice up somewhere along the way....too bad we don't have superchargers (although I can't "supercharge" anyway)

Last edited:
For the 1st time ever, I'm having range anxiety..is this how Leaf owners feel ? :tongue:

I may may have to juice up somewhere along the way....too bad we don't have superchargers (although I can't "supercharge" anyway)

Nanimac, I got a 40 as well. Was thinking of doing an around the island drive sometime, and had the same concerns. Will be interested in your feedback after tomorrow. Thanks.

Think you'll be fine Nan as long as you do a range charge (how many rated miles do you get on a range charge?)

Have fun you guys!!

I'll bring a tow cable. :scared: Just kidding. . . Now worries, I think you'll be fine. If needed we can stop in Laie or Turtle Bay if your'e concerned along the way.

- - - Updated - - -

StephenM and any others wanting to try and jump in along the way, here's the route:

Start time is 8AM at the garage across from the TJ Maxx near Ward (the lot where we met last time)...second level. From there, we'll go down Ala Moana Blvd, through Waikiki on Kalakaua Ave., around Diamond Head Rd. into Kahala, up and through Hawaii Kai and around the south shore into Waimanalo. Proceeding through upper Kailua, we would end up on Kamehameha Hwy. along the waterfront in Kaneohe, and then around the Windward side and North Shore. Finally our passage through the pineapple fields would bring us back through Pearl City, and into Honolulu for a conclusion at Nico's along the waterfront (ample parking) for lunch.

Feel free to call me anytime to find out where we are: 6 79- 7 03 8

We managed to complete the trip around the island. I invited the first electric Porsche Panamera for the trip but he didn't make it to the start. Probably due to his 20 mile electric range. I figured Nanimac wouldn't be so sad and would ease her range anxiety if someone else ran out of charge before she did.:redface:
Our start location did change a bit from TJ Max. I tracked us using my visible Tesla app and it seems we started in Northwest Territory Australia. (Elevation 1391.1 feet)
Here is a screen shot of my car display for any skeptics in the audience. Just desert sand for miles.:confused:
IMAG0191crop.jpg

After crossing the pacific we came ashore at TJMax to continue our ride. At this point Nanimac was in awe of her battery usage from Australia to Hawaii.:love: It must have been the drop in elevation...
MLK_Drive1.png

We waited until 8:30 to depart TJMax.
MLK_Drive2.png

Made stops at Sandy Beach, the Botanical Gardens, Turtle Bay for Lunch and some voltage at the Turtle Bay (still BetterPlace) chargers.
the only additional stop was a brief pit stop at Dole Plantation.
113.8 Range Miles 108.8 miles actual.

Last edited:
I am glad that nanimac made it around the island. I have the same range anxiety as she does as I have the same model. I did a trip from Koolina to Waialae Ridge, back to Koolina and then back. I was left with 25 miles. Did the calculation and found out that the trip was a bit over 90 miles. So Tesla is accurate with the assessment of the range, even though I live up on the mountain and lose about 10 miles going up my hill.