Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

January 2014 Investor Presentation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Articles/megaposts by DaveT

Here's a link to an investors presentation dated January 15, 2014 from Tesla Motors (thanks fengshui for posting it to the group):
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2921970389x0x720221/5647bed2-1c27-4b40-abd3-dd11f8bc474e/Investor%20Presentation%20-%20Jan%202014.pdf

There are a lot of interesting tidbits and it's definitely worth your read.

They define Tesla Culture as their greatest asset:
Move fast.
Do the impossible.
Constantly innovate.
Reason from "First Principles"
Think like owners.
We are ALL IN.

Got to love that. (I especially love the reason from first principles and the we are all in.)

It's also to note for Gen3 that they expect a base price of $30-35k. Elon mentioned $35k (without incentives) before at the battery swap post press conference. So $30-35k is aggressive in expectations.

Also for Gen3, they note:
"Category-leading gross margin"

This is great news as well. I don't think Elon has ever gone into specifics with Gen3 margin (only that he would choose lower margin for Gen3 to reach a wider audience). I'd love to hear Elon mention what Gen3's long-term margin goal is. I would imagine somewhere between 15-20%, though 20% might be too high. Maybe 16-18% would be my guess.

Last edited:
Here's a link to an investors presentation dated January 15, 2014 from Tesla Motors (thanks fengshui for posting it to the group):
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2921970389x0x720221/5647bed2-1c27-4b40-abd3-dd11f8bc474e/Investor%20Presentation%20-%20Jan%202014.pdf

There are a lot of interesting tidbits and it's definitely worth your read.

They define Tesla Culture as their greatest asset:
Move fast.
Do the impossible.
Constantly innovate.
Reason from "First Principles"
Think like owners.
We are ALL IN.

Got to love that. (I especially love the reason from first principles and the we are all in.)

It's also to note for Gen3 that they expect a base price of $30-35k. Elon mentioned $35k (without incentives) before at the battery swap post press conference. So $30-35k is aggressive in expectations.

This is great news as well. I don't think Elon has ever gone into specifics with Gen3 margin (only that he would choose lower margin for Gen3 to reach a wider audience). I'd love to hear Elon mention what Gen3's long-term margin goal is. I would imagine somewhere between 15-20%, though 20% might be too high. Maybe 16-18% would be my guess.

I like slide 11 showing model s vs other similarly priced cars. I think this data shows that Tesla is not going after a small market of EV buyers but against a much larger market of luxury buyers, and they are blowing out the completion.

Nothing groundbreaking here but still fun to read. One interesting thing was how they used $$$$, $$$, and $$ for describing the cost of the Roadster, MS, and Gen III respectively. Possibly alluding to a low-cost '$' car in the future.

Also Gen III $30-$35k with "category leading gross-margins". They definitely see a clear path to that price point considering how often they are quoting it, and now it's in official literature.

Thanks DaveT. In addition to what you mentioned I also liked the fact that they are still presenting Model X as being in production late 2014 still. It seemed recently that the 'buzz' was pointing more to early 2015 as first production.

According to Deutsche Bank's proprietary work for their July 26, 2013 report Tesla expected to have 35% gross margin for Model S/X and 25% for Gen 3 on a combined volume of only 200K/year. :biggrin:

The full quote (PM me if you'd like a copy of the report):

Based on proprietary work in this report, we now believe that Gen3 can fully close the cost premium gap to the BMW 3-Series segment while generating gross margins in the 25% range. If Tesla can get to 5% share of its addressable market (200k units, including Model S / X), we expect gross margin in the 28% range all-in (~35% for Model S/Xand ~25% for Gen3). And even if R&D / SG&A costs nearly triple from current levels, they would be in the 8% of sales range, implying 20% EBIT margins.

Last edited:
I checked back an hour later and it worked. Must have been something transient at the download site. Interesting slides, but nothing really new that I could see.

I agree for all of us who follow TM closely but it reaffirms TMs committment and I have shared it with friends/family who wonder why I am 'all in' :wink:

Thanks DaveT, for the post. I thought slide 32 (Service slide) was kind of interesting. It states "No schedule Maintence". I wonder if this has anything to do with Tesla's forthcoming service anouncement. I know Tesla has backed off on the 12,000 mile inspection requirement but they are still want it to be brought in once a year. Maybe Tesla is finding out that the inspections are really unnecessary and the car really only needs to be serviced when there is a specific issue.

Thanks DaveT, for the post. I thought slide 32 (Service slide) was kind of interesting. It states "No schedule Maintence". I wonder if this has anything to do with Tesla's forthcoming service anouncement. I know Tesla has backed off on the 12,000 mile inspection requirement but they are still want it to be brought in once a year. Maybe Tesla is finding out that the inspections are really unnecessary and the car really only needs to be serviced when there is a specific issue.

Was thinking the same thing. Plus regretting my prepaid 4Y service $1600 contract, should have put that money in shares instead, last year.

I'm not a professional investor, so I might be totally wrong here...my question is who is the target audience for something like this? are they pitching this to potential giga-factory partners or large investment banks who want to participate in a secondary offering for a giga-factory?