Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

January 4th 2017 Gigafactory event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it sounds like it was just an investor reassurance that everything is going well. Nothing new here.

Maybe Elon was practicing giving Boring updates ;)
Actually, I read it a bit differently. Tesla appears to be actively trying to change its image of not being able to deliver things on time. The announcement was that they've turned on the factory (last month, quietly), and have done so ahead of schedule. They also said that they delivered on their employment commitment to Nevada ahead of schedule. The investor angle is, of course, important too, to maintain their stock price and valuation. Besides the fact that they are making batteries, the engineering manager in me also sees that they are being smart about deploying those batteries in the PowerWall product line first. That's a product that is not so much in the public spotlight, and with lower unit demands, so a better place to iron out any kinks uncovered in the production ramp. They know that they need the factory to be running well in order to meet the demands for the Model 3 ramp, and this is evidence that they have a solid plan in place to do so.

The only thing I didn't read in the announcement is how the other suppliers are doing on their July 1 targets. But certainly, Tesla's gigafactory is not going to be the supplier that will hold things up.

So, no more information about Model 3 during the Q&A...?

According to Adam Jonas (via Electrek), Elon made a comment about keeping "our Model 3 powder dry on announcements" and identified the components with the longest lead times (e.g. stamping dies) as carrying the biggest risk with respect to timeline slippage. So, nothing game-changing... but it does sound like they're slipping into radio silence with respect to the Model 3 ahead of Reveal 3.

According to Adam Jonas (via Electrek), Elon made a comment about keeping "our Model 3 powder dry on announcements" and identified the components with the longest lead times (e.g. stamping dies) as carrying the biggest risk with respect to timeline slippage. So, nothing game-changing... but it does sound like they're slipping into radio silence with respect to the Model 3 ahead of Reveal 3.
Indeed they are.

The only reason Tesla has gotten ridiculed in the past is because they have missed professed dates. So now... they aren't saying anything.

What would you guys rather have? Would you rather have Tesla miss a date or to be left in the dark concerning announcements because of their unrelenting scruitiny.

Elon is becoming more and more inconclusive and cryptic about dates and prices and such ( anything he/Tesla has been criticized for in the past).

Lessons learned - I guess. As a customer, I would rather have the information and Tesla miss the date than to be in the dark for long periods of time. Of course I am probably in the minority on this one.

What would you guys rather have? Would you rather have Tesla miss a date or to be left in the dark concerning announcements because of their unrelenting scruitiny.
I don't need dates... I would simply like status reports.

What's going on? Even if it's conservative, it's still showing progress. Show me some working manufacturing robots, show me a crash test, etc. I need my Tesla Model 3 news fix otherwise i go crazy. :confused:

Reactions: Red Sage
Indeed they are.

The only reason Tesla has gotten ridiculed in the past is because they have missed professed dates. So now... they aren't saying anything.

Elon is becoming more and more inconclusive and cryptic about dates and prices and such ( anything he/Tesla has been criticized for in the past).

Lessons learned - I guess. As a customer, I would rather have the information and Tesla miss the date than to be in the dark for long periods of time. Of course I am probably in the minority on this one.
judging by the normal reaction on here - most people seem to take dates as a contract obligation from Tesla and are apoplectic when those dates are missed with some calling for compensation or other recompense. Posts complaining about being lied to and misled are much more common - AP2 being the most recent case in point.
So I think Elon really has learned so now we see the flip side.
Welcome to the world those people have created for the rest of us who take dates as guidelines.

What's going on? Even if it's conservative, it's still showing progress. Show me some working manufacturing robots, show me a crash test, etc. I need my Tesla Model 3 news fix otherwise i go crazy. :confused:
LOL,

I wonder why folks don't say the same thing about Ford and GM. No one asks about their robots and such. I think no one asks about those companies because they aren't as transparent as Elon/Tesla. Elon has been extremely open compared to CEO's of other companies. Now folks want to bash him when he acts like other companies' CEO's on occasion ie. non-transparent, quiet, sitting on their yachts, non communicative.

judging by the normal reaction on here - most people seem to take dates as a contract obligation from Tesla and are apoplectic when those dates are missed with some calling for compensation or other recompense. Posts complaining about being lied to and misled are much more common - AP2 being the most recent case in point.
Welcome to the world those people have created for the rest of us who take dates as guidelines.
I agree.

The problem that I have is that some of those dates quoted by Elon are just words...they aren't official Tesla commitments - however folks want to take them to court over them.
Well - now Elon isn't saying anything. Congratulations to the law-suitors. You have want you asked for at the cost of us who just seek some kind of information.

Lastly....I don't believe Elon has learned anything. He knew this bashing might happen and decided to be himself anyway....until he got frustrated. Now he's not himself because of the bashers and criticism and threatened law suits. He's somewhat withdrawn - outside of twitter.

I wish there was some kind of protection for nice people in the world....it used to be called ethics.... but now ethics are about as worthless as a piece of gum on the bottom of someone's shoe.
Unforgiveness, rudeness, vileness, hate, mistrust and the like seem to be taking center stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV and Red Sage
LOL,

I wonder why folks don't say the same thing about Ford and GM. No one asks about their robots and such. I think no one asks about those companies because they aren't as transparent as Elon/Tesla. Elon has been extremely open compared to CEO's of other companies. Now folks want to bash him when he acts like other companies' CEO's on occasion ie. non-transparent, quiet, sitting on their yachts, non communicative.
Even something as simple as a manufacturing gif.

63ec35b5db0ccbb613e76e048fee4c2d.jpg

• Funny
Indeed they are.

It was nearly three years ago in 2014 that Elon noted he would be keeping things 'Close to the Vest'. Now, he has noted they will 'Keep their Powder Dry'. Both of those statements are... prudent. But mostly because Tesla Motors is a publicly traded company. As such, there is always the looming threat of accusations of stock manipulation. And that would bring the SEC or other regulatory organizations down upon them. Something that is even more likely to be a potential danger, considering the incoming Presidential Administration.

I would much rather have Elon say whatever he wants, whenever he likes, to whomever he feels a need, without filter or restriction. Unfortunately, in order to reach the goal, he must take a more conservative path toward changing the world than either of us would like. Otherwise he will be tripped up by vindictive forces that are already on the lookout for any excuse to derail his ambition.

Of course, I am blessed with the world's worst timing ever. I am often considered to be rude, self absorbed, and inconsiderate. But then, from my perspective, it is the people who hold that opinion that are actually speaking of... themselves.

"He couldn't keep time to save his mother's life." -- Ringo Starr

Reactions: ModelX
It was nearly three years ago in 2014 that Elon noted he would be keeping things 'Close to the Vest'. Now, he has noted they will 'Keep their Powder Dry'. Both of those statements are... prudent. But mostly because Tesla Motors is a publicly traded company. As such, there is always the looming threat of accusations of stock manipulation. And that would bring the SEC or other regulatory organizations down upon them. Something that is even more likely to be a potential danger, considering the incoming Presidential Administration.

I would much rather have Elon say whatever he wants, whenever he likes, to whomever he feels a need, without filter or restriction. Unfortunately, in order to reach the goal, he must take a more conservative path toward changing the world than either of us would like. Otherwise he will be tripped up by vindictive forces that are already on the lookout for any excuse to derail his ambition.

Of course, I am blessed with the world's worst timing ever. I am often considered to be rude, self absorbed, and inconsiderate. But then, from my perspective, it is the people who hold that opinion that are actually speaking of... themselves.

"He couldn't keep time to save his mother's life." -- Ringo Starr
I don't consider you to be rude or self absorbent or inconsiderate in any way at all. Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Unfortunately there has been a shift in today's society. Too often people these days look and feel successful by pulling others down who are on a higher rung on the ladder than they are. Instead of becoming better or improving themselves, they attempt to drag others down the ladder because they can't achieve what their higher rung cohorts achieve. Societal activities such as rudeness, unforgiveness, insults, law suits, and just plain evilness have been taking center stage. Equally as unfortunate is the fact that there aren't enough ethical folks willing to get together as a group or even stand as individuals against this kind of thing.

Elon seems to be an extremely nice and smart guy. However I've been concerned with how he is being affected by folks on the other side of the spectrum than he is. I'm glad he has surrounded himself with folks to take the brunt of the discord coming his way, however it seems to be leaking through the cracks because he is different than he was when the roadster hit the market. He's not smiling like he used to anymore.

Once again, the sharks in the water would certainly claim there was something 'improper' and 'unusual' about such updates. I think that Faraday Future is probably going to give the level of updates you would prefer, at least for the next two or three years. But there are those lying in wait to charge Tesla should there be any 'sense of impropriety' to use as an excuse to persecute them formally. Trolls, H8t3rz, ANALysts, $#0r+s, and Bears are one thing, the Court System and Federal oversight is another entirely.

"Best Block: No be there." -- Mr. Miyagi​

Exactly. And it is precisely those types of complaints (often lodged by Astroturfers, it seems) that lawyers, and consumer groups, and regulatory agencies and the like might decide to 'investigate' such claims and then determine that 'there oughtta be a law' or 'they can't do that' or something. At that point it all becomes about accusations and rarely has anything to do with the actual truth.

"This is why we can't have nice things." -- The Story of My Life

LOL,

Other companies very openly display 'concept cars' at trade shows year round. Everyone knows full well that there is no chance in [BRAVO HOTEL] that they will ever be produced. It's all part of the dance.

So, everyone watching presumed the same about Tesla Motors from the outset. Tesla Roadster, Model S, Model X... No one believed any of them would be 'REAL Cars' at all when they were first unveiled. They were presumed to be, 'Toys... for the RICH!!!' at best, and concept cars at worst, never to be seen on public roads in any quantity. Take a look at video reviews of the Model S from 2012 through 2013, and the phrase 'this is a REAL car' is stated multiple times across them with surprise and incredulity.

When CEOs at traditional automobile manufacturers speak publicly about their product lines, the cars are already finished. They don't comment publicly on 'The FUTURE!' beyond perhaps a quarterly outlook, if that much. The problem is those who observe the automotive industry are used to predictability, and there isn't enough of that at Tesla Motors for them to feel comfortable in their profession.

LOL,

I think most of the reason is that there are not close to (if not more than) half a million people waiting on a car from any other manufacturer. With that being said, it is also certainly more noticeable to us for Tesla for the simple reason that we're reservation holders and we're here, on the forums, on a regular basis so we are exposed to all of the people asking for information. If you were waiting on a Bolt and we're on their forum every day you might see the same thing, if to a lesser degree.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I wonder why folks don't say the same thing about Ford and GM. No one asks about their robots and such.

Mature automotive companies have definitive, long lead time launch cycles. They have the scale and resources necessary to tool up. They typically aren't launching products and features via Twitter, on the fly

Frankly, I don't care how the car is built. Christmas elves, robots, slave labor. It doesn't matter. I care about QA, testing, fit and finish, and the final product without all the drama.

Mature automotive companies have definitive, long lead time launch cycles. They have the scale and resources necessary to tool up. They typically aren't launching products and features via Twitter, on the fly

Frankly, I don't care how the car is built. Christmas elves, robots, slave labor. It doesn't matter. I care about QA, testing, fit and finish, and the final product without all the drama.
sadly its those "mature" companies that have the big problem producing something that will really compete.
I refer to them a "geriatric" rather than mature :)
Mature automotive companies take six months to plan changing the font on the instrument cluster, then involve the required seven to ten sub contractor companies to execute the change. Then finally they will roll it out into the year after next model release with a different paint color.
Thankfully Tesla isn't a mature automotive company and I hope they never become one.

I think most of the reason is that there are not close to (if not more than) half a million people waiting on a car from any other manufacturer.
Well, there are those roughly 750,000 people who already know they will be buying a Ford F-Series pickup truck this year... Or next year... For the foreseeable future. That being, until a Tesla branded pickup truck arrives, or is announced... Then F-Series sales will probably drop the same way that 3-Series have over the past nine months.

Reactions: dsvick