Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan earthquake...Hey Benji, you ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm keeping posted on the nuclear situation, but don't know enough about nuclear plants to make any judgments, esp. with some people purposefully injecting hyperbole. Hopefully more experts (preferably unbiased) weigh in to clarify the picture. I live in the west coast of the US (as do a bunch of people in the forum), so if the radiation really becomes significant (like the graph that was proven a hoax), I'll be downwind. Not to mention those living even closer.

Last edited:
But smaller this time. I expect that the talk of drilling holes in the roof reduced the build up of cracked water hydrogen so when it went up it was a smaller bang. I wonder if the dirty seawater has been the cause of ignition, the cooling water is normally pure.

I think that the destruction of the outer building is akin to blowing off the outer wrapping. Now they'll be able to vent more steam without any explosions.

But smaller this time. I expect that the talk of drilling holes in the roof reduced the build up of cracked water hydrogen so when it went up it was a smaller bang. I wonder if the dirty seawater has been the cause of ignition, the cooling water is normally pure.

I think that the destruction of the outer building is akin to blowing off the outer wrapping. Now they'll be able to vent more steam without any explosions.

The reason why sea water is a problem is that the impurities in it can become "activated", i.e. contaminated with radionuclides. Also for the reactor it is corrosive.

Those chimneys you can see are for the purpose of venting the steam, the fact that they were filling the building says they had a reason not to release it up the chimney.

By they way, spot the sensationalism here: BBC News - Japan quake: Radiation rises at Fukushima nuclear plant

It seems that France and Hungary (and probably others) are shipping their diplomats out of Japan and urging their citizens to leave as well. I have a friend who works at the Hungarian embassy whose wife and kids are getting shipped out to Beijing tomorrow, but he has to stay here in order to make sure other Hungarian citizens are informed that they should leave. Reports in the Japanese press are currently stating that ratiation levels are 20x normal now in Tokyo. That doesn't seem good somehow although it apparently is still well below levels that would cause health problems. But if one of the cores were to meltdown, what kind of levels would we be looking at then???

(this is in Japanese)
Radiation at 20x normal levels in Tokyo.

Last edited:

It's driving me crazy - people are running around with tin-foil hats here declaring the end-of-the-world as though the radiation from the reactor is somehow worse for them than the tons & tons of crap they cheerfully ingest from the junk food to the diesel particulates. There are children here with asthma and loving parents saying, "You're not well today, let me run you to McDonald's in my 11mpg SUV". Arrrgh!

If anybody here has Verizon FiOS they are giving channel 1770 free for a limited time. If you tune to that channel and press the option button on your remote (brings up a menu) then press the right arrow and select Spanish the language will be in English (weird I know) and then you'll be able to listen about news about the earthquake/tsunami and the reactors. Also, Verizon is giving free calls to Japan until 4/10 for FiOS subscribers. Just wanted to let people know about that. Also, believe I read that AT&T is giving free calls to Japan for the mobile subscribers.

-Shark2k

Yes, actually I have not been driving hardly at all in order to conserve power. Over the past few days I've only driven maybe 10km per day. In addition, lights are turned off, heaters turned off -- Tokyo is pretty dark at night these days. Most train lines are running now, but the schedules have been cut in half or more on most lines. And rolling blackouts are in effect in many parts of the city (not where I live fortunately).

You can imagine right now though, if everyone drove electric cars, the situation would be even worse! That said, since most people don't have electric cars, I'm in a way better situation since I don't have to wait behind 50 or 60 cars for my 10 liter per day ration of gasoline. Some of the gas lines I've seen around town are just amazing. Since I need just a bit of charge each day, I just plug in when I get home, top off, and I'm ready to go when I need to drive. In a normal situation when utilities have lots of excess power at night, many, many more electric cars on the road would work just fine. But we are in a very rare situation right now of course, so this happens to be the one time when maybe not having too many electrics on the road just yet turned out for the better.

Given that there are fuel shortages, I'd think it would be advantageous to have an EV.

Very true that being in the minority is really a good thing at the moment! Gas is scarce, but so is electricity unfortunately. But with electricity, at least there is no line you have to wait in to get it (unless you consider a rolling blackout to be a kind of "line")! The other thing is that the Roadster is just so darn effecient that I don't need much electricity to run it. Even if I drive 350km it costs just about $6 to charge fully, and with me driving 10-20km average per day, it sounds like I'm looking at maybe $10-15 per month?

I have a very energy efficient house as well (all LED lighting, very efficient appliances, etc.), but even that costs about $150 per month to power, so the car is maybe just 10% of my total power bill at that moment! My house is all electric by the way.... so no gas bill to worry about. Gas has also been shut down in a some of parts of the city, so I was pretty glad not to have to deal with that either.