Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @Bipo:
Japanese Model S is European spec car with American electronics, I heard. So we have American Tesla connector. We also have J1772 slow charging in many destination places, so it makes sense. We can use J1772 adapter to charge from those slower J1772 stations. We all have CHAdeMO adapter bundled with the cars.

I think the vehicle inlet decision was also driven by the lack of 3-phase residential utility supply in Japan. The prevalence of J1772 made using the Tesla inlet an even easier decision.

Australia has the relatively unique problem that they do have some J1772 public chargers in place, but no commercially available adapter for a J1772 handle to go into a Type-2 vehicle inlet. The adapter cable is relatively easy to make from off the shelf parts, but it has to be custom made because the use case is not common.

Thanks. Given the similarities between US and Japanese home supply, use the same no-3ph connector makes sense. Moreover, type2 connector requires neutral, and 200-240 V supplies both in US and Japan are split-phase (so no neutral).

Elon just tweeted:

Elon Musk (@elonmusk)

Noodles in Shinjuku

Bw745ZoCQAA2ACR.jpg

Ramen Jiro... not good for health!! :)

BTW some press coverage today, and one of them had a photo of Japan's first supercharger!

Tesla Supercharger in Totsuka - Car Watch
This is located within Totsuka Service Plus Center. Four plugs, 24h access, but Totsuka is not a good location for trip charging. Mostly for service plus center folks.
Service Plus Center seems to be service center + showroom.

Last edited:
58364ceaf4da3586158b9fe77031cdbd.jpg

At Japan launch, Model S waiting for delivery at Grand Hyatt Tokyo

fc44bcabc05a62360d397c2485ea18fd.jpg

Launch party (before people get in). Wasn't able to take photo but Elon crack opened Sake barrels on stage with 8 owners.

279dea29b729710c3b1c680b84bd586d.jpg

Elon speaking. No unknown news at this time, but during the party I heard Tesla will build 30(?) Superchargers in Japan. As of today two open, one at Grand Hyatt (2 stalls) and another at Totsuka SC (4 stalls).

90de550a8b9c81353196e9db7659cec2.jpg

Supercharging for the first time to test, at Grand Hyatt. Normally we were told that we can ask the valet to charge the car for free. Note that this parking normally costs $2 per 10 minutes.

Great pictures. Glad to see Elon still recognizes the value of launching new markets by appearing in person.

It's important that he shows the importance of Japan by being there. Model S/X isn't going to sell because of the size, but their battery partners are Japanese and they have to make sure that Japan is ready to buy when the 3/Y hit.

- - - Updated - - -

The sign made me look twice. It seemed to spell S ≡ X. :)

Good spot: although I see a Y there too...

Hiroshiy-san - congratulations on your delivery! I was glad to see that Musk appeared in person. I am eager to hear how well the Model S does in Japanese streets and how you utilize it. I don't think it would fit on the street by my grandmother's house in Osaka.. but then again, I have seen Hummers in Nagano - they will make it work!