Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is perfect! Here're some small issues which you might be interested.

Right hand mirror (mirror itself, not the case outside) doesn't move outside enough. Yes it went enough to outside, but I wanted a little bit more. Could be RHD unique issue. I checked another new car but it was similar. Left mirror go outside enough, but right mirror stops almost...

My TPMS warning is on. However I was told Japanese Model S doesn't have TPMS. I'll try reset the console.

To conect CHAdeMO adapter you have to be quick. Model S waits just a few seconds until the charger starts talking to the car. You first open charge port, remove the charger plug, connect the adapter, then insert the adapter to Model S. Within a few seconds, you have to press start button on the charger, or you'll get a red ring.

The car is perfect! Here're some small issues which you might be interested.

Right hand mirror (mirror itself, not the case outside) doesn't move outside enough. Yes it went enough to outside, but I wanted a little bit more. Could be RHD unique issue. I checked another new car but it was similar. Left mirror go outside enough, but right mirror stops almost...

My TPMS warning is on. However I was told Japanese Model S doesn't have TPMS. I'll try reset the console.

To conect CHAdeMO adapter you have to be quick. Model S waits just a few seconds until the charger starts talking to the car. You first open charge port, remove the charger plug, connect the adapter, then insert the adapter to Model S. Within a few seconds, you have to press start button on the charger, or you'll get a red ring.

Definitely all things Tesla should be told about.

Hadn't noticed this on my (UK) RHD car, but tried it just now and found that my comfortable position is at about 95% on the adjustment....

Not sure it's RHD specific though - obviously with RHD the right-hand mirror is critical, but the mirrors look to be symmetric and I'd expect to have the same problem with the left-hand mirror on a LHD car.

I noticed the same issue with the test drive car in Sydney. The right hand mirror doesn't go out as far as the left hand one. I thought it was just a defect in the test drive car, but looks like this could be a bigger problem.

Re RHD right side mirror, when you get your RHD car delivered, better to check. If you prefer to see your car in your mirror about 10-20%, no problem, but if you make it less than 10%, you may want to talk to Tesla. For me it's not a big deal, and on delivery I've met an US based Tesla engineer and now he's aware of this.

Today was my first parking anxiety with the Model S. ;)
’“ŽÔ￾ꌟ￾õƒTƒCƒg Parking Navi | •i￾ìƒCƒ“ƒ^￾[ƒVƒeƒBƒp￾[ƒLƒ“ƒO

Can you see yellow metal blocks on the corners of the tray? If you can move your car on the tray it will stow the car automatically. This parking is connected to Bullet train station so I sometimes use as a park and ride.
Actually those metal blocks are only 195cm away and with my 19 inch I couldn't go through. Maybe I could just avoid the blocks to the left and back in to the space and later align the car, but I was about to be late for the train so the parking attendant offered me a flat space.

How well is music from USB working on Japanese Model S?

In my UK-spec car, if I insert a USB stick with all our music (copied from the iTunes folder on a Mac), none of the songs with Japanese titles can be found in the indexes of albums/artists/songs. However, if you go to 'browse by folder', the folder names and file names all display correctly and the song titles display correctly while playing.

Has this been fixed on Japanese-spec cars? My car offers various european languages for the user interface, but not Japanese.

Hiroshiy, nice to meet you. I was also at the TESLA debut party at the Grand Hyatt. Can you please share more of your experiences with your Model S? Which version did you buy? I'm also waiting on the arrival of my Model S, looking forward to any tips and suggestions you can provide. It is really true, does the car make you grin (smile)? Yoroshiku onegashimasu

Hi, @susteki,
Were you in the first party at the Tokyo City View, or at the second one in the grand ball room? I was at the 2nd.

I purchased sig P85 not plus with 19 inch wheels. I preferred P85+ but my condo parking only allowed 19 inch / 8J wheels. Less than a quarter inch left on both sides of the parking.

I'm very satisfied with the car! Every day I enjoy 6km commute on highway and driving in the city. Even in the center of Tokyo it's like riding a bicycle - just air-conditioned and huge. In ICE vehicle I had those jerky movements with 1st and 2nd gear switching back and forth, frequently shift-down from 6th gear to 4th and 3rd with big engine noise!

Recently I had 1300km road trip (650 one way) with CHAdeMO charging 6 times. The last Nissan charger had some smokes after 90 minutes but other chargers worked fine. My experiences about CHAdeMO -
1. It's slower than Supercharger. At 50kW you need to stay 40-60 minutes, or if you're empty 90 minutes to max charge.
2. In Japan beware those mid-power and low-power CHAdeMO stations. Those are 44kW at Nissan, 30kW at Mitsubishi, 25kW at michinoeki (shopping plaza for local agricultural products) and even 10kW! Hard to find those information in advance.
3. I can't say in general, but I experienced frequent disconnects with the last Nissan charger. Tesla engineer explained that some Nissan chargers had high noise levels that prevent CHAdeMO communication. I needed to reconnect for 7 or so times for 90 minute charge and then smoke :) I'll avoid Nissan chargers. They are at Nissan dealers and NEXCO East operated highways.
4. On highways hedge your bets between 2 different CHAdeMO locations between 200km and 300km away. If NEXCO Central you have a web page to check availability so before entering the rest area check them. Charge at the first station after 200km if available, you can skip if occupied.
‹}‘¬[“dƒVƒXƒeƒ€ Ý’uSA‚Ì‚²ˆÄ“à b NEXCO’†“ú–{ŠÇ“à@“d‹CŽ©“®ŽÔ—p‹}‘¬[“dƒT[ƒrƒX
5. Many, maybe the most, stations are limited for 30 minutes. That's IMO to prevent Leafs to charge over 80%, but us Model S owners have a lot of inconvenience. Need to restart the charging session every 30 minutes. I wanted to do some sightseeing while my Model S was charging for over 60 minutes but had to stay at nearby cafe to go back to the car and restart.

Hi @Hiroshiy,

Congrats on your purchase!! I was at the 2nd party also. A friend and I attended, if you were one of the sig customers i might have a picture of you on stage with Elon! It was a great evening and the wine was also very good! hahah

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me, it is very good information to know about the CHAdeMO network, 50kW only. I believe our daily commute is fairly similar, I'll be driving about 6km daily on the highway coming from the Setagaya area as I work in the Akasaka. Where did you go on your road trip if I may ask?

Thanks again for the information, any additional time and tricks you learn please do share.

Hi Hiroshi, thank you very much for all of the information provided, very helpful! In short, 50kW+ chargers are the only way to go unless power is really needed. Where did you travel to on this road trip?

Our daily driving commute is fairly similar, I will be driving from the Setagaya area to Akasaka for work. Fortunately as I live in a house I was able to buy the P85+.

I was also at the 2nd party at the Grand Hyatt ballroom, the food and wine was surprisingly very good! :) I have a few more questions, I hope you don't mind me asking. How much and where did you go for car insurance?
What color is your MS? Has your MS been updated with the new 6.0 firmware? How are finding the navigation function for Japan?

Than you.

Hi, @susteki,
>I was at the 2nd party also. A friend and I attended, if you were one of the sig customers i might have a picture of you on stage with Elon!
Yes! I was one of the guys on the stage with Elon. Could you send me your pictures? Nobody took photo of myself...
>Where did you go on your road trip if I may ask?
I went to Fukui via Shin Tomei expressway, Meishin Expressway and Hokuriku Expressway, charging at Hamamatsu (Shin Tomei) SA (=rest area) and Owari-Ichinomiya (Meishin) SA.
>Has your MS been updated to V6.0?
Not yet.
>And do you get many questions from people about your car?
Not really - only once, while charging at Hamamatsu SA, my car was surrounded by 10 old people with some questions.
>How much and where did you go for car insurance?
I asked the agent "Partner" (funny name...) to apply for the insurance. I was able to carry my safety rank (#20, the best) to the new insurance and it cost me $1K per year. Cheap.
>What color is your MS?
Blue, I like this color!
>How are finding the navigation function for Japan?
Navigation is not provided yet in Japan. Turn off Bluetooth on the phone and use Google Maps on the phone with the speaker ON as the nav.

At Grand Hyatt Tokyo Supercharger, it seems that if you stay in the car then the parking fee $2 per 10 minutes is free, but if I leave the car and go into the hotel or shopping complex then I have to pay the parking fee.

IMHO this doesn't make sense at all. Tesla could put it in the adjoining parkings, which are about the half cost with much more space. Hyatt gets potential clients and/or parking fees, and Tesla gets nothing?

The car is perfect! Here're some small issues which you might be interested....To conect CHAdeMO adapter you have to be quick. Model S waits just a few seconds until the charger starts talking to the car. You first open charge port, remove the charger plug, connect the adapter, then insert the adapter to Model S. Within a few seconds, you have to press start button on the charger, or you'll get a red ring.
You guys have ChaDeMo adapters already? I thought Tesla Motors were still only testing them. There are hardly any ChaDeMo chargers in HK (yet, anyway), though if not too expensive, I would have a cable myself (just to keep my options open). A good alternative to a supercharger ...