Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I closed a contract for the office parking, which is non-mechanical. We call it 平置き or lay-flat. I have a current contract for mechanical until the end of May and from June I will park my ICE car on the lay-flat parking. Until my Model S gets delivered - possibly at the end of this year. Yes this sounds too early but lay-flat parkings are very scarece in the center of Tokyo so just to be on the safe side. I talk to five real estate companies to find the lay-flat parking near my office, only one of them found only one lay-flat space with 100V 15A wiring. I met the owner, and he seems to be OK for me to place HPWC in the parking so I'm requesting TESLA to get me the diagrams needed for electricians. Good news is that most Japanese buildings receive 6kV from TEPCO, so I don't have to worry about the physical line - cost must be very high though.

Hiroshiysan,

Even if you order a Performance model I suggest you get 19" wheels. I believe TM will let you have 19" wheels with the Performance model but won't give you a discount for giving up 21" wheels. 21" wheels ride much harder than the 19" and have less problems with rim rash.

@Elshout: yes I will or maybe I have to. Will see MS 19inch test drive and see how it fits to my condo parking.
During the last 21inch test drive in Tokyo I didn't feel it that hard. It was acceptable ride quality for me. My ICE car is 245/35 in front and 285/30 in rear (20inch) so I might get used to hard ride feel :)

Update: Tesla decided to put 19 inch wheels that were previously equipped to demo chassis at the showroom, to the test drive car. I'll be able to test drive 19 Sig Performance hopefully next week.

The other funny story is that the office parking management company quoted approx $20K-$40K for the 200v/80a wiring. I found another lay-flat parking with electricity access so tomorrow I'll see if it's cheaper to install.

Test drove 85kWh Sig Performance with 19 inch wheels. Found out that with 19 inch Model S barely fit my garage (mechanical) in my condo, approx 0.2 inch available on both sides. As I wrote before my condo's parking size (mostly width) is one of the biggest in Tokyo, I'm relieved that I can buy this car, however for typical luxuary car drivers in Japan it is too wide for most mechanical parkings and people need to be extra cautious to park the car. I would like Tesla to consider Japan as one of the important market worldwide, and do some more research on its market.

So today I was finally able to park Model S into the parking and I came up with more suggestions for Tesla...
(1) Yes the car is unnecessary wide. Keep it within 190cm tire-to-tire and will fit many large sized Japanese parkings that accomodate Merc S class.
(2) The mirror doesn't fold electronically. Many mechanical parkings have sensors installed and ask the driver to fold the mirrors when entering the parking space. You have to get out and fold mirrors every time you park.
(3) The daytime running lamps can't be turned off. When parking the car, I switched off the headlights. Then slowly coming into the parking system, the daytime running lamps are too bright and they are reflected by the mirror in front of the parking and lights are hitting my eyes. Mirrors are typically installed in many mechanical parkings to align the car straight.

I'll buy the car anyway but I would hope Tesla address the above issues in the future.

I think you do not need 200V/80A at all. In my case, I charge my roadster at home using the normal 100V/15A outlet as most of the time I only need to top off. Whenever I have a long ride and my battery gets low, I just take it to any of the available HPC around Tokyo for a quick charge so I always have my car with a full battery and ready to go. That works for me very well and save me a lot on electricty bills.

Update: Tesla decided to put 19 inch wheels that were previously equipped to demo chassis at the showroom, to the test drive car. I'll be able to test drive 19 Sig Performance hopefully next week.

The other funny story is that the office parking management company quoted approx $20K-$40K for the 200v/80a wiring. I found another lay-flat parking with electricity access so tomorrow I'll see if it's cheaper to install.

@penpen: Thanks for the suggestion; 100V/15A? As I recall, Model S's power consumption seemed to be 275Wh/km (in congested Tokyo road) and if you drive 50km a day, That's already 13.75kWhm, and it will take 13.75/1.5=9 hours to top up to full charge. If you don't drive daily that would work, but for me it's too slow as I can only charge at the office :)

Are you going to order Model S?

Re; office parking, I seems I will end up paying approx $12K for the 200V/80A wiring and HPWC installation. It is going to be an underground lay-flat parking with car elevator.

Hi Hiroshi,

My roadster is my daily commuter so I use it at lot but if you cannot charge it at home, it totally makes sense to install at least a 200V circuit where you park you car the most after home. I go to Shizuoka every other weekend and have there a 200V/30A electric stove connector that replenish my battery during the night.

I am interested in the Model S but my wife does not like driving a left-hand car, so I may get it after it becomes available in Japan in a year or so. Good thing is that it fits on my parking!
models@home.jpg

@penpen: Thanks for the suggestion; 100V/15A? As I recall, Model S's power consumption seemed to be 275Wh/km (in congested Tokyo road) and if you drive 50km a day, That's already 13.75kWhm, and it will take 13.75/1.5=9 hours to top up to full charge. If you don't drive daily that would work, but for me it's too slow as I can only charge at the office :)

Are you going to order Model S?

Re; office parking, I seems I will end up paying approx $12K for the 200V/80A wiring and HPWC installation. It is going to be an underground lay-flat parking with car elevator.

Was on a bus tour in Tokyo on a family trip and just drove past the Tesla Aoyama store and was undeniably thrilled by seeing Tesla in a foreign country! (also thrilled by seeing a black Roadster driving along Omote Sandou)

@penpen: nice fit for the Model S in your parking. Yes left hand drive also bothers me a little bit, and while my wife doesn't drive she is worried about safety. But I'm looking forward to getting one sooner I may get LHD.

BTW I encountered a black Roadstar (not sure it was Obsidian or Jet) at one of the underground parking at Toranomon yesterday. It's so cool! It was connected to HPC. Was that yours? :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• White exterior paint (0:02).
  • Silver 21" wheels (0:02).
  • Sig nosecone (0:03, 0:16).
  • No spoiler (0:17).
  • No rear emblem for 60/85/P85/P85+ (0:22).
  • Metal pedals (0:35). (Suggests Perf.)
  • White or gray interior (0:35).
  • Sig branding in the rear chrome (0:26).
  • Sig branding in the triangles (0:29).
  • Lacewood (second video, ~0:44).
  • Alcantara on the A pillar (second video, 3:40). (Suggests Sig or Perf.)
  • Piping on seats (second video, throughout). (Suggests Perf interior.)
  • Missing cubby under 17" (second video, 8:16).

Good shot of the front fog/cornering lights area @ 0:16.

Different "Lights" UI than in the U.S. vehicle.

Tokyo vehicle
second video @ 2:22
(A)(B)
(DRL)
(FOG)
(Off)(Parking)(On)(Auto)

U.S. vehicle
(Off)(On)(Auto)(Ambient)
(DRL)
(FOG)
(Off)(Parking)(On)(Auto)

Different "Doors & Locks" UI than in the U.S. vehicle.

Tokyo vehicle
second video @ 3:10
(FRONT TRUNK)
(LOCK)(UNLOCK)
(CHARGE PORT)(TRUNK)

U.S. vehicle
(FRONT TRUNK)
(LOCK ALL)
(CHARGE PORT)(TRUNK)

Last edited:
A lot of interesting things in those pictures. Such as the About box with U.S.-looking-VIN ending in S00759, v4.3 (1.25.45), and P85.

Odd that I couldn't see the other 3 buttons in the "Doors & Locks" UI in the video. I'll look again.

Update: Weird. I see them now. I'll update my other post.