Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japanese Custom roadster...haven't seen this before.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
article on Speedhunters.com about learning how to drive smoothly (=fast)

when you scroll down, it looks like they have a custom Tesla Roadster that they track!
Would like to see it without all of the graphics but kinda like the overall shape!

anyways here is the link and the two pics of the roadster

1 Way To Really Improve Your Driving | Speedhunters

- - - Updated - - -

pics

Dino-Fuji-Driving-Course-02.jpg
Dino-Fuji-Driving-Course-12.jpg

What makes you think this is a Tesla Roadster? The roadster was built using a prefab body kit from Lotus . Anybody could order one and put whatever they want in it. Detriot Electric's been trying to make a roadster killer too using a newer body kit from Lotus:

detroit-electric-car.jpg

What makes you think this is a Tesla Roadster? The roadster was built using a prefab body kit from Lotus . Anybody could order one and put whatever they want in it. Detriot Electric's been trying to make a roadster killer too using a newer body kit from Lotus:

1> The article says "Tesla Roadster that Yokohama customized with some one-off aero work."
2> Roadster was NOT built using a prefab body kit. It was a custom designed body made specifically for Tesla and the chassis underneath was extensively customized for Roadster use only. Yes, it shares many parts with the Elise, but the chassis itself was extended, sills lowered, strengthened, etc.
3> The Roadster body panels were custom manufactured carbon fiber, whereas Lotus own cars were using fiberglass.

View attachment 41701

well if you read the article it clearly states its a Tesla Roadster that they did a custom body kit and the driver talks about the instant torque...

but what do I know. LOL
and as far as I know the Detroit Electric was vaporware

- - - Updated - - -

1> The article says "Tesla Roadster that Yokohama customized with some one-off aero work."
2> Roadster was NOT built using a prefab body kit. It was a custom designed body made specifically for Tesla and the chassis underneath was extensively customized for Roadster use only. Yes, it shares many parts with the Elise, but the chassis itself was extended, sills lowered, strengthened, etc.
3> The Roadster body panels were custom manufactured carbon fiber, whereas Lotus own cars were using fiberglass.

lol what TEG said

What makes you think this is a Tesla Roadster?

Quoting from the article:

"While our cars were left to cool we had a quick outing in this Tesla Roadster that Yokohama customized with some one-off aero work. A famous Japanese journalist took us out in the slalom course to give us a demonstration of the sheer pace that this thing can hold up around the cones. What blew me away the most was the ridiculous acceleration and instant torque of the electric motor!"

Looks like they really cut down the air flow through the condenser with that front custom aerodynamic nose, curious if their battery temps rise faster than with the stock nose. The cooling pump is circulating coolant thought that condenser and when your moving the air is wicking it way out through the top hood fins, but if there's less airflow there's less opportunity to help dissipate the heat.

Also they removed the side vents that are essential for cooling down the PEM and Motor!! A Tesla engineer told me those are essential for having adequate airflow for cooling down those components.

Update:
Now looking closer at the areo package they put on, if they did it right and it looks like there is a possibility, it looks like the front has some functional fins that are subtle, since they blend in with the decals, which appear to allow air to flow to the condenser. Now looking at the fins, I see the same opening of fins on the side right in front of the rear wheels that most likely are allowing the same but most likely more air to enter the PEM/Motor area.

I do like the front headlight re-design. Odd they stayed with the stock wheels.

Last edited:
Corporate Information|THE YOKOHAMA RUBBER CO., LTD.

YOKOHAMA develops “AERO-Yâ€￾ EV Concept Car / Q1 / 2013 / YEU / News / Yokohama - Yokohama Europe - Tyre company

THE YOKOHAMA RUBBER CO.,LTD:Up Close
topics2_top.jpg

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2013/01/yokohama-develops-aero-y-ev-concept-car.html
YOKOHAMA_EV_01.jpg

The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd., announced that it first presented the "AERO-Y" that is the company’s conceptual electric vehicle (EV) at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2013 with NAPAC being held in Japan from January 11, 2013. The "AERO-Y" has been designed for the research and development of YOKOHAMA proprietary technologies...

800px-Yokohama_Aero-Y_rear_2013_Tokyo_Auto_Salon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know that. So those sides don't do anything at all? Just curious from someone living on the heat if Texas.

Nope, they're just decoration in the 2.0 and 2.5s. They help vent the wheel well, and that's about it. The intake for the blowers is at road level.

I'm considering running a flexible duct from the driver's side vent to the box around the blowers for extra airflow and protection against road debris. It looks like there's room to run a duct above the wheel well liner, maybe a project for when my warranty expires.

Interesting that the video shows some of their new Bluearth tires on the front of the car. They look like performance summer tires in the video. I wonder how they perform and if they are available in Roadster sizes (hard to tell cuz it's not an oem wheel in the picture). Also, Yokohama was not the provider of the oem wheels on my car. Only the tires.