TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Japanese Model X crashed into motor cyclists - one killed on Sunday

Discussion in 'Model X' started by EV_enthu_jp, Apr 29, 2018.

1. EV_enthu_jp

EV_enthu_jp Member

April 29 - Kanagawa, Japan
    There was a small accident on Tomei Highway and a minivan stopped on the highway lane.
    A motor cycle bumped into the rear of minivan and the friends of the motorcyclist were rescuing him for a while.
    Then, Tesla Model X crashed into them without any breaking efforts, one killed and two injured.

It is unknown whether the Autopilot was activated or not as of now.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

#2 Tiger, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Tesla autopilot and emergency braking both crap. Autopilot should be allowed to operate in shadow mode only until they actually work.

Trying to save lives here. Autopilot has killed like 10 people per 300k vehicles sold. If that was an airbag ratio, there would be a recall.

• Disagree x 15
    • Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  3. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Should all other vehicles without perfect emergency braking also be recalled from the roads? Even a Volvo doesn't stop in all cases.

Should we also disable airbags on all cars until we know for sure they can't ever kill anybody?

• Like x 7
  4. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

#4 Tiger, Apr 30, 2018
    If airbags (like Takata) had similar kill-ratio as Tesla Autopilot, they would be reacalled.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

We should remove humans from drivers seats of cars as well since 100% of car accidents have a human inside the car.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

When a human causes a fatal accident, their permit to drive is usuall revoked for a time period and in extreme cases they must re-apply for the license to regain permit. Same should apply to autopilot, otherwise we might have the same lunatic pilot driving in parallel in multiple cars simultaneously globally worldwide.

Stop and fix is the only way to evolve technology responsibly. Tesla should do a voluntary autopilot "recall" after so many incidents.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  7. Raechris

Raechris Member

@Tiger - have you confirmed AP enabled at time of collision? Even so AP does not kill people, inattentive drivers kill people. Whether they are texting, eating, grooming, drinking coffee, using cruise control, changing media, daydreaming or using AP.

• Like x 4
  8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

False conclusion based on erroneous assumption of causality.

• Like x 5
  9. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

#9 jimmyjohn, Apr 30, 2018
    I'm totally convinced that --- when all is said and done --- that Elon will realize that people should be feared above anything that AI could ever do.

You morons need to learn how to drive.

Pay attention.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

xkcd: Robot Future

Randall Munroe agrees about fearing people.

11. rainforest

rainforest Member

Autopilot doesn't kill people, but it does give people the opportunity to abuse it.

• Like x 4
  12. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

The current U.S. stat for vehicle fatalities is 11 per billion miles, which, with average yearly vehicle miles of 13473, would be 11 per 74000 vehicles per year.

So on a 300k vehicles fleet there should be 44 fatalities. Per year.

If Tesla brought this down to 10 fatalities in 3 years, they've already won the battle. And I don't think it's as high as 10 even.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

I come to this forum to learn something about my car and help other fellow owners with anything I can. However, day by day, it’s turning into haters spreading their misinformation.

Hey haters: why don’t you create your own forum instead of coming here, looking for any excuse to trash Tesla.

I suggest teslahatersclub or teslashortersclub - and leave us alone.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  14. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

LOL. I think many people hate Tesla because they don't offer Model S/X at $20k for the base 75D model with free EAP.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  15. linkster

linkster Active Member

Ahem.....some of the more sensitive types on this forum may deem your non-pc term “morons” to be a form of “cranial capacity shaming” and might seek a safe space for this form of micro-aggression.;) Jus' sayin'.

Personally, I agree 1,000% with your post.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

There is little information available right now and this is kind of typical "collateral damage" type accident that happens all the time. Japanese news outlets didn't mention Tesla and one day already passed. I think this will be forgotten soon.
    Hope more information will be available and faster recovery of the injured, and condolences to the motorcycle guy and his family, who was walking on the passing lane.

17. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

AP is not crap at all. The latest version holds a lane with much less wandering than many manually driven cars I see on a daily basis. Since I started using AP I notice more than ever how crap humans can be at driving along a simple lane and how often they tailgate each other.

The problem is when people expect AP to literally self drive without any human management. AP is now so good that you can easily become complacent with it. Like the recent knob in the UK who got filmed driving along the motorway whilst sitting in the passenger seat.

AP is not crap, but humans certainly can be at times!

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. PeterK

PeterK Model X & 3 Owner

According to the newscaster, the driver of the car that hit them (the Model X), a company employee, was arrested. A 40 year old man died.

• Informative x 1
  19. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

The Estonian is completely wrong anyways. The rate of deaths with auto steer on is far less than without auto steer. Per the NHTSB, who are not Tesla's biggest fans either. But stats are stats. So technically speaking, Autopilot is safer than humans, but we already knew that.

Report finds Tesla’s Autopilot makes driving much safer

• Like x 2
  20. hill

hill Active Member

first - you have failed to note all lives saved by tesla crumple zone(s)
    Second - you fail to catagorize. You can't stop (for example) every oblivious person from running into a tesla. That's to the peril of the oblivious person.
    Third - You appear to lump tesla driver/occupants versus others that may be involved.
    So you see .... that kind of like result skewing like yields incorrect conclusions.
    I'm just like sayin' ......
    ;)

• Like x 3