Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japanese Tesla Import Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, I know many of you will not be interested in this being NZ New Tesla owners. But for some of us in the second hand market, it was the only way to get our hands on one (especially with the current wait times on MX and MS being 2023/4). I checked the NZTA registration data and it shows 76 of us who have bought/sourced an import from Japan (mostly MS). Is that you? I'm keen to chat if so, share some experiences. Message me direct, or post below.

Screenshot 2022-03-02 161009.png

Reactions: Audietron
Hey there, I know many of you will not be interested in this being NZ New Tesla owners. But for some of us in the second hand market, it was the only way to get our hands on one (especially with the current wait times on MX and MS being 2023/4). I checked the NZTA registration data and it shows 76 of us who have bought/sourced an import from Japan (mostly MS). Is that you? I'm keen to chat if so, share some experiences. Message me direct, or post below.

View attachment 775607
I was almost there.... but then ended up buying M3 and book Model S/X/Cybertruck to get whatever comes first with refreshed design.
I hope other used car users register here, less likely as mostly used car users heavily depend on info from dealers, or try to discuss in country of import area of forum.

I think the Japanese cars have Tesla type connector, no type 2 /CCS2
make sure it comes with a mobile charger of some sort

I have seen Japanese MS charging at vector 50Kw DC charger with CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter
the owner said it came with the car

Drive EV offers conversion for about $6k

Yes, the car does come with a home charger 10A, but I have managed to score a Tesla Gen 3 charger that has the Tesla Jap/US style connector.
Amazing what you can get off Trademe sometimes!
CHadeMO are available for these from Korea, but are sold out at the moment.

As long as I have a good home option, I'm OK for now.

The Drive EV conversion would be nice, but $6k is too much at the moment.

Reactions: Audietron
Yes, the car does come with a home charger 10A, but I have managed to score a Tesla Gen 3 charger that has the Tesla Jap/US style connector.
Amazing what you can get off Trademe sometimes!
CHadeMO are available for these from Korea, but are sold out at the moment.

As long as I have a good home option, I'm OK for now.

The Drive EV conversion would be nice, but $6k is too much at the moment.
Smart move...
Only during road trip you need adaptor to use commercial chargers, otherwise home charger charges nicely everyday. If battery still under warranty, ideal to leave it to 100% to allow trickle charging, if outside warranty then better never let it go under 20% or over 80% - as replacement is crazy expansive.

"Super handy for Type 2 EV owners - to use with Type 1 power stations, chargers & cables around NZ."

How, why? You cant plug that into your Jap import tesla that uses a US tesla socket and we dont exactly have an abundance of type 1 charging sources youd be worried about?

Reactions: Matt_NZ