Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan's New Energy cars, last year 238% increase, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

renim

Apr 6, 2013
Oz
upload_2018-2-14_15-1-19-png.280264

China secured nearly 50% shares in global new energy passenger vehicle market

Japan's New Energy cars, last year 238% increase, why?
cars, which ones?

• Disagree
Reactions: JayInJapan
@renim as I'm not in the automotive industry it is difficult to know the complete numbers, but I can guess.
自販連のホームページ
At the bottom, on the right there are top 50 selling (standard, not Kei) cars sold in Japan in 2017. Only one EV/PHEV showed up in this list - Nissan Leaf 16.925. Other than Nissan Leaf, there are Prius PHV, i-MiEV, Outlander PHEV (probably <8000), European plug in hybrids and Tesla. In this sheet, Prius PHV is included in Prius and Outlander PHEV is also included in Outlander, and no foreign manufacturers are counted. There's a separate organization that publishes numbers but not in detail (only per manufacturer).

So if I were to guess, the sales number in 2016 seems to be already too high.
EV等 販売台数統計_調査・統計_CEV、EV・PHV用充電設備、水素ステーションの補助金申請の案内行う次世代自動車振興センター
This is the statistics from government, it says 28,868 in 2016. That's about right, 16k Leaf, 8k Outlander, 5k rest.

For 2017, to add 100k cars, I agree with your assumption. Note e-Power.
日産 ノート e-POWER、累計販売台数10万台突破…11か月で達成 | goo 自動車&バイク
One data point, but Nissan announced in last Novemer (Nov 2017) that in eleven months, they sold 100k Note e-Power cars. The car was made available on November 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: renim and cwerdna
@renim as I'm not in the automotive industry it is difficult to know the complete numbers, but I can guess.
自販連のホームページ
At the bottom, on the right there are top 50 selling (standard, not Kei) cars sold in Japan in 2017. Only one EV/PHEV showed up in this list - Nissan Leaf 16.925. Other than Nissan Leaf, there are Prius PHV, i-MiEV, Outlander PHEV (probably <8000), European plug in hybrids and Tesla. In this sheet, Prius PHV is included in Prius and Outlander PHEV is also included in Outlander, and no foreign manufacturers are counted. There's a separate organization that publishes numbers but not in detail (only per manufacturer).
Thanks! I've looked at the above list numerous times before knew only Japanese automakers were included but didn't realize it didn't included kei cars.

Reactions: hiroshiy
The idea of EV is finally taking hold in Japan despite Toyota's efforts to subvert the movement with a 'hydrogen future.' Toyota is making a big mistake but it's hard to blame them as they are shackled to the ICE economy. The Nissan Leaf is selling very well and EVs will continue to become more and more popular. While I believe hydrogen will be very important in a energy abundant future, at some point as Toyota keeps losing market share, they will have to join the EV party. :)

Reactions: hiroshiy