TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Java on browser?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by JohnQ, May 8, 2013.

1. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I was trying to bring up a WebEx on the big screen on the way to work today--please, no criticisms, I brought it up on my iPad instead which had greater risk--and got a request to enable Java on my browser. Curious from those who have mucked about:
    1. Is Java installed or installable?
    2. Is there any way to display a WebEx on the browser?

2. nickt

nickt Member

The browser does not support Java. It barely supports proper web browsing. While the HTML rendering engine is probably based upon WebKit, there's a lot of functionality that doesn't work properly, or doesn't work well. Take a look at http://www.html5test.com from your car to see how poorly the browser performs (hint: it's pretty close in score to Internet Explorer)

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Given the amount of time it takes for Tesla to roll out a release, I don't think they could keep up with the security fix of the week for either Java or Flash. This would leave them with a highly vulnerable system. Not supporting either is a good thing in my opinion.

Not to mention that it would be hard to comply with the regulations that don't allow video to be viewed from the driver's position.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Thanks, guys. None of this really surprises me but thought I'd ask folks with more technical skills than I have.