Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jax to Tampa Roundtrip Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First road trip in my 85 next week, and I've persuaded my wife to come along for the ride. The Intercontinental, where I have a meeting, has no charging facilities, and Larry's thread/map doesn't have any Tampa hotels on it. Mark LaPlant at the Service Center has graciously offered to charge the MS there, and run us into town & pick us up the next day. May be the best option, but that limits dinner possibilities and strands my wife at the hotel in the morning.

Alternatively, instead of driving through Gainesville, I can top off at the Port Orange Supercharger and would probably need to pick up 50 or 60 miles at a public charging station to relieve range anxiety to make it back to Port Orange. Anyone familiar with the charging stations at the Walgreens on Westshore, AAA, or City Hall? Anything to do around those locations to keep occupied while charging? Does the Walgreens charger need a Chargepoint Card?

What seems most feasible. Are there other options I haven't found? Thanks very much.

Since I live in Tampa, never have tried any chargers except the one at home. The Tampa Service Center idea may be your best bet. Your hotel is across the street from Westshore Mall, which has several good restaurants, including a Palm (steaks and lobsters), Maggianos Italian, Mitchell's Seafood, and PFChang's. I believe there also is a Shula's in your hotel. There also are several great restaurants only a very short cab ride away, including Roy's, Landry's Steakhouse, Ruth Chris, and Ocean Prime.

re your wife being trapped, there is another great mall a short cab ride from the hotel- International Mall. I would check with the hotel to see if there might be a free shuttle to the Mall. She also can head out on a little longer cab ride to hit downtown Tampa for the Tampa Museum or the Florida Aquarium. Unfortunately, that could be expensive (probably $35-$40 round trip).

If you opt for the Tampa Service Center option, I'd take the Port Orange route, as it will bring you into town closer to the Service Center. I used Port Orange over the weekend for a trip to and from Flagler Beach. Worked flawlessly. FYI, from Port Orange to Tampa was around 140 miles. I went from a full max charge and had around 100 miles left when I got to Tampa. I was NOT driving conservatively ( probably averaged 75 mph).

have a great trip.

I can recommend the Dali museum in St.Pete which is not that far to drive and you (your wife) can plug-in while visiting. (Chargepoint card required!). Also the main waterfront at St.Pete has lots of free charging and it's a great place for restaurants/lunches.

I can recommend the Dali museum in St.Pete which is not that far to drive and you (your wife) can plug-in while visiting. (Chargepoint card required!). Also the main waterfront at St.Pete has lots of free charging and it's a great place for restaurants/lunches.

+1 re the Dali Museum. I'm not a big museum fan, but loved it. Great restaurants all around too.

if you charge there, make sure to confirm whether you have to pay for parking. Parking tickets can be expensive.

Walgreen's and AAA are both ChargePoint, looks like only AAA is free, but Walgreen's is $0.49/kWh. The one at Publix that Lawsteve suggested does not require anything but your J1772 adapter, it's the same type I used this weekend. I got about 19 mph, just for your planning info!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Mark has offered me a loaner overnight, assuming no one has a more pressing need and one is available. Very accommodating service since the only warranty service the car might need is it to have someone look at the hatchback to see if a minor adjustment is needed to its alignment. Its barely noticeable - didn't see any difference until looking at the car very carefully with the detailer. So I really wasn't expecting that it would justify a loaner under the circumstances. But if it works out, we'll be all set.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Mark has offered me a loaner overnight, assuming no one has a more pressing need and one is available. Very accommodating service since the only warranty service the car might need is it to have someone look at the hatchback to see if a minor adjustment is needed to its alignment. Its barely noticeable - didn't see any difference until looking at the car very carefully with the detailer. So I really wasn't expecting that it would justify a loaner under the circumstances. But if it works out, we'll be all set.

Tampa Service Center folks are great. Have a safe drive over and enjoy Tampa. If you have any other questions or issues, please feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number to contact me.

Steve

Did the trip Jax to Tampa October 18 with return October 20 in a P85. Jax to Port Orange and max charge. Port Orange to Fairfield Inn SR60 and I-75 overnight then a quick scoot next morning to Service Center with 110 miles left. Quick visit but stayed 2 hours for a 70 amp HWPC charge. Then over to Westshore Springhill Suites and parked for 3 hours at AAA - ignore the signs the Chargepoint chargers are on when they close - also across the street is a Hyatt Place. Drove over to the Centro Ybor Parking Garage on 17 Ave. and 5 St. one Chargepoint charger by east side entrance/exit. Topped of to get max charge while eating at the best Argentinian restaurant El Puetro. Went back to Westshore and parked. Full max charge so going to Port Orange was at full speed - took the short cut by exiting I-4 at SR44 and followed the directions to the Supercharger. No cost for any charging.

I'm doing this same round trip (JAX-TPA) next weekend for a short 4-day cruise. Thanks for the helpful information in this thread. My plan is to top-off at Port Orange SC, then direct Tampa parking garage on Channelside Dr. I plan to call Tesla Tampa Service Center to see if I can get a couple hours' HPWC charge, whatever it takes to get back to 160 rated range. My ChargePoint card is on order just in case.

I'm doing this same round trip (JAX-TPA) next weekend for a short 4-day cruise. Thanks for the helpful information in this thread. My plan is to top-off at Port Orange SC, then direct Tampa parking garage on Channelside Dr. I plan to call Tesla Tampa Service Center to see if I can get a couple hours' HPWC charge, whatever it takes to get back to 160 rated range. My ChargePoint card is on order just in case.

Not sure when you are arriving. If it is on Saturday, be prepared for horrendous traffic and lots of road closures downtown. It's our annual Gasparilla Pirate Fest and parade. It will be a total mess downtown. If you need to come in on Saturday, come in from the Ybor city area. Do not try to exit downtown. Enjoy your cruise.

Sounds like a good plan with Steve's caution.

Welcome to the forums.

If you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature.

Larry

I plan to call Tesla Tampa Service Center to see if I can get a couple hours' HPWC charge, whatever it takes to get back to 160 rated range.

When we did the trip in October, I was able to leave my MS overnight at the Tampa Service Center to get a full range change. Came home using the scenic route through Ocala, Starke, Penny Farms & & Orange Park bypassing the Port Orange supercharger. About 205 miles to Mandarin. Had over 40 miles of range to spare.

Not sure when you are arriving. If it is on Saturday, be prepared for horrendous traffic and lots of road closures downtown. It's our annual Gasparilla Pirate Fest and parade. It will be a total mess downtown. If you need to come in on Saturday, come in from the Ybor city area. Do not try to exit downtown. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes ATP_JD, you will *not* be able to get to the Channelside Drive chargers (my favorites) during Gasparilla. I was there last year and came in the day before without a problem, but would not have been able to get in during.