Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno Loves EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy crap where did that come from? Did Jay invest in Tesla Motors or is he so rich he can say what he thinks without worrying about offending his sponsors anymore. That was without a doubt one of the best unsolicited testimonials forTesla that I have read yet. Jay pretty well  made the case for the future of Tesla and the EV. I am sure he has helped sell a few cars for Tesla with his comments. Jay was losing me as a fan of his show but I will cut him a little slack now. Thanks for the link that a good one.

It's great that we have confirmation on Jay the the Roadster!  All we had was other Ev thoughts here: http://teslamotorsclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,151.0.html 

I note he said he actually drove it. Since very few people have been allowed to drive EP2 (the red one) I'm betting he drove one of the the VP prototypes. I mentioned the the magazines would be driving the new VPs so a high visability celeb like Jay who has his own running Auto column would be a perfect choice to get a first drive as well.

Off to a terrific start though I am wondering why it's published in the UK but not here http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/ or here http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/jay_leno_garage/
yet...

The very first and only response to a great article mentions LiIon being dangerous. I think Tesla needs a big campain showing that its battery pack is safe.

Quick charging problems will be even harder to explain to masses. Anyone can quote those 10min charge times, but very few can grasp the requirements. It takes a little knowledge of physics and engineering which are rare among common people.

Why wouldn't Jay Leno love electric cars, he's the consummate gearhead, and as he mentions the more electric vehicles go on the road, the longer you can also use cars with ICE. Which is the position of every gearhead.

The gearhead will not give up his ICE vehicles, and he is also aware that there is a need for change, electric cars (electric motors to power cars) are finally gaining momentum.

Its good and positive that Jay Leno talks about electric cars in general, and the Tesla Roadster in particular.

I like the article a lot.  It was very positive for Tesla, and I think Jay's basic conclusions were insightful -- with regard to seeing a future for sports cars beyond oil, and also noting that Tesla did more than build a better electric car: they have built a better sports car.  That's what you have to do, if you want to supplant the established technology.

However. . .   There were a lot of little comments scattered throughout the article that I'd have to quibble over.

Tesla is not the first major manufacturer to have an electric car. GM came out with the EV1 in the early 1990s. I had one for a week and I loved it. It was quick but it only went about 125 miles on a charge. In 80 years it went only 10 miles further that my 1909 Baker Electric, and really a 125-mile range means you only have about a 60-mile range, because you have to come back.

His comparison between the EV1 and the Baker Electric is off base.  Yes, you could probably get 100 miles out of a Baker, but here's how you do it. . .   You put special low-rolling-resistance tires on the car, and set up a specially prepared smooth-and-level course.  Then you drive the car at a steady 10 MPH around the course until the battery is dead.  Early electric car makers pulled these kinds of stunts all the time so they could advertise 100-mile range, but none of them could achieve anything close to that in normal, real-world driving.

Nowadays we have something called an EPA driving cycle, which approximates the way people actually drive in their daily lives.  The original EV1 with crappy Delco lead-acid batteries could go 60 miles on a charge.  After the switch to Panasonic lead-acid batteries, it went up to 100 miles.  After the switch to Ovonics NiMH batteries, it could do 130 miles.  This was on real highways with hills, traffic, intersections, stop lights, and modern driving speeds.  It had far greater capacity than early electrics like the Jay's Baker.

Jay doesn't see any real advancement in EV technology between 1909 and the appearance of the Tesla Roadster.  The Roadster didn't spring into existence out of nothing, there were advances leading up to it.  In 1959 the Henney Kilowatt was the first electric car with transistor-based power electronics.  It wasn't commercially successful, but it was an important technical advance.  The EV1 made another leap in power electronics (thanks to Alan Cocconi), and the Roadster is advancing that technology even further by taking it digital.   Batteries have also advanced, first with NiMH and now with li-ion.

One of the hidden things they don’t tell you about electric cars is that you get good mileage when the temperature is 20C, but when it drops down towards freezing you lose 20-40% because they’re dependent on the ambient temperature. What Tesla has done is put in a cooling/heating system that keeps the battery at a constant temperature.

My understanding is that li-ion cells are much less impacted by cold than other chemistries.  The ESS has an active cooling system, but I don't think it actually has an active heating system.  It depends on the li-ion cells to self-heat as they are used.

It’s also built a car that weighs 2,600lb, which is a few pounds heavier than the standard Lotus, whereas most electric cars would be hundreds of pounds heavier.

A standard Elise tips the scales right around 2,000 pounds, so that makes the Roadster 600 pounds heavier.  That's a lot of mass.  The reason it can work is because the Elise is such an amazing flyweight car to begin with.  Most of your sports cars on the road today are 3,000+.

I think Jay is a bit too hung up on the Elise connection.  "A faster Elise" is what he calls it.  Then he niggles over the price, which you'd think wouldn't be a big concern for him.  Well. . .   An Elise is a $45,000 car.  Paying more than double that for "a faster Elise" might not seem sensible.  From my standpoint, it makes more sense to compare the Roadster with cars it can run with, and most of them are a lot more expensive.

Lamborghini Gallardo SE = $200,000+
Ferrari F430 Spider = $200,000+

Just a minor point, Li-ion is sensitive to cold temperature recharging and the ESS does have active heating even though it is only used when plugged in for charging. This excerpt from the "Blowing Hot and Cold" Blog entry.

As well as controlling ESS temperature during any driving, we also need to keep its temperature within limits whilst charging. The ESS can safely drive the car at ambient temperatures down to -20°C (-4F°). However, charging must only take place at temperatures above 0°C (32°F). For this, we provide a heater within the ESS coolant circuit. This will only ever operate when the car is plugged in for charging.

Jay has a close association with GM, who also sponsors the Jay Leno Garage web site, as well he gets preferential treatment from most other manufacturers when it comes to having the first of a new model.

I thought the article was great as well. I even had my wife read it. I gave her two qualifiers beforehand. That Jay is writing from a/to gearheads and that this was a UK publication.

I’m happy Jay has embraced the Roadster as a leap in Evs and that it is a worthy sports car on it’s own. Especially since he has invested so much into his own EV sports car:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/1...-jokes-but-his-jet-powered-sports-car-runs-o/

That line Jay uses (again) about Thomas Edison's note "The electric car is dead" was about his and Ford's personal Co-Venture of making an Ford electric car to eliminate all ICE cars. Read chapter eight, “1914-The End of the Beginning” in the book "Internal Combustion" by Edwin Black to see why their historic car never got off the ground. (Hint: It wasn't their fault) 

Tony wrote:

His comparison between the EV1 and the Baker Electric is off base.
Jay has given that weak comparison in several interviews. He always leaves out the running speed of the Baker VS the EV1, etc.

I think Jay is a bit too hung up on the Elise connection. 

I chalked that up to "writing to his audience". The same as when he mentions of how Colin Chapman would like the car. It's for the Brits.

Then he niggles over the price, which you'd think wouldn't be a big concern for him. 

I really did not read his price comments as derisive; He went to the trouble to point out that ABS started on expensive cars. He said, 
it’s something rich people would buy
.  He certainly qualifies and put his money where his mouth is -and probably gotten burned a few times; http://car-reviews.automobile.com/n...t-lithium-i-cell-zero-emissions-vehicle/1144/ This is from the guy who said, “They would take a Volkswagen Golf or some equivalent, rip out the innards and replace it with an electric motor. So you get a car that is not only slower but would not be as safe because most of the safety features were probably taken out of it, it wouldn’t go as far and you’d have something that was less than what you started with.”

Tony, I agree the Super car comparison is always most appropriate.
On that note, there were some strange missing pieces to the article like his comments were lifted from a conversation but never fleshed out.
I thought the bit about going 190 on the track was going to lead into Super cars go faster than needed for regular road use. I’ve always thought practically like that. The fastest I’ve been on road is 120 in a 308, something that was cool in my teens but would not do now.

I'd rather have a car that gets to the speed limit in half the time than have one that can quadruple it.

Tony said:
I think Jay is a bit too hung up on the Elise connection.

vfx said:
I chalked that up to "writing to his audience". The same as when he mentions of how Colin Chapman would like the car. It's for the Brits.

That reminds me of all the UK TV coverage where they basically say "designed by Lotus with help from Tesla".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4wILg3V-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKUyZHTNOiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llPFOD3x9vk

I guess you can't blame them too much since a Lotus designer did the body design and a Lotus factory is cranking out the cars.
It is as much of a stretch for Tesla to downplay the Lotus connection depending on how you look at it.

..."Hot and heavy with British technology" they say...

vfx said:
I’m happy Jay has embraced the Roadster as a leap in Evs and that it is a worthy sports car on it’s own. Especially since he has invested so much into his own EV sports car:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/1...-jokes-but-his-jet-powered-sports-car-runs-o/

That's biofuel-powered, isn't it?  It's alternative power, but not an EV.

It reminds me of the VW EcoRacer, which was designed to run on biodiesel.  If only VW had the gumption to put it into production, it could have been the biofuel counterpart to the Tesla Roadster.  (However, with a 0-60 MPH time of 6.3 seconds, it would have been a better match for a Mazda Miata than for the Roadster.  Fun to drive, yes, but far from a supercar.)

He certainly qualifies and put his money where his mouth is -and probably gotten burned a few times; http://car-reviews.automobile.com/n...t-lithium-i-cell-zero-emissions-vehicle/1144/

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen anything about it before.

OOps!

Tony you are right it was Jay's Green car but not an EV. My bad.

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen anything about it before.

So the question is, "Where is it now?" Jay has had many opportunities recently to talk about it especially in his new "green garage".

Whenever I hear the name Hybrid Technologies Inc, I cringe. If you do a little digging they do not come up smelling of roses.

Hybrid Technologies announced today that they have the Electric Mini Cooper ready for sale
(They have James Blunt in the press release photo)
070709_03.jpg