TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jay Leno on Tesla: 'We've reached the point where success is jeered."

Discussion in 'Video' started by dauger, Oct 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. dauger

dauger Member

#1 dauger, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

very good. He makes a good point, the media made it look like all Model S's where spontaneously combusting, the media likes to be critical of success, they should be aplauding Tesla's success. I think most of it can be explained by who butters their bread (Hint: it isn't Tesla)

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I've never been a big Jay Leno fan but he was on point and absolutely correct. Go Jay!

Just wait until he gets his hands on a P85D. We caught him on a bad day when he did the Model S for his "garage" the last time. He really liked the car but just didn't seem blown away by it as he should have been. I'm thinking the P85D will knock his socks off.

4. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

I don’t know, but it feels like the only reason Jay doesn’t have a Model S as his daily driver is because GM (and/or Ford and Chrysler) are contributing significantly to the money pile he needs to maintain his ‘garage’ and pay all his ‘garage’ staff.

And if he really fully understood the implications of AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming) he wouldn’t own the so-called “tank car”… And probably not a whole bunch of other cars that he also currently owns.

Hopefully he doesn’t own a Roadster because he understands that it’s better that the Roadsters are owned by people who actually use them a lot.

5. ElektroPionir

ElektroPionir Member

+1 on the financing reasons.

Money makes the world go round after all...

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

The list of people that are sure they can not be bought is getting smaller every day.

7. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

It takes a long time to convince most anybody to give up one of their passions.

8. alexkiritz

alexkiritz Member

The majority of Jay Leno's cars are antiques and many do not even have internal combustion engines. He has commissioned unique cars in the past and will most likely continue to do so in the future.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Although that's a pretty stupid generalization about the "English" by Leno. :frown:

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Nigel, agreed, that was an absurd characterization of "the English" as being a people who embrace failure.

I am glad to see Leno publicly support Tesla so emphatically. Let's hope he does a road test of a P85D soon.

11. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Wow, that was great to hear from him. Thanks for sharing.

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I believe his daily driver is a Chevy Volt, and I think that's a reasonable compromise. Nothing wrong with collecting gas cars. They are part of history and are essentially museum pieces.

13. Zextraterrestrial

The Tank car is pretty neat, not really meant to be driven other than for show, it is huge! & Randy (who made it)is a really interesting guy, just need to get him into electrics! I raced 'with' him just a week ago but his super 7 broke a tie rod or something.

didn't really car for Leno until I saw his videos with Randy and this one
    funny he is talking about Tesla with the Tank car right behind him, or how is that supposed to be taken?

14. dauger

dauger Member

Agreed. After owning an S, I look at gas cars like how I see steam engines. I've visited the collection at the Deutsches Museum in München and it is amazing:

Deutsches Museum: Steam Locomotive

So likewise it is perfectly respectable that Jay Leno preserves a gas car collection as a monument to a bygone era, like the Peterson, Marconi, or Nethercutt Museums.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I thought he gave it a very glowing review in that piece with Franz.

16. wws

wws Member

He didn't seem to have done his homework before that 2012 review. (Didn't seem very familiar with the charging options, supercharging, etc.) But judging from this latest video clip, he has come a long way in the past two years.

Here is a fun video of his 1909 Baker Electric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4P_ACPT5wA

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I've always found it odd that someone with his wealth and car collection and interest in electric cars would only have a Volt and not a Roadster and Model S as well.

18. SwedishAdvocate

#18 SwedishAdvocate, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I kind of like Leno. He seems like a kind of a really nice guy. For instance: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno was always (?) a union show (see 2:11 in the YouTube clip below.). And here (and here) he is protesting against the dictator of Brunei.

But the “Tank Car“ (!)

What's the point?

To me it’s just 4,3 tonnes of excess waste. And that’s when it’s just standing still somewhere with the ICE not running. When the (tank (!)) ICE is running, it allegedly originally did 2-3 miles per gallon(!) That has (again allegedly) been ‘improved’ to 5 miles per gallon (!)…

It must make you feel really good about yourself rolling around in…

To sum it up, it just seems like a bad caricature of a compensation for something in the male genitalia department…

I also don’t see the point of owning a bunch of gas-guzzlers from the 80s, 90s and the last 13,7-ish years. (Tried to find a complete list of his car collection, but couldn’t find one.)

19. Bluespark

Bluespark Member

He may have a couple of warehouses full of cars, but he can only drive one at a time. So in criticizing him for his collection, perhaps we should start criticizing people for having houses that are too big for what they really need. After all it takes more energy in whatever form, to heat/cool a 5,000 sq ft home than a 1500 sq ft home.

20. SwedishAdvocate

You're free to go down whatever slope you want.

I still think my argument in post #18 is valid.