TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jay Leno Races Tesla in his 427 Cobra

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Old Man Mike, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

Jay Leno's Garage show had two segments featuring Tesla.

In the first segment he raced his 575 Hp Cobra 427 against a "grandma" in a Tesla P85D. Needless to say, the Tesla blew his Cobra away for the short race. Jay made the point after the race that he always says that it's not the car HP but rather the Torque. Here is the preparation for the race (I could not find a clip showing the race):

Jay Lenos Garage: The Power of a Ford AC Cobra | Watch the video - Yahoo News

In the second segment he takes film director, Frances Coppola, for a ride and does a launch demonstrating the Tesla acceleration.

All said, it left a very favorable impression of Tesla.

2. dduffey

dduffey Member

Full Episode: Jay Lenos Garage | Season 1 Episode 8 | The Cars Of Tomorrow - YouTube

3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

I saw this episode last night. How cool to lead off the "Cars of the Future" with the Tesla. In the second segment, Jay says that he made the trip to Francis Ford Coppola's estate in the Model S, no problem at all. Coppola's garage had some cool vehicles too. The only thing that disappoints me in these shows is where they showcase the P85D or P90D, quoting the price over $100k. I plan to have an S85 soon that is under $100k before tax incentives and would also beat Jay's modified Cobra 427 (though it would be closer).

The granny bit was hilarious!

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I loved that lady's performance.
    I believe that Jay realizes that EVs are the future of personal transport, otherwise he would not have done that race using a Shelby Cobra (an iconic car for petrolheads) knowing he would lose.

5. f-stop

f-stop Member

I just noticed the YouTube account which posted the above video has been terminated!

Earlier today before it got taken down, I didn't get a chance to watch the full episode, but I watched the section where he races the grandma driving the Tesla - very funny!

6. dduffey

dduffey Member

Sorry, I thought it was an official video from an official Jay Lenos Garage channel... it even had a Jay Leno promotional banner taking up the top half of the video.

7. brec

brec Member

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Jennifer: That link set off 99 alarms and screams of Trojan Horse on my system. I've reported it to ModCentral; will let more savvy folks determine how to proceed.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I had the same experience. Opening that link has caused me no end of pain. Don't open it.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Beyond the drag race and the Coppola segment, it was a great episode overall. A good look at the whole spectrum of high-efficiency cars of the future. Leno's doing a great job with this series; am throughly enjoying the glimpses of the past too.

11. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Oops. So Sorry. I use a Mac and didn't have any problems. Have deleted post.

12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It's on the CNBC AppleTV app as well.

13. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

No problems on my Linux PC with adblock and ghostery (kills trackers). The internet is a dangerous place for windows computers. :)