Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JB Straubel- Model 3 will be mostly NEW technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if the Gigafactory was still ramping up the Model 3 could launch. It could just be Founders and Sigs being built during that period.
I am in Scotland and it is going to be a painful wait outside of the US for the Model 3. I will likely pre-order the 3 at first chance, but I can almost guarantee I will change to an S as the long wait progresses.

I hope for the Model 3 they announce the true base model pricing on day 1, even if you can't buy it yet because they are doing the typical founders -> signatures -> normal production cycle. Otherwise we will be in for yet another only-for-rich-people round. I have yet to meet someone who isn't a close follower of Tesla that thinks the Model X can be be less than $132K US.

I hope for the Model 3 they announce the true base model pricing on day 1, even if you can't buy it yet because they are doing the typical founders -> signatures -> normal production cycle. Otherwise we will be in for yet another only-for-rich-people round. I have yet to meet someone who isn't a close follower of Tesla that thinks the Model X can be be less than $132K US.

Only a few news stories that mention the price say that the standard Model X is only going to be $5000 more than comparable Model Ss. Most stories state the $132K like it's going to be the price for all of them, some using it to launch into rants about Tesla being rich people's toys.

They announced all the prices at once for the Model S (months before they started shipping). The Model X price stuff is all part of it being the strangest car rollout ever.

They announced all the prices at once for the Model S (months before they started shipping). The Model X price stuff is all part of it being the strangest car rollout ever.

The X was a pure paper launch to somehow make the Q3 2015 deadline after two years of delays. That much is confirmed now. I had been predicting a "photo op" launch for months but this is worse than what even I expected (most Sig deliveries now moved to Q1 2016).

With these new tech/parts on the Model3 and the need for penny-pinching in sourcing and assembly (margins are much smaller on mass-market cars) this looks like a 2018-2020 car. I don't understand why some people still believe in a late 2017 date being realistic...

......I don't understand why some people still believe in a late 2017 date being realistic...

Because it becomes dangerous for the company to go much past 2017. I do think production won't really be large until 2019. But they can sell 100,000 model 3 without trying. That would be good for tesla, and EV's in general.

The new new tech going into the model 3 isn't fancy. The software and sensor technology, which is the fancy stuff, mostly will parallel the S/X.

But they can sell 100,000 model 3 without trying. That would be good for tesla, and EV's in general.

The new new tech going into the model 3 isn't fancy. The software and sensor technology, which is the fancy stuff, mostly will parallel the S/X.

Assuming they can sell 100k cars without any effort still doesn't build them magically.

Making a lot of cheap cars "without fancy stuff" is a lot harder than making small batches of expensive cars.

It's incredibly hard to make cheaper cars reliably AND with great operating margins, Toyota is one of the very few companies that perfected this over many decades.

As we know, Tesla cut ties with Daimler/Toyota....a very bad move imho considering the input these two companies could have given on Model3 assembly and maybe even capacity on their lines etc.

Tesla's stubborness, slipping timelines and over-engineering (already so apparent on the X) will come to haunt them with the Model3 again.

Assuming they can sell 100k cars without any effort still doesn't build them magically.

Making a lot of cheap cars "without fancy stuff" is a lot harder than making small batches of expensive cars.

It's incredibly hard to make cheaper cars reliably AND with great operating margins, Toyota is one of the very few companies that perfected this over many decades.

As we know, Tesla cut ties with Daimler/Toyota....a very bad move imho considering the input these two companies could have given on Model3 assembly and maybe even capacity on their lines etc.

Tesla's stubborness, slipping timelines and over-engineering (already so apparent on the X) will come to haunt them with the Model3 again.

100,000 cars a year isn't a lot of cars. A half million cars per month that the majors each make is a lot of cars.

But I agree that Tesla appears not to be positioned as a builder of mass market lower end cars. Particularly if the price/volume advantage of the gigafactory isn't as pronounced as hyped.

Probably my biggest concern with Tesla is their over engineering and feature creep. It's so tempting as an engineer to add just one more thing to the design, but you have to have a strong systems engineer that draws the line and holds everyone to the best semblance of a schedule possible. It's probably Tesla's biggest weakness as a company. It's great once they get the bugs all worked out, but it causes delays.

This is an error in understanding the fundamental nature of Model 3. Model 3 is going to be a car that sells for 35k USD in base configuration. It is not a "cheap" car like a Toyota Corolla.

What Tesla isn't going to do with Model 3 is introduce radically different features. Model X was a significant departure from Model S, because it added: towing capability, falcon wing doors, 2nd row "pedestal" seats, pano-windshield, and medical-grade HEPA air filtration system. Model 3 should basically be a smaller Model S.

Probably my biggest concern with Tesla is their over engineering and feature creep. It's so tempting as an engineer to add just one more thing to the design, but you have to have a strong systems engineer that draws the line and holds everyone to the best semblance of a schedule possible. It's probably Tesla's biggest weakness as a company. It's great once they get the bugs all worked out, but it causes delays.

My sense is that Model X is really the first Tesla vehicle to suffer "feature creep", and Elon admitted that the company would have taken a different path if they knew how complicated Model X would end up as a production product. This has been a painful lesson for the company.

Model S, in contrast, is fairly spartan.

I am not concerned that the Model 3 will suffer feature creep. It doesn't need radical new features to sell. What it needs is a price point that makes it attractive to entry-level luxury buyers and some mid-size sedan buyers. A nicely loaded USDM Honda Accord sedan now MSRPs for 30-35k USD. A Model 3 that can offer similar interior space, greater cargo space, and lower overall TCO (because of lower energy cost) will win customers.

I'm sure Tesla realizes, and painfully so, that the Model X project bit off more than they could chew and ended up being unnecessarily complex and the delays hurt their credibility. That pain is still fresh and Model X is still not in full production yet. Model 3 is *the* most important car for the company and any delays like Model X suffered wouldn't be allowed this time around. Yes, it's supposed to be a simple car so as long as they remember the Model X feature creep fiasco it should arrive on time. The Gigafactory is tied to that car so getting it running ASAP and planning for cell production next year will allow them to get the car out on time. The oft quoted late 2017 date will surely be a photo op release like Model X with real volume production starting in early 2018. I've planned my current lease to end in April 2018 on purpose ;)

I'm sure Tesla realizes, and painfully so, that the Model X project bit off more than they could chew and ended up being unnecessarily complex and the delays hurt their credibility. That pain is still fresh and Model X is still not in full production yet. Model 3 is *the* most important car for the company and any delays like Model X suffered wouldn't be allowed this time around. Yes, it's supposed to be a simple car so as long as they remember the Model X feature creep fiasco it should arrive on time. The Gigafactory is tied to that car so getting it running ASAP and planning for cell production next year will allow them to get the car out on time. The oft quoted late 2017 date will surely be a photo op release like Model X with real volume production starting in early 2018. I've planned my current lease to end in April 2018 on purpose ;)

Totally agree... I just started a 3 year lease last month, so im prepared for a delay of almost a year ;-) Worst case scenario my wife drives my leaser for a few months and doesnt put miles on her car.

The Gigafactory is tied to that car so getting it running ASAP and planning for cell production next year will allow them to get the car out on time. The oft quoted late 2017 date will surely be a photo op release like Model X with real volume production starting in early 2018. I've planned my current lease to end in April 2018 on purpose ;)

My assumption has always been that Model 3 would be a "volume in 2018" release. I just put new tires on my Honda Civic, so I should be good to go for another 5-6 years (I drive few miles/year. The Original Equipment tires still had decent tread, but the rubber was starting to break down due to 5+ years of outdoor exposure).

This may be a painful wait. My car is an antique and the dealership is trying to get me to trade in for a 9th Gen Civic on clearance (replacement 10th Gens inbound), citing blue tooth and USB ports, but I just can't bring myself to trade in for these new Hondas with electric power steering. They don't have the heft and road feel of the old hydraulic rack & pinion system. The 9th Gens are absolutely no fun to drive compared to what I own now.

Second system Effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
My assumption has always been that Model 3 would be a "volume in 2018" release. I just put new tires on my Honda Civic, so I should be good to go for another 5-6 years (I drive few miles/year. The Original Equipment tires still had decent tread, but the rubber was starting to break down due to 5+ years of outdoor exposure).

This may be a painful wait. My car is an antique and the dealership is trying to get me to trade in for a 9th Gen Civic on clearance (replacement 10th Gens inbound), citing blue tooth and USB ports, but I just can't bring myself to trade in for these new Hondas with electric power steering. They don't have the heft and road feel of the old hydraulic rack & pinion system. The 9th Gens are absolutely no fun to drive compared to what I own now.

How old is your old Honda? My car is so old no dealer in their right mind is going to give me anything for it.