Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JB Straubel- Model 3 will be mostly NEW technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How old is your old Honda? My car is so old no dealer in their right mind is going to give me anything for it.

Just turned 5 years old (last of the 8th Generation Civics), but it has really low miles and a dealer could easily pocket 2-3 grand by having me trade it in for about 10k and then flipping it for 12-13k. On top of that, they'd make a couple hundred bucks selling me a 2015 Civic on clearance. I got a letter in the mail saying that my car was a "prime candidate" for their used car lot, and that they could put me in a nice new car for a very low monthly payment, haha:biggrin:

I love Honda but one guy at the dealership basically told me to buzz off when I inquired about buying a Fit EV a few years ago. Sure I'd like something shiny and new, but it's gotta drive better than my manual tranny FA1 sedan. At this point the only way I'd buy a new Honda is if my current one got totaled or stolen. I'd rather save my $ for a Model 3.

My local Toyota dealership also wants my 3-year-old Prius C like a crack addict wants a fix...so much so that they've offered me 3 free oil changes now just to appraise it. Once it's paid off, that money can go towards other debts (PV system, heat pump, road trip earlier this year, etc.). Just what I need, a Model 3 reservation to add to the debt pile (saving for one? don't make me laff. :mad:).

My local Toyota dealership also wants my 3-year-old Prius C like a crack addict wants a fix...so much so that they've offered me 3 free oil changes now just to appraise it. Once it's paid off, that money can go towards other debts (PV system, heat pump, road trip earlier this year, etc.). Just what I need, a Model 3 reservation to add to the debt pile (saving for one? don't make me laff. :mad:).

"Just keep swimming.... Just keep swimming..." :)

They don't want your car, they want _you_.

Sink or swim indeed (head's barely above water at this juncture). And you could be right, INATM, but I've "conned" them into 3 oil changes. After this latest one, they sent a followup email encouraging me to act quickly to get a 2015 model year with no money down. :p

Thanks, good read. This particular dealership has gone one step further by employing their service dept. to sweeten the "deal." :) They underestimate what an EV fiend I've become in a few short years. Toyota-wise, only the new plug-in Prius could sway me, and that's not due until the Model 3 will have arrived (or nearly so).

When I leased my current vehicle in April I told the dealer I'd most definitely be turning it in at the end because we were getting a Tesla next. He didn't know what a Tesla was so once I explained the car to him he was intrigued. You'd think the industry would be a little more aware of what is going on but nope, total blinders on.

"The new tech going into the model 3 isn't fancy"

Im not sure why people think here that model 3 wont have any fancy techs or is a cheap car. 35k dollars is not cheap (and will most likely be around 35k-40k pounds/euro in europe).

If you actually drive a 35k BMW 3 series you will realize that this is not a cheap or non-luxurious car... People here always seem to want to compare the model 3 to a vauxhall Corsa, which it will not be.

2016 BMW 3 Series (328i) Start Up and Review 2.0 L Turbo 4-Cylinder - YouTube

I mean the only thing this doesnt seem to have is free internet and a hugeass screen. But it has got cupholders... :)

"The new tech going into the model 3 isn't fancy"

Im not sure why people think here that model 3 wont have any fancy techs or is a cheap car. 35k dollars is not cheap (and will most likely be around 35k-40k pounds/euro in europe).

If you actually drive a 35k BMW 3 series you will realize that this is not a cheap or non-luxurious car... People here always seem to want to compare the model 3 to a vauxhall Corsa, which it will not be.

2016 BMW 3 Series (328i) Start Up and Review 2.0 L Turbo 4-Cylinder - YouTube

I mean the only thing this doesnt seem to have is free internet and a hugeass screen. But it has got cupholders... :)

Not a fair comparison since there's no expensive lithium ion batteries in that BMW.

It's extremely fair. The whole point of Tesla is to make cars that are at least as compelling as ICE's in their class.

The whole point of Tesla is to make cars that are much more compelling than ICE vehicles in their class. But you watch -- when Tesla sells the Model 3 the price will show the gas savings and EV rebate on the order page. So you need to compare the final price when it comes to class and it will blow away any other vehicle in that price class.

The whole point of Tesla is to make cars that are much more compelling than ICE vehicles in their class. But you watch -- when Tesla sells the Model 3 the price will show the gas savings and EV rebate on the order page. So you need to compare the final price when it comes to class and it will blow away any other vehicle in that price class.

EV has to compete on the premise that there is no circumstance or issue that creates a problem with driving the vehicle as a commuter. Gas savings and EV rebate are almost irrelevant as the next gen vehicle is competing with vehicles that do not require this level of attention. As a 35K commuter every day vehicle this would not even be an issue in everyday vocab.

EV has to compete on the premise that there is no circumstance or issue that creates a problem with driving the vehicle as a commuter. Gas savings and EV rebate are almost irrelevant as the next gen vehicle is competing with vehicles that do not require this level of attention. As a 35K commuter every day vehicle this would not even be an issue in everyday vocab.
I don't know about that. You can argue that actually the gas savings and EV rebate is more relevant because it makes up a far greater proportion of the total vehicle ownership costs than for the Model S/X.

Keep in mind, the Model S have been criticized before for having less equipment than other cars of its class. Thus I don't expect the Model 3 will necessarily be on par with other $35k cars in terms of equipment. The way Tesla makes up for it is by doing things better in certain areas (like the touch screen for example) and taking a minimalist design approach (which uses less equipment as an advantage).

I don't know about that. You can argue that actually the gas savings and EV rebate is more relevant because it makes up a far greater proportion of the total vehicle ownership costs than for the Model S/X.

Keep in mind, the Model S have been criticized before for having less equipment than other cars of its class. Thus I don't expect the Model 3 will necessarily be on par with other $35k cars in terms of equipment. The way Tesla makes up for it is by doing things better in certain areas (like the touch screen for example) and taking a minimalist design approach (which uses less equipment as an advantage).

I agree. Even with low gas prices, eliminating the gas expense for the average household of a Model 3 owner will be a huge selling feature of the Model 3 and people will factor that into the purchase price. It won't have the same bells and whistles as that BMW 3 series - that's guaranteed. But buyers won't be looking at it that way. As you point out, the Model S does not have the creature comforts of many vehicles in its class so it's naive to think the Model 3 will. Lithium ion batteries are more expensive than metal engine blocks and pistons and you have to make the up difference some way.

I agree with this. The best thing Tesla could do would be to make the base M3 a minimalist car with great range and performance in all areas. Maybe like the perfect Uber car. It can still have a bunch of options but it should be the best performing $35K vehicle available for basic transportation.

I agree. Even with low gas prices, eliminating the gas expense for the average household of a Model 3 owner will be a huge selling feature of the Model 3 and people will factor that into the purchase price. It won't have the same bells and whistles as that BMW 3 series - that's guaranteed. But buyers won't be looking at it that way. As you point out, the Model S does not have the creature comforts of many vehicles in its class so it's naive to think the Model 3 will. Lithium ion batteries are more expensive than metal engine blocks and pistons and you have to make the up difference some way.

There are people who move sideways to get a Tesla, ie trade in a comparably priced car for a Tesla, but Tesla's big selling point is upselling people who would normally buy a cheaper car. According to an article on Quartz, 70% current Tesla owners have never owned a car costing more than $60K. The Model 3 will be compared to the BMW 3 Series, but most Model 3 buyers will be people who currently own cars sold in the $20s and $30K. The revolutionary design gets people to stretch their budgets for a Tesla.

I'm one of those, I was looking at cars in the $40K range when I came across the Model S and found it exceeded almost all my criteria by a large margin.

Musk has repeatedly said the base price of the Model 3 will be $35k BEFORE any tax credits or rebates.

With rebates,credits,and rebates the Tesla site will show a price BELOW $35k.