Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JD Power New Car Purchase Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a new car purchase survey from JD Power and it was incredibly painful to complete. Not the amount of time to complete the survey, but it's laser focus on the dealership experience. It really posed a problem on how to approach the answers. Do I consider the stores as dealerships? What about the service center? Lots of focus on dealerships trying to upsell features or various other techniques that just don't happen with the Tesla. Well, the "upselling" happens by the buyer, not the seller with a Tesla. They haven't yet thought through how to handle the Tesla model when asking questions about the new car experience.

I'll be shooting them an email with a few thoughts.

Is there an N/A (not applicable) option for shoe of the questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

There were a few, but not many (or enough). I suppose I should have taken screenshots but I'm not that committed. They simply assumed that all new cars are purchased through dealerships (and Tesla is still a drop in the bucket relative to total NoAm sales). The feedback regarding Tesla purchases just won't be valuable ... or valid.

There were a few, but not many (or enough). I suppose I should have taken screenshots but I'm not that committed. They simply assumed that all new cars are purchased through dealerships (and Tesla is still a drop in the bucket relative to total NoAm sales). The feedback regarding Tesla purchases just won't be valuable ... or valid.

Was it mostly about the dealership experience or about the car as well? Would be cool if Tesla can win a JD Power award.

I received a new car purchase survey from JD Power and it was incredibly painful to complete. Not the amount of time to complete the survey, but it's laser focus on the dealership experience. It really posed a problem on how to approach the answers. Do I consider the stores as dealerships? What about the service center? Lots of focus on dealerships trying to upsell features or various other techniques that just don't happen with the Tesla. Well, the "upselling" happens by the buyer, not the seller with a Tesla. They haven't yet thought through how to handle the Tesla model when asking questions about the new car experience.

I'll be shooting them an email with a few thoughts.

I got this survey and another one (Maritz). It was pretty quick for me to complete, as I just scribbled "N/A" across a bunch of the questions.

I actually got a followup on the Maritz survey, asking me to compare my car to three others. This was *really* easy to fill out. ("Why did you choose your car over this other car?" "Other car was not electric.")

----
Edit: Ohhhh, I see, you tried to fill the survey out *online*. I filled it out on paper, which allows me to write whatever I like when the question has bad choices, and leave it up to the people at the other end to deal with what I wrote. :biggrin:

I got this survey and another one (Maritz). It was pretty quick for me to complete, as I just scribbled "N/A" across a bunch of the questions.

I actually got a followup on the Maritz survey, asking me to compare my car to three others. This was *really* easy to fill out. ("Why did you choose your car over this other car?" "Other car was not electric.")

----
Edit: Ohhhh, I see, you tried to fill the survey out *online*. I filled it out on paper, which allows me to write whatever I like when the question has bad choices, and leave it up to the people at the other end to deal with what I wrote. :biggrin:

Yeah, I emailed Finbarr O'Neill about it and received a pleasant response though without specific actions that they may take. It's not that important to me so I didn't pursue but at least registered my opinions and recommendations.

I wonder what their "Initial Quality" survey results are going to look like (when they get to that). To be honest, I've had far, far more little problems and issues than with any other new car I've bought. Everything is or will be dealt with, but I think JD Power just adds up the initial problems and issues.

I received a follow up survey online today. Asked about what features my vehicle came with, how often and how I interacted with those features (touchscreen, steering wheel button, etc), the quality and honesty of the salesperson, how I prefer to purchase the vehicle (online vs. all business w/salesperson vs. personal relationship), and text response on why I ranked Tesla as a 10 for certain questions.

It was still geared generally and did not differentiate Tesla's store approach. There was a fun question regarding what amenities were offered at the dealership facility--free food, coffee vs. premium coffee, vending machines, reading material, televisions, etc. I read questions like this and realize that the store and SC experience with Tesla really does break the paradigm. I really don't give a damn about any of those things since there's no need for me to hang around or fill any downtime.

My favorite was why I switched make of vehicle (a set of reasons that I could rank from didn't matter to mattered a lot). There was nothing I didn't like about my current manufacturer ... except they didn't offer an electric vehicle. If Tesla didn't come along I'd probably be driving an A7.