Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JD Power ranks Tesla last in Quality Control Study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
"The J.D. Power 2020 Initial Quality Study (IQS), released today, places Tesla at the bottom of its quality rankings. It’s the first time that Tesla was profiled in J.D. Power’s influential study of quality.

It’s widely regarded as the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality. The key metric is problems experienced for 100 vehicles (PP100). A lower score reflects fewer problems and, therefore, higher quality. Tesla received an initial quality score of 250 PP100 – or 250 problems per 100 vehicles.

Tesla’s quality issues are primarily with cosmetic items, such as paint imperfections, poorly fitting body panels, and squeaks and rattles – rather than core powertrain or infotainment functions."

Tesla ranks lowest on J.D. Power 2020 quality study, 250 problems per 100 cars - Electrek

The good news is that the issues are cosmetic so they don't affect actual driving.

I will say that I have been very happy with my Model 3. Yes, there might be some small cosmetic issues like my charge port is not perfectly flush with the panel. But I don't really care because the car itself is really amazing.

I would also be curious to know if Tesla's Quality issues are different based on model. For example, I would hope that the more expensive model S has less quality issues than the more mass produced Model 3. And it is certainly a bit more understandable that the Model 3 might have more cosmetic issues as Tesla did really mass produce the car pretty fast. Tesla's priority was selling card and making a profit, not in making every single car perfect.

Having said all that, I do think that Tesla should work to improve quality. Sure a lot of Tesla owners might not care because they love the other characteristics of the car but I think improved quality could help in promoting Tesla among the general public. I know there are folks who don't know about Tesla, especially if they are buying a more expensive model, who will want a car that looks perfect and won't like cosmetic problems.

I'm the same. I couldn't care less about small cosmetic issues unless they increase wind noise or let the weather in. And I agree - the cars are amazing and the manufacturing focus has been right where I want it - on the battery and drive train. The cosmetics will certainly improve but consider what Tesla has done in it's short life. All the angst makes me think of home buyers who only consider the flooring or countertops or trim with no concern at all for the very bones of the house - the part that really matters. Everyone also needs to learn a little more about JD Power - who the owner is, how they work, how much they charge for positive reviews. Myself, I'm going with Sandy Munro's recommendation.

Reactions: diplomat33
So can we finally agree that Tesla’s QC is the absolute worst now that there is an official metric to back it up?

or are we going to start qualifying this too?

Of course that's why so few replies. Then all the excuses, justifications, love stories and those that never had any issues and that say the service is great. What does one expect from an echo chamber other than all the disagrees below about the cold hard facts. If i were Elon I would be ashamed at the level of crap that gets delivered. Also, think of all the people that disagree and are likely the ones that did have issues but gave the survey top ranks rather than honest answers. Let's get real on this for once and call it what it is. Once the issue is actually fixed let's praise that but stop acting like there is not a significant issue that just keeps persisting.

Tesla is just notoriously inconsistent across models, locations, people and time. The Model Y delivery experiences are absolutely atrocious. You'd think not having dealers would lead to higher quality and consistency.
I disagree. There are numerous flawless delivery experiences associated with Model Y. People see what they want to see and ignore that they don't. Yes, I'm sure that goes for me too. Drama gets headlines and headlines get clicks. Again, my experience over the last two years of ownership has been wonderful. Can't speak for anyone else.

Dan

They absolutely need to improve QC. They are so obsessed with meeting quarterly numbers, they deliver the occasional piece of crap. By making deliveries a priority, it provides incentive for service centers to ignore issues which tarnishes the brand. They need to think longer term and correct this culture. There have been some stories on TMC of deliver centers holding vehicles to fix issues prior to delivery so there is hope.

Reactions: Missile Toad
Maybe this will get someone in Fremont to make an effort towards resolving these stupid details that irritate customers and give the company a bad quality image.

Dirt in the paint, trim installation, and panel gaps are long-solved problems in the auto industry. It’s not rocket science, ironically.

This is one part of Tesla’s business that needs some old timer with a long history in auto manufacturing to solve. The brilliant tech folks and software teams aren’t going to keep the paint from running.

Tesla used to have tons of actual quality problems (motor milling, AC issues, etc) and fit/finish problems. The first has largely been dealt with and the cars are now dependable, so it’s time to deal with the piddly crap.

My 2018 S P100D is just under 2 years old now. I've had a keyfob fail, mobile connector fail, charge port door not open, front air struts replaced, steering column stalks replaced and more in first 7,000km. Also cracked dash trim piece, spoiler not fully stuck down and wheel well trim clips missing from the factory. I’m currently awaiting to get a headlight replaced and door trim piece. Plus the scroll wheel broke “in”.

I used to think Dodge, Mercedes, Chevy etc were bad but geez.... probably would have been better with one of those... other than not being able to charge my issues have been what I would consider minor. Too many though.

"The J.D. Power 2020 Initial Quality Study (IQS), released today, places Tesla at the bottom of its quality rankings. It’s the first time that Tesla was profiled in J.D. Power’s influential study of quality.

Tesla ranks lowest on J.D. Power 2020 quality study, 250 problems per 100 cars - Electrek

Generally I agree that Tesla issues are mostly (though by no means all) cosmetic, and they need to up the game and fix this. But this same report also ranks Dodge as the best (yes, DODGE) and Toyota almost 2/3rds the way down the list. Um ... ok.

I think the basic problem here is that this survey is based on car owners self-reporting. I suspect that Toyota buyers, having in all probability chosen a Toyota based on high quality expectations, are significantly more nit-picking than a typical Dodge owner, who almost certainly expects a car to have issues (and so doesnt deem them worthy to report). Tesla, of course, has a reputation for paint and panel issues, which get reported because everyone is pre-disposed to look for those issues in the first place.

So I think this is less a survey of car quality, and more a survey of consumer expectations mapped to brands.

Generally I agree that Tesla issues are mostly (though by no means all) cosmetic, and they need to up the game and fix this. But this same report also ranks Dodge as the best (yes, DODGE) and Toyota almost 2/3rds the way down the list. Um ... ok.

I think the basic problem here is that this survey is based on car owners self-reporting. I suspect that Toyota buyers, having in all probability chosen a Toyota based on high quality expectations, are significantly more nit-picking than a typical Dodge owner, who almost certainly expects a car to have issues (and so doesnt deem them worthy to report). Tesla, of course, has a reputation for paint and panel issues, which get reported because everyone is pre-disposed to look for those issues in the first place.

So I think this is less a survey of car quality, and more a survey of consumer expectations mapped to brands.
That’s quite a stretch there. Tesla buyers are special, they’re the only ones who check for quality issues. No other car brand buyers check for quality issues. LOL!

This is where the dealership model outshines teslas direct sales model, a dealership can go over the vehicle and fix any issues before it hits the lot, because they are an independent dealer they don’t want to lose customers due to poor quality. Tesla service center employees on the other hand don’t care (not all, but there’s definitely a lot)

That’s quite a stretch there. Tesla buyers are special, they’re the only ones who check for quality issues. No other car brand buyers check for quality issues. LOL!

Dont be silly, I said no such thing. I simply argued that Tesla buyers are merely more predisposed to look closely for defects given the significant press about cosmetic issues. You can read all the posts here about people going over every inch of the car looking for blemishes. How many (for example) Dodge buyers do that level of inspection? Certainly not none, but (my thesis) significantly fewer than Tesla buyers.

However, I agree that an intermediate dealer may well insulate non-Tesla consumers from some of these issues. Still doesnt explain how Toyota rank so low though (or Dodge so high). Even Lexus came pretty low.

Dont be silly, I said no such thing. I simply argued that Tesla buyers are merely more predisposed to look closely for defects given the significant press about cosmetic issues. You can read all the posts here about people going over every inch of the car looking for blemishes. How many (for example) Dodge buyers do that level of inspection? Certainly not none, but (my thesis) significantly fewer than Tesla buyers.

However, I agree that an intermediate dealer may well insulate non-Tesla consumers from some of these issues. Still doesnt explain how Toyota rank so low though (or Dodge so high). Even Lexus came pretty low.
You have absolutely no way of knowing that, so I’m not sure why you feel like making such a statement, other than you’re simply making excuses on teslas behalf.

It’s more likely all car buyers check their vehicle for issues equally because no one wants a damaged new car. Regardless of how minor.

Build a tent city to manfacture the world's most advanced car, sweaty workers with chaos on the impromptu assembly line, QC goes down the drain. This is a little bit like Mao's Great Leap Forward, let's hope people will not start dying in Teslas from manufacturing negligence.