Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark, can we have a discriminator that the hand / parking brake must be applied? And / or the vehicle must be in Park? These are the discriminators we use for JdeMO to prevent driving off with the car.

Sam has already gone east for the summer (with a second JdeMO to install on his eastern Roadster).

We can attach the JdeMO hardware to your car (it just needs the CAN port for this test).
How obtrusive/inobtrusive would it be? It's the wife's car, and I have to ask.

I was also wondering if it possible for the OVMS to spoof that the AC charge door is open in this mode, which will also prevent the car being driven off.

I hadn't thought of that, but we can add that in the JdeMO software. When the CHAdeMO plug is connected, we can send the CAN message that the charge port door is open.

Currently, we are mechanically opening the high voltage interlock to shut down the car if:

1) CHAdeMO plug is inserted
AND
2) Parking / hand brake is released
OR
3) Gearbox is in any other position except PARK

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Sounds reasonable. We use '(car_doors1 & 0x80)' (handbrake signal) throughout the signal, so can still maintain that as an interlock. I'll make the changes one evening this week.

Mark,

How do you think the Roadster might respond to having the CAN bus sent a "charge port open" message through the footwell CAN connector? Is it even on the same bus?

Sounds reasonable. We use '(car_doors1 & 0x80)' (handbrake signal) throughout the signal, so can still maintain that as an interlock. I'll make the changes one evening this week.

Some code to try:

Tesla Roadster production build for those with the SIMCOM SIM808 modem:
Dropbox - OVMS.X.production.TR.808.hex

Tesla Roadster production build for those with the SIMCOM SIM908 modem:
Dropbox - OVMS.X.production.TR.908.hex

These show as version 3.1.3.

Really completely untested, so have a backup.

Logic is now:

Code:
 if ((mode == 0x02)&&((car_doors1 & 0x40)==0))
    return; // Refuse to lock a car that has handbrake off

if ((mode == 0x02)&&(car_doors1 & 0x80)&&
      ((sys_features[FEATURE_ROADSTERBITS] & FEATURE_ROADSTERBITS_LOCKWHILEON) == 0))
    return; // Refuse to lock a car that is turned on (unless FEATURE_ROADSTERBITS_LOCKWHILEON bypass is enabled)

The 'mode == 0x02' is the lock mode.

The '(car_doors1 & 0x40)' check is the handbrake. We'll never permit to lock the car unless that is on.

The '(car_doors1 & 0x80)' check is the car_ON signal. We'll only permit to lock the car if that is on if also feature #10 has bit 0x01 set.

Some test cases (which I suggest you do with roof off and windows down in case things mess up):
  1. Try to lock the car using the App when the car is on. OVMS should refuse.
  2. Try to lock the car using the App when the car is off, but handbrake disengaged. OVMS should refuse.
  3. Try to lock the car using the App when the car is off and handbrake engaged. OVMS should lock the car.
  4. Set feature #10 to 1.
  5. Try to lock the car using the App when the car is on and handbrake engaged. OVMS should now lock the car.
  6. Leave the car on. Set the handbrake engaged. Close the doors. Start a JdeMO charge.
  7. Try to lock the car using the App. OVMS should now lock the car.
  8. Unlocking should always work (regardless of whether the car is on or not, or if the handbrake is engaged or not).
Please let me have feedback. I've committed all the above to github.

ROADSTER 2.0 (narrow PEM, screened rear diffuser)

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

It looks like a red Roadster in the Bay Area has had the kit fitted. Anyone here?

Not sure if you got an answer, but very inobtrusive.

In fact I'm not even sure you need the JdeMO just to test the locking functionality. Flash the OVMS and plug it back in, then try to remote lock with the car on.

I will be trying it this weekend.
Ok. Thanks for answer.

Henry, I can test if needed for this. (Without JdeMO is quick if I do it with @dpeilow'S test plan).