Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the charge curve be adjusted for the different chemistry in the 3.0? (And for that matter, is the Roadster charge curve different to the RAV4 charge curve?)
I believe the chemistry is VERY similar which is why we are not using Model S or Model 3 cells. They needed to keep the voltage and charge curves the same so they did not have to tweak the electronics in the Roadster.

Will the charge curve be adjusted for the different chemistry in the 3.0? (And for that matter, is the Roadster charge curve different to the RAV4 charge curve?)

We have yet to actually see a v3.0 Roadster. Obviously, we are fully prepared to make whatever software changes necessary to JdeMO. The first v3.0 Roadster installation of JdeMO should be next month in Ohio.

Our software is now in year 3 of development, with almost 150 successful JdeMO installations worldwide. So far, we have not had a single failure, and like Tesla, our product improvements are ongoing.

We recently received the newest v1.2 CHAdeMO specifications (effective 27 March 2017), and we intend to make future installs compliant with that spec. Actually, our software was already compliant with one feature in v1.2, which is dynamic max amperage control from the charger. This allows the charger to change its maximum output for whatever reason (grid demand, overheating charger, etc) and JdeMO will happily follow along.

In addition, v1.2 allows over 125 amp charging, which we are already testing for Roadster and Toyota RAV4 EV.

We conducted some testing at the AC Propulsion labs in preparation for increasing the power of JdeMO as newer, higher powered CHAdeMO stations come online in the coming years (up to 400 amps). Currently, JdeMO is restricted to 125 amps (about 50kW in the Roadster, and 45kW in the Toyota RAV4 EV).

We successfully charged the 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV to 200 amps without failure. The Roadster and Rav4 EV both share a lot of Tesla design, including the 2600mah Sanyo/Panasonic 18650 cells. We had hoped to have a Roadster present for the same test, but we were not able to do that.

I received several questions in the last few days about the function of the button and LED light. First let me say that if you never touch that button, your life will be just fine. Also the equipment can function perfectly without the button or light altogether.

The button provides 4 purposes:

1) Green light for charging modes:

a. Steady green - operating normally

b. Fast blinking - battery hot - charge rate reduced:
45C - 90 amps max
47C - 60 amps max
49C - 30 amps max
51C - 0 amps

c. Regular blinking for half power charging and half battery State Of Charge (SOC%)... see below

2) Report half SOC% to charger. For example, a battery at 84% SOC would then report 42% SOC.

a. PRESS AND RELEASE the button
b. The charger display will show half the charge SOC% - green LED light will blink short
c. PRESS AND RELEASE the button to return to normal

3) Reduce charge rate to half power. For example, if you were concerned that a charger might overheat at full power for one continuous hour, it might make sense to charge for two hours at half power.

a. HOLD BUTTON FOR 1-2 seconds and RELEASE
b. The maximum power of the charger will be reduced by half - green LED light will blink
c. HOLD BUTTON for 1-2 seconds and RELEASE the button to return to normal charger power

4) Shut down

a. HOLD BUTTON for 3 seconds
b. Green LED light extinguishes
c. Charger contactors open
d. JdeMO contactors open
e. CHAdeMO plug unlocks

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I finally got around to installing the the JdeMO kit on my Roadster 2.0.
PEM w JdeMO.JPG

Charging at a Nissan dealer. Thanks Bob Rorhman

DC charge Nissan 1.JPG

Charging on the Illinois Tollway

DC charge efacec 2.JPG

635 rear three quarter.JPG

635 rear.JPG

Pretty cool! How are the charge rates on the 50 Kw/125 amp CHAdemo stations?

For the 416 volt Roadster battery, it will get very close to 125 amps / 400 volts (50kW).

It will hold 125 amps through about 70% SOC, so the lowest charge rate is 125a * 325v = 40kW with a mostly depleted battery. That will ramp up to 50kW at 70%, and then the amps will drop all the way to zero as the battery reaches 100% in RANGE mode (in normal charge mode, it's about 30 amps at 100%).

For a simple rule of thumb, use 45kW when charging from 20% to 80%, or about 40 minutes.

• Informative
I ran a test charge this morning at Caltech on the new 50kW 100A 480V 3PH Chargion unit @TonyWilliams mentioned above and captured the data for reference. It's a load balanced installation at that site so I intentionally went early to try and test the full available output when the overall system demand was low with only a handful of cars charging on L2.

My ESS had roughly 50% charge on it so the data below reflects that as the starting point. Overall, some very good sustained charging rates and, more importantly, consistent thermal management for the vital components as evidenced by the attached chart. I'm very please so far with the performance and convenience this unit's afforded me and would love to hear other JdeMO owners' thoughts.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 8.23.45 AM.png

While this chart is for the Toyota RAV4 EV, it somewhat mimics what the Roadster should do with JdeMO:

The Roadster will charge up to 50kW peak at 120-125 amps, because the battery voltage is higher in the Roadster (416 max voltage -vs- 386 max voltage). That means you can estimate an average of about 42.5kW over a typical charge period from low battery voltage (about 300-330 volts) up to about 80%.
42.5kW is about 0.7kWh per minute, so:

30 minute charge will add 21kWh * 300watthours/miles = 70 miles added

45 minute charge will add 30kWh* 300watthours/miles = 100 miles added

60 minute charge will add 38-40kWh = 120-130 miles (the charge rate will definitely slow)

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
I should also mention my car was set to Standard Charge for the test above. I plan on doing a similar test with a Range Charge at some point when I have a long round trip planned.
Why did your PEM heat up in this test? Also, does JdeMO know or care what charging mode you're in (std or range)? I didn't think you were actually in any charging mode during DC charging.