Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12) Can my local Tesla Service Center install JdeMO?
Answer: Yes.

I found question #12 very interesting...

Yeah, good luck with that! :biggrin::rolleyes:

You have to read the question very carefully. He said "Can my local..." He didn't say "Will my local..."
The first answer is Maybe. The second answer is a resounding No.

My understanding is that Tony is doing most of the Rav4 installs himself. I wonder what would happen if I placed an order here in VT? Would they sell me the parts and let me do it myself?

And if place an order on a kit
I don't think he want go to me and install the kit
Would he sell the kit to me so i can install it by self or i let someone do to me ?
I live in sweden the tesla service guys have more or less never worked with a roadster

From Tony:

If any Roadster is leased, it won't be a problem to remove the hardware at lease turn in (as can also be done for leased RAV4 EVs). They'll probably want to sell the JdeMO equipment separately, anyway.

The Service Center issue seems to be unclear. We... our company... is fine with a Tesla Service Center installing the JdeMO equipment. Whether a Service Center would handle ANY product that they were not making money on seems extremely unlikely. But, that's between the Roadster owner and his local Tesla folks.

We will have a Toyota dealer with EV certified techs who will install our JdeMO equipment on several Toyota RAV4 EVs in Norway, for instance, where we can't practically do it for the customer. In the USA, we charge a nominal fee (probably about $299) to install it.

{I've updated the original FAQ post above}

Last edited:
Could the boot storage be made to be enclosed with the lid open, so that all your boot stored items are locked and waterproof?

You could still close one side of the trunk lid to keep the trunk closed and protected. Possibly even both sides if the cable is run through the center, the lid is fairly flexible.

I live in a CHAdeMO desert so the port isn't that useful to me yet, but could be a very interesting add in the future. I'm also wondering how Tony will handle installations outside the west coast.

You could still close one side of the trunk lid to keep the trunk closed and protected. Possibly even both sides if the cable is run through the center, the lid is fairly flexible.

I live in a CHAdeMO desert so the port isn't that useful to me yet, but could be a very interesting add in the future. I'm also wondering how Tony will handle installations outside the west coast.

Tony originally went on tour around the US to install the RAV units. I'd expect same again or a trip to a local agent dealer be that Toyota or someone else certified to work on high voltage equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

The price is very attractive. I'd buy one if available for Europe..

Please contact Tony with a deposit as a means to cement that interest. We do need to reach some threshold where is makes sense for Tony to invest the time and effort, well, to be fair, make that cost and cost!

I am super interested BUT I don't like the trunk idea... I actually would prefer to cut a port into my passenger side that would look and function like the door for regular charging on my driver's side.

Is that a possibility?

The other option is to cap the port and place it in the rear of the car where a Lotus would have an exhaust muffler hole.

Another option would be to hide the port inside a rear wheel well, and cap the port to protect from dirt.

Another option would be to cut a hole in the trunk over/to the side of the rear wheel well and mount the port to the rear wheel well.

Best,

T

P.S. - How much is a JDEMO charger if I chose to install one at my place of business?

Last edited:
If Tony would do an european tour, or partner up with someone, I would be first in line to get this update. There is chademos everywhere here. No I am "stuck" paying for 43kw charging while I only get 14kw into my roadster

Edit:
Re-read, and see that they are partnering up with someone in Norway. So maybe it will be a reality!

Last edited:
I am super interested BUT I don't like the trunk idea... I actually would prefer to cut a port into my passenger side that would look and function like the door for regular charging on my driver's side.

Is that a possibility?

The other option is to cap the port and place it in the rear of the car where a Lotus would have an exhaust muffler hole.

Another option would be to hide the port inside a rear wheel well, and cap the port to protect from dirt.

Another option would be to cut a hole in the trunk over/to the side of the rear wheel well and mount the port to the rear wheel well.
I imagine a flip-down license plate would be an easier and less intrusive solution.

I imagine a flip-down license plate would be an easier and less intrusive solution.

I suggested to Tony that he should put the port behind the license all 70's style gas bomb style. All I heard back from him was crickets. I think it's a good idea because it's hidden and you're just cutting into plastic instead of carbon fiber. I also think there would be a ton of room down there.

Sounds interesting, and maybe a more practical and cost-effective alternative to the v3.0 battery upgrade. I'm guessing that a ferry trip to Norway for fitting would be required? Also, given UK weather, a connection option that didn't involve leaving the boot/trunk open would be more desirable.

That said, I'm certainly interested.

I am not sure the Roadster battery cooling was ever designed to work with such a high rate of charge. Heat kills batteries faster than you think. My original LEAF with the ChaDEMO charger lost 5% capacity after just 4 ChaDEMO charges.

That is unusual.

Plug in America did not find any correlation between battery capacity loss and fast charging usage in their multi year survey of hundreds of Nissan Leafs. The only variables that correlated with capacity loss were high ambient temperatures and vehicle mileage.

Also, a third party tested two new Leafs for 100,000 km on a test track. One was always fast charged, the other always L2 J1772. No difference in capacity loss.

This is on a car with no battery cooling system whatsoever.

GSP

That is unusual.

Plug in America did not find any correlation between battery capacity loss and fast charging usage in their multi year survey of hundreds of Nissan Leafs. The only variables that correlated with capacity loss were high ambient temperatures and vehicle mileage.

Also, a third party tested two new Leafs for 100,000 km on a test track. One was always fast charged, the other always L2 J1772. No difference in capacity loss.

This is on a car with no battery cooling system whatsoever.

GSP
Might vary depending on it is the heat resistant battery or not. I suspect in most situations the amount of quick charging isn't enough to matter. Even back when Nissan had a warning, it was against charging more than once per day. If you aren't doing a back to back charge, the pack probably won't heat soak enough for it to matter. It's going to be rare with the Leaf's short range to be doing quick charges back to back (probably the only case close were the Leafs in Japan being used for taxi duty).

I am not sure the Roadster battery cooling was ever designed to work with such a high rate of charge. Heat kills batteries faster than you think. My original LEAF with the ChaDEMO charger lost 5% capacity after just 4 ChaDEMO charges.

We have a Leaf and have ChaDeMo charged it at least a dozen times and haven't had any capacity loss beyond what is to be expected... We have the original battery pack in our car, not a "lizard pack" it is a 2012...

Doesn't the JdeMO equipment monitor the cell / pack temperature? I can't imagine it being designed to not do this.

Also, the equipment wouldn't just arbitrarily pump energy in without monitoring other battery basics, like cell / pack voltage, faults, etc.

Doesn't the JdeMO equipment monitor the cell / pack temperature? I can't imagine it being designed to not do this. Also, the equipment wouldn't just arbitrarily pump energy in without monitoring other battery basics, like cell / pack voltage, faults, etc.
I thought that the Roadster software monitors the battery and adjusts the charging power as needed. Your post appears to say that the charger monitors the battery. I don't think that is correct.

Doesn't the JdeMO equipment monitor the cell / pack temperature? I can't imagine it being designed to not do this.

Also, the equipment wouldn't just arbitrarily pump energy in without monitoring other battery basics, like cell / pack voltage, faults, etc.
I'm not sure by JdeMO you mean the part on the car or the charger.

If you mean the charger that is not true. While the car does transfer battery parameters to the charger first to ensure compatibility, once the charge session starts the BMS on the vehicle controls the entire process (including cell / pack conditions). The charger itself only monitors the signal that the vehicle uses to command it (basically current).
https://code.google.com/p/open-chademo/

If you mean the JdeMO equipment installed in the car, that may be true. It might not be the Roadster BMS doing the job.

I drove my new Leaf from San Jose to Sacramento and back with only a short stop in Sacramento. On the way I charged ChaDEMO twice back to back and on the way back I had to charge twice again. I lost a full capacity bar on the Leaf that day. I ended up filing a complaint with Nissan and they attributed it to the ChaDEMO.