Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will need to see more of the final installation of the product, and learn more about the installation schedule and location in Europe, before I make the payment.
I did make summer holiday plans that need a Roadster that can travel to the south of Spain in less than 24h (~2000km). So I'll need it for sure, but I won't buy it blindly.

The plan for the installation is to have the control box under the boot/trunk next to the motor cooling fan. The CHAdeMO inlet can go anywhere but they are talking about behind the rear number plate so that it normally cannot be seen.

The installation schedule is planned for June for the first batch. There is likely to be one group done just south of London. If you can get a cluster elsewhere in Europe then it is possible that we can persuade them to come to you. Otherwise, drive over to us and we will have an install party :) It's an easy trip from Belgium - there is a Roadster HPC near the Channel Tunnel on the UK side and one near Bruges on the Belgium side.

The plan for the installation is to have the control box under the boot/trunk next to the motor cooling fan. The CHAdeMO inlet can go anywhere but they are talking about behind the rear number plate so that it normally cannot be seen.

I hope it will be compatible with the "snow dam". I have my doubts here...

Otherwise, drive over to us and we will have an install party :) It's an easy trip from Belgium - there is a Roadster HPC near the Channel Tunnel on the UK side and one near Bruges on the Belgium side.
Well, I live in Bruges so that one I can skip :) London would be no problem for me.
Let's wait and see if we get a detailled view of a finished installation before the end of February. Then I'm in.

Last edited:
What is a "snow dam"? I'd love to see a picture of both the "snow dam" and trailer hitch (and how it's mounted).

Snow dam:

23598389724_2525889c47_c.jpg

24227248465_83529636ec_c.jpg

Last edited:
Can you please put an arrow on the pic to point out what it is.

By the way, over on SpeakEV Tony Williams has said he plans to be in England in May to fit the first batch of JdeMO units.

I updated the picture. As you can see the space is limited there, especially on 2.5s that have the other antirollbar that goes around the motor fan. The Snow dam would also need to be cut as there is no space to run cables right now.

I'm talking with Tony and Sam C (the owner of the Roadster being used as the test bed). We're hoping to have it for the OC Meetup on the 23rd, but not sure yet.

So, get on the OC group or email list if interested as I will probably send a note there too.

Got a soft commitment from the guys. They'll confirm as we get closer to the date, in the meantime, sign-up here. We also have a soft commitment from Mark Z to bring his Model X, pending a few repairs.

I'm confused about the "snow dam". I have not experienced this condition? Isn't there an aluminum sheet that covers that area? The entire bottom of the Roadster is covered. How does the snow get in there?

From the side and even the grills in the rear bumper. If the snowdam is not installed (as in many regions), you can see the fans and motor when you look through the wheels. Then it's completely exposed to the elements.
What you describe is just the undertray and is plastic in the back (the part that is now removed on my pictures).

From the side and even the grills in the rear bumper. If the snowdam is not installed (as in many regions), you can see the fans and motor when you look through the wheels. Then it's completely exposed to the elements.
What you describe is just the undertray and is plastic in the back (the part that is now removed on my pictures).

Thanks m0rph I see the area were the snow gets in. The "undertrays" on my 1.5 and early VIN 2.0 are metal. Maybe not aluminum but definitely NOT plastic.

Hi Tony,

Good to have you here to update the Roadster community.

Are you able to give a general update on progress?

Have you managed to find a local 2.x to check the CAN messages are the same?

First, let me offer an overview of the project. JdeMO for the Tesla Roadster is a follow on to the successful program for the Toyota RAV4 EV. For that vehicle, we have delivered over 50 units, with almost 50 more prepaid orders.

This past week, I was involved with updating the firmware on 14 JdeMO units, all in Northern California. I was able to drive my RAV4 EV (with a range of 100 to 140 miles) that is equipped with JdeMO over 1700 miles in 6 days from San Diego to Sacramento, and return. JdeMO truly is a game changer for any car that doesn't have fast DC charging capability, like the Tesla Roadster. I did this trip entirely with fast DC charging and never once pulled out my UMC (JESLA).

Currently, there are over 10,000 CHAdeMO stations in the world. Approximately 2000 of those are in the United States, primarily on the east and west coast and around major metro areas in the middle of the country. In other words, you will still want to bring your UMC with you for coast-to-coast journeys. In Europe, the CHAdeMO stations are far more pervasive, with almost 3000 installed with much more even disbursement throughout the region. CHAdeMO is not only the largest network of chargers in the world, it is also the only one that uses the exact same plug everywhere in the world. Not even Tesla can say that.

Most public fast charge stations will allow 120 amps, therefore the Roadster will charge its 300 volt to 415 volt battery at about 45kW up to about 80% capacity. A typical charge from 20% to 80% will take approximately 40 minutes.

For the Roadster JdeMO project specifically, we performed a proof of concept charge event in December of last year, just six weeks ago with a 1.5 car. We have written software now specific for the Roadster, which was completed this past Thursday. At 11 AM today, we will be testing that new software in Orange County, California.

Contrary to early reports, we will not be installing the charge inlet in the boot / trunk. Our default location will be from behind the rear license plate, however folks who would like to place it elsewhere are welcome to do so. We just won't be involved with that type of work.

On the hardware front, we will be using most of the existing hardware that was developed for the RAV4 EV. This allows us to have an excellerated development program, which we intend to have complete by June 2016. Deliveries of production units are intended to begin this summer.

We have not tested integration with Roadster 2.0 or 2.5, however we do not expect any surprises.