Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tony,

Welcome back!

Thanks for your work on this!

Would you please post a picture of the default charge inlet location behind the rear license plate?

I'm having a hard time imagining it since the plate does not flip up like on an old car for the gas inlet. Are you modifying the plate mounting bracket in some way for access or will the inlet be below the plate and mounted on the rear diffuser?

Would you please post a picture of the default charge inlet location behind the rear license plate?

I'm having a hard time imagining it since the plate does not flip up like on an old car for the gas inlet. Are you modifying the plate mounting bracket in some way for access or will the inlet be below the plate and mounted on the rear diffuser?

I can answer that for Tony. The charge inlet will be behind a"flip-up" license plate.
We don't have a photo yet, more details soon.

I can answer that for Tony. The charge inlet will be behind a"flip-up" license plate.

"Sorry officer, I only forgot to close the charge inlet.. It was not my intention to hide my license plate. Honestly".

Besides that, I'm not happy to cut any part on my car. I have a different idea, but I first need to see the actual part (size) to know if it will work.

I'd be curious to see this, too. I tried installing a flip-up license plate frame on my Roadster (to allow better access to my receiver hitch) and I couldn't get it to work. The problem was that the license plate mounting holes (on the car) are right at the top, and there's no room above that for the hinge.

A flip-down plate might work in your case (but wouldn't work for me, because the receiver is below the plate...not behind it)

We completed a Phase 1 software test on Sam's 1.5 Roadster yesterday. There are a few issues which we will address in the coming week and retest sometime in the next week or 10 days. Also, when the Roadster showed up for testing, it was mostly fully charged. So, we didn't really have a lot of time and battery capacity to test it with. Therefore, our next test will be with the Roadster at near zero percent. We charged the car to 100% (about 215 miles) at the CHAdeMO station and ended our day of testing.One interesting tidbit that caught us by surprise was that the state of charge percent changes between range mode and normal operation. I don't know of any other car that operates this way.

We completed a Phase 1 software test on Sam's 1.5 Roadster yesterday. There are a few issues which we will address in the coming week and retest sometime in the next week or 10 days. Also, when the Roadster showed up for testing, it was mostly fully charged.

So, we didn't really have a lot of time and battery capacity to test it with. Therefore, our next test will be with the Roadster at near zero percent. We charged the car to 100% (about 215 miles) at the CHAdeMO station and ended our day of testing.

One interesting tidbit that caught us by surprise was that the state of charge percent changes between range mode and normal operation. I don't know of any other car that operates this way.

"Sorry officer, I only forgot to close the charge inlet.. It was not my intention to hide my license plate. Honestly".

Besides that, I'm not happy to cut any part on my car. I have a different idea, but I first need to see the actual part (size) to know if it will work.

I heartily encourage you to place the charge inlet any place you feel like installing it.

Here are the dimensions to the charge inlet / port:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 118
One interesting tidbit that caught us by surprise was that the state of charge percent changes between range mode and normal operation. I don't know of any other car that operates this way.

In Standard mode the Roadster "hides" the top 10% and the bottom 10% of the pack capacity. I guess the logic is you can flip to range mode for the 10% reserve when you are pushing things. Anyway that's the reason for the weird capacity indication.

In Standard mode the Roadster "hides" the top 10% and the bottom 10% of the pack capacity. I guess the logic is you can flip to range mode for the 10% reserve when you are pushing things. Anyway that's the reason for the weird capacity indication.

So, we could add a line of code to limit the charge to "100%", and then the user can select whether that 100% is a range charge or not. This solves a unique situation with this car.

We will likely include our green selection button alongside the inlet:

Green steady = operating normally

Short blinking = reports 1/2 battery SOC% to charger (84% full battery would show 42% on the charger) - tap button to enable / disable

Longer blinking= change charge rate to 1/2 power (100 amp charger would operate at 50 amps max) - press button to enable / disable

Fast blinking - charge rate is automatically reduced due to temperature threshold (+10C to +45C is normal rate)

By pressing sing the button for 3 seconds or more, the charger will shut down, and you can unplug.

So, we could add a line of code to limit the charge to "100%", and then the user can select whether that 100% is a range charge or not. This solves a unique situation with this car.

We will likely include our green selection button alongside the inlet:

Green steady = operating normally

Short blinking = reports 1/2 battery SOC% to charger (84% full battery would show 42% on the charger) - tap button to enable / disable

Longer blinking= change charge rate to 1/2 power (100 amp charger would operate at 50 amps max) - press button to enable / disable

Fast blinking - charge rate is automatically reduced due to temperature threshold (+10C to +45C is normal rate)

By pressing sing the button for 3 seconds or more, the charger will shut down, and you can unplug.

The license plate will still be visible at 45 degrees tilted up. The charge inlet needs to move out 5" to clear the 6" tall license plate, in addition to an additional 4.5" to fully expose the charge inlet. Total movement is 9.5"

Feel free to have a look at vehicle_teslaroadster.c in OVMS:

Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/vehicle_teslaroadster.c at master · openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System · GitHub

In the vehicle_teslaroadster_minutestocharge() function, there are a bunch of algorithms to normalise/convert imCapacity in standard, range and performance mode (don't forget performance mode). That is indicated miles, but SOC behaves the same. Those algorithms are courtesy Tom Saxton, who is the most knowledgeable person (probably inside and outside Tesla at this point) on that subject.