Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
U.S. plates are standardized at 12 in × 6 in; 30 cm × 15 cm.

Separately, I'd love to know if anyone's considered working on a solution for the standard 2.5 diffuser install position. Would be great to try and do a 3D printed version with an elegant flap + hinge.

I'd suggest getting a new moulding for the rear defuser, modify it to include the new aperture (and preserve the original) and include slots for hinges to be added; it would be much neater and more robust, problem with the 3d printed parts is that most parts off consumer grade machines tend to lack mechanical strength and would fail in time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roadster
Hi Tony,

Just some update after a long silence from my side

I am very pleased with the efforts QCP did for the Roadster owners since I was not able to make long trips anymore without it.

As I shared with you previously my CAC is 100 which gives a practical range of only 150km. The last 2 days I did a roadtrip in very high temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius and i was able to cover 1000 km in 2 days with the JdeMo charger. The temperature of the battery went during charging to 45 degrees as the airco could not cope with this ambient temperature but the JdeMo kept on working. Sometimes I got the yellow bar and power limit which vanishes during driving.

I have learned that some chargers simply do not work. Only today i charged in the Eifel at an old DBT charger and surprisingly it worked although all chargers of Ecotricity in the UK and the ones in France always give me problems. ABB always work at Fastned and Lidl and other places so that is a certainty for me. I kept a log of the Efacec chargers that work and that don't work. It is just a matter of experiences if it works or fails

To prevent overheating the battery I know I can set the power to 20kW but I am not that interested anymore in preserving the battery, I desperately need a good new 3.0

All and all thanks for this great accessories

Hi, hereby a JdeMo question:
(I want to install a JdeMo kit on my Roadster this weekend)

Is this the right way to connect the 2 loose cables inside my JdeMo kit?
(or is it the other way around?)
(the loose cables are circled with blue)

upload_2019-10-22_21-13-26.png

I would highly doubt it’s this way as the contactors are just big relays to flow current, red would certainly go to red and black to black. I didn’t realize this was actually a kit, I thought it had to be fitted. Interested to hear how it goes. I love the idea of L3 charging.

edit, how did you get a kit? I just revisited the site and it says you cannot buy it in a kit form.

Last edited:
Reactions: miimura
I would highly doubt it’s this way as the contactors are just big relays to flow current, red would certainly go to red and black to black. I didn’t realize this was actually a kit, I thought it had to be fitted. Interested to hear how it goes. I love the idea of L3 charging.

edit, how did you get a kit? I just revisited the site and it says you cannot buy it in a kit form.

it is sill available to by the kit CHAdeMo charging for Tesla Roadster

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
5A3235D6-E926-436E-B7BC-B4C96CA83C8D.png

after John Metric told me I had to prove I was worthy of buying batteries from him I figure you need some kind of qualifications in electronics before you are considered to be in possession of the skill required to play with this stuff. Especially when I read this. $4000 is a lot when they say 8 hours is installation time. I guess its $4000 in kit form regardless unless someone knows differently.

You can certainly purchase the kit from QCP and @TonyWilliams doesn't require any formal certification of the purchaser to my knowledge. Installation, on the other hand, would be at your own peril but there are definitely folks on this board who have done it themselves. For those not brave or skilled enough to take on something like this, QCP offers installation but the wait time might be prohibitive depending on your location as Tony would need to travel to you at a time that fits his schedule.

Hereby my experience with installing and using the JdeMo for the first time:

After doing some research, checking and double checking I installed the JdeMo yesterday.
I did a "light install" (in trunk instead of under trunk - see pictures) and this was pretty easy to do, even without having a lot of electrical experience.

upload_2019-10-27_15-37-13.png

upload_2019-10-27_15-38-35.png

And in my first JdeMo charge I charged about 19 kWh in 30 minutes:

upload_2019-10-27_15-39-52.png

Next weekend I will be using JdeMo again a few times on a longer trip.
And in the future I will be thinking about a better permenant install.

And like @Roadster said a couple of days ago:

"The peace of mind that comes with knowing you have DCFC as an option is... Everything!"

:)

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-27_15-38-23.png
    upload_2019-10-27_15-38-23.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
Charge only to 80%
You would lost regenbraking if you charge so high as 94%

see blow how to get rid of yje problem

The problem with lost regenerating brake is solved
there is 2 possible things to do with this
1. Never charge to more than 80% (shown on charger)
2. if you charge to high then is possible to reset the PEM limits.
Open the maintains menu press on control button
then press "reset P.L" and then OK and the regenerating works correctly

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Usually, OVMS will not allow you to remotely lock the car if the car is on.

A while back, for Jdemo users, I added a feature (FEATURE_ROADSTERBITS_LOCKWHILEON) to bypass that restriction. Set feature #10 to 1 to enable this (with latest firmware).

Note that OVMS will also refuse to lock if the handbrake is not on (and FEATURE_ROADSTERBITS_LOCKWHILEON doesn't change that).

Does this work with the current OVMS v3 firmware?

I got a "Feature not supported by this vehicle" message when trying to change Feature #10 from 0 to 1.

Does this work with the current OVMS v3 firmware?

I got a "Feature not supported by this vehicle" message when trying to change Feature #10 from 0 to 1.

That was for v2 (three years ago). For v3, we brought over something similar:

Code:
config set xtr protect.lock off

The default is ON (ie; can't lock a car that is on). Setting it OFF will bypass that protection.

You can set that from the Messages tab in the App.

Regards, Mark.

P.S. You can find all the roadster-specific settings and information here:

Tesla Roadster — Open Vehicles documentation

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
I haven't decided on a final location for the inlet (possibly behind license plate), but wanted to get the lower panel back on.

Of course, the power panel bolts to the diffuser, which bolts to the mesh screen, which screws to the bumper.

So I did an Erector Set(tm) mesh delete with some metal pipe strapping tape i had. The hole spacing worked out pretty well.

IMG_20200114_081731.jpg
IMG_20200114_081737.jpg

Last edited:
What is that green button for that lights up when JdeMo charging? Anybody knows and / or using it?
From the manual:

a. The green light will quickly blink once, which indicates that JdeMO is powered
and reset. It will do this everytime that the Roadster is turned on.
b. The green light will illuminate to green every time the JdeMO contactors close
and charge is enabled
c. The green light will rapidly blink if the battery temperature is over 113F / 45C,
and the charge rate will reduce
d. The charge will stop if the battery exceeds 124F / 51C, and the green light will go
out
e. To change the charger display SOC% value from normal to half normal, press
and release the button. For example, if the battery is at 84% SOC, then the
charger will display 42%. To return to normal, press and release the button
again.
f. To operate the charger at half power, press the button for 1 second to 2 seconds.
This will slow the charge rate to one half. For example, 50kW will become 25kW.
To return to normal, press the button for 1 second to 2 seconds again. This mode
will be eliminated in future software updates
g. To stop the charger, press the button for 3 seconds or more (only available on
newer software)