Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I carefully studied the topic, began to experiment, in the 50/50 track mode there is no vibration at all. My car vibrates from the start, I really don't like it. Today I have replaced the right shaft 1420113-00-b. For information: the right and left half-shafts on our plaid come from the Model X Raven. The vibration is completely gone. What conclusions can I draw: there is a mechanical problem, a problem with the half-shafts, the shaft gets damaged, after which the plaid starts to vibrate. solution to issue 2, modify the half-shafts, or modify the software by reducing the torque at the software level at those speeds in which there is vibration.

Interesting. Tesla replaced both of my half shafts, but the vibration came back in a few days, with maybe only two hard accelerations, always in low suspension mode. So, I'd guess the half shaft isn't being damaged, but instead perhaps "wearing in" to normal tolerances. Or the grease internally is flinging out of the CV joint and throwing the shaft out of balance?

Yeah, they put the same shafts in mine:
LH(1420113-00-B) and RH(1420119-00-B)

actually, they labeled them differently on my invoice. Did you replace driver's or passenger side?

Interesting. Tesla replaced both of my half shafts, but the vibration came back in a few days, with maybe only two hard accelerations, always in low suspension mode. So, I'd guess the half shaft isn't being damaged, but instead perhaps "wearing in" to normal tolerances. Or the grease internally is flinging out of the CV joint and throwing the shaft out of balance?

actually, they labeled them differently on my invoice. Did you replace driver's or passenger side?
Same. Replaced shafts lasted less than four days.

Passenger Shaft RH(1420119-00-B)

The fact is that the left shaft on my plaid has no destruction, the right shaft, according to the service, had a small destruction. The service says that the vibration during acceleration is the vibration of the half-shafts. I decided to replace the right shaft and yes, the problem was in it. I will give the factory shaft to a company that is engaged in the restoration of drive shafts, perhaps they will offer reinforcement.

the fact is that the left shaft on my plaid does not have free rotation, the right shaft, according to the service, had acceptable free rotation, I decided to replace the right shaft and yes, the problem was in it. I will give the factory shaft to a company that is engaged in the restoration of drive shafts, perhaps they will offer reinforcement.

Click on suspension, then show more details. It shows a graph of the suspension in real time. You might be able to have a passenger shoot a picture of the graph after it happens.
As promised, I did a video capture of the suspension action. Here is the summary. Has anyone else seen something like this?

Attachments

• Hart Model S Suspension Problem.jpg
    Hart Model S Suspension Problem.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: aerodyne
Hi all,

Relatively new user here so apologies if I shouldn’t be posting it here…

I’ve had nothing but problems with my Plaid since taking deliver 2/15/22. Besides the various minor QC issues…after two weeks of having it apparently the HV harness was bad or shorting and the car was bricked for 2 weeks…now this vibration issue has creeped in.

Like going over rocks between 35-50 mph pretty the same as everybody else it appears. For a car of this price range this is abhorrent.

We all love the car itself I think but this stuff is giving me class-action vibes. Basically the car is being sold with discernible mechanical defects. Am I wrong or overreacting?

That all being said, I’m debating scheduling service for the vibration issue - has anybody had any definitive success with this? E.g. has service actually resolved the issue or do they sweep it under the rug? It’s like drive for 1 week, shop for 2–3 weeks and repeat.

Any feedback or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I’ve had nothing but problems with my Plaid since taking deliver 2/15/22. Besides the various minor QC issues…after two weeks of having it apparently the HV harness was bad or shorting and the car was bricked for 2 weeks…now this vibration issue has creeped in.

Like going over rocks between 35-50 mph pretty the same as everybody else it appears. For a car of this price range this is abhorrent.

We all love the car itself I think but this stuff is giving me class-action vibes. Basically the car is being sold with discernible mechanical defects. Am I wrong or overreacting?

That all being said, I’m debating scheduling service for the vibration issue - has anybody had any definitive success with this? E.g. has service actually resolved the issue or do they sweep it under the rug? It’s like drive for 1 week, shop for 2–3 weeks and repeat.

@taicho2k You are not wrong, and not over reacting. Check this thread out..... Sadly, it's a long read, but all of your questions may be answered here - save for a fix or a timeline for a fix....

Hi all,

Yes, the vibration occurs between 40 and 50 mph under light acceleration. No fix yet from Tesla. They have no idea how to fix it. Lowering the car helps reduce it, but doesn't eliminate it.

2022 Model S Plaid
19” wheels
Picked car up Tuesday and was fine. Wednesday /Thursday drove fine. (I did a recalibration to get auto steer and cruise to work)
Friday, started noticing slight vibration while driving for 1st few minutes and then disappear. Since then every 1st drive of the day it happens again and goes away after a few minutes.
Tires pressure ok
Vibration throughout cabin
Turning wheel slightly from side to side = no change
Constant speed or acceleration = no change
Feeling feels like tire speeds not equal causing scuffing or brakes cycling quickly, no noticeable tire wear as of yet (150 miles on odometer)

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
2022 Model S Plaid
19” wheels
Picked car up Tuesday and was fine. Wednesday /Thursday drove fine. (I did a recalibration to get auto steer and cruise to work)
Friday, started noticing slight vibration while driving for 1st few minutes and then disappear. Since then every 1st drive of the day it happens again and goes away after a few minutes.
Tires pressure ok
Feeling feels like tire speeds not equal causing scuffing or brakes cycling quickly, no noticeable tire wear as of yet (150 miles on odometer)
HVAC fan blowing hard can also cause vibration. Since it’s soon after startup, could be that?

2022 Model S Plaid
19” wheels
Tires pressure ok
"Feeling feels like tire speeds not equal causing scuffing or brakes cycling quickly"
That is a very interesting description. Did you try raising or lowering, turning traction control on and off?

Reactions: jebinc
2022 Model S Plaid
19” wheels
Tires pressure ok
@RomBo Please report it to your SC via the app!

Have you taken it to service?
I scheduled a service appointment. But, after a bit of online dialog with the service center, it was clear that they did not know anything about it. I canceled and told them I would wait to see if a software update would come soon that might address it. I am convinced that there is no way it its just my vehicle. Others must be experiencing the problem, and a software change to address the rebound damping must surely be coming. Traditional car makers would laugh at how this was allowed to get into production.....but they are not moving at the speed of Tesla!

Reactions: theslimshadyist