Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can't be damage from launching. I've never launched my Plaid and I've had the vibration, or reconginition of the vibration, since just under 1000 odometer miles.
Agree with that. I had my half shafts replaced and the vibration went away. I babied the car for a few days and the vibration still came back, without driving it hard.

"Feeling feels like tire speeds not equal causing scuffing or brakes cycling quickly"
That is a very interesting description. Did you try raising or lowering, turning traction control on and off?
Only happens on first drive of the day. Heat/AC turned off, slow acceleration, just maintaining constant speed start to feel rumble at 15-20 mph and builds up as speed increases. Disappears after 3-4 minutes of driving. My best guess is that tires are taking a set after sitting and once warmed up become round again. Had a car once that had a similar vibration and found it to be scalloped/cupped tires.

Only happens on first drive of the day. Heat/AC turned off, slow acceleration, just maintaining constant speed start to feel rumble at 15-20 mph and builds up as speed increases. Disappears after 3-4 minutes of driving. My best guess is that tires are taking a set after sitting and once warmed up become round again. Had a car once that had a similar vibration and found it to be scalloped/cupped tires.
Which trim, which tires, which driving mode (Chill, Sport, etc.).

agree, i sometimes experience the same when the car has sat in the garage for a few days. soft compound summer tires getting a temporary flat spot, not uncommon on any car with high perf summer rubber. no other vibration at all on my car. 2022 plaid 21 Mich Summer tires

I doubt this is anything to do with tires. It's a new "feature" of the 2022 Model S. My 2021 did not do this, and had the same wheels/tires.

mine is definitely tires based upon my experience so far. doesn't do it when i drive the car daily, only after sitting for a few days and gone within 15-20 of driving.
My car has easily sat for as long as 5 days on 19” Summer Pirelli’s. I don’t recall a single car ever having flat spots in that short of time.

Maybe if you have those self sealing tires it might happen. Which I’ve never had.

Maybe folks with the initial vibration issue should list their tires. Maybe the 21” Mich Summer tire is prone to it.

Interesting theory none the less and it would fit the crime.

I do get the impression my tires run firmer until they warm up. Which makes little sense since the tire pressure goes up.

My car has easily sat for as long as 5 days on 19” Summer Pirelli’s. I don’t recall a single car ever having flat spots in that short of time.

Maybe if you have those self sealing tires it might happen. Which I’ve never had.

Maybe folks with the initial vibration issue should list their tires. Maybe the 21” Mich Summer tire is prone to it.

Interesting theory none the less and it would fit the crime.

I do get the impression my tires run firmer until they warm up. Which makes little sense since the tire pressure goes up.

they definitely run firmer when they are cold, the rubber is less pliable. pressure goes up with heat. pressure and grip are two different things. my 2016 S with summers would flat spot when left, same for several porsche cars and corvette's i've owned. i always run low profile tires so couldn't comment on 19's

they definitely run firmer when they are cold, the rubber is less pliable. pressure goes up with heat. pressure and grip are two different things. my 2016 S with summers would flat spot when left, same for several porsche cars and corvette's i've owned. i always run low profile tires so couldn't comment on 19's

But people are missing the part where this never happened on the 2021. The vibration that lasts just a few minutes is new for 2022. The ~40mph is there no matter what on all (I believe, no matter what anyone else might claim) 2021 and 2022. I know many people just don't notice. At the very least, I've never been in a Plaid that didn't vibrate at ~40mph, and both my 2021 and 2-week old 2022 exhibit it.

Reactions: paulchou and jebinc
But people are missing the part where this never happened on the 2021. The vibration that lasts just a few minutes is new for 2022. The ~40mph is there no matter what on all (I believe, no matter what anyone else might claim) 2021 and 2022. I know many people just don't notice. At the very least, I've never been in a Plaid that didn't vibrate at ~40mph, and both my 2021 and 2-week old 2022 exhibit it.

i don't have any vibration at ~40. I was so worried about it when buying this car that when i got it i immediately drove to some fresh pavement and have tested repeatedly. i have always run in low mode, and done several launches and drive aggressively, but haven't had any vibration yet, beside the tire one mentioned, which at first i thought was the dreaded vibration experienced by many.

i don't have any vibration at ~40. I was so worried about it when buying this car that when i got it i immediately drove to some fresh pavement and have tested repeatedly. i have always run in low mode, and done several launches and drive aggressively, but haven't had any vibration yet, beside the tire one mentioned, which at first i thought was the dreaded vibration experienced by many.
I mean that's great if you don't notice. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: paulchou and jebinc
Actually, I believe some cars don't have it. I drove a '22 LR with more than 5k miles on it and it really didn't have the vibration. And I know exactly what it feels like and how to produce it. Nothing.

So, something about the variability in the cars or half of our cars are assembled incorrectly...

Actually, I believe some cars don't have it. I drove a '22 LR with more than 5k miles on it and it really didn't have the vibration. And I know exactly what it feels like and how to produce it. Nothing.

So, something about the variability in the cars or half of our cars are assembled incorrectly...
Hmmm. I just don’t get it then. Maybe the LR doesn’t have it as much as the Plaid does? I have no idea. All I do know is this has gone on way too long and Tesla is showing us all the middle finger. I suspect they can’t admit to the problem since it would require a huuuuuge recall.

The new vibration around 20-35mph for a bit after start up is new to the 2022 as far as I’m aware.

Hmmm. I just don’t get it then. Maybe the LR doesn’t have it as much as the Plaid does? I have no idea. All I do know is this has gone on way too long and Tesla is showing us all the middle finger. I suspect they can’t admit to the problem since it would require a huuuuuge recall.

The new vibration around 20-35mph for a bit after start up is new to the 2022 as far as I’m aware.
“Double-barrel” middle…

Not rubbing it in, but my car vibrates not. It’s -6/-7 drop on links. I took some of the camber out of the rear with Mountain Pass trailing arms and toe arms. Just aligned today.
3A535CD1-4E23-45F3-8EB8-6E1B0905DF1B.jpeg
A60EF996-3411-4C5A-99FB-B25442BC966E.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc