Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

Not rubbing it in, but my car vibrates not. It’s -6/-7 drop on links. I took some of the camber out of the rear with Mountain Pass trailing arms and toe arms. Just aligned today. View attachment 817594View attachment 817593
I'd believe that. I had almost zero vibration with my links set to -5. Did you set -6 front and -7 back?

Also, any idea how close you can get the alignment without changing the suspension parts? I was surprised to see no abnormal wear after a few months at -5.

the downside of fixing the vibration with lowering the car is that I scraped the hell out of my front bumper, even being extremely careful and using the air suspension routinely.

lbowroom

Plaid, white with black, CF, 19’s. Delivered 8/27
Sep 12, 2018
Orange County
I'd believe that. I had almost zero vibration with my links set to -5. Did you set -6 front and -7 back?

Also, any idea how close you can get the alignment without changing the suspension parts? I was surprised to see no abnormal wear after a few months at -5.

the downside of fixing the vibration with lowering the car is that I scraped the hell out of my front bumper, even being extremely careful and using the air suspension routinely.
Yes -6 Front -7 rear. Rear camber is around 2.5°. The Mountain Pass trailing arm adjustment got it to 2.2°. Toe was adjustable to whatever you want, I’m sure the factory arm too, but the Mountain Pass arms ditch the rubber bushings. Front does have an OEM eccentric camber adjust -1.2° was the max setting. The factory front toe was pretty bad. The tires are quieter now that’s it’s set correctly.

131 miles on my 2022 Plaid (built May 30, 2022), and the vibration is bloody awful. At 41mph my yoke and pedals vibrate. Brutal. Really the worst part of the car right now, - such a downer! This is without doubt worse than my 2021 in this particular regard. While my 2021 Plaid did vibrate, it wasn't as bad as this.... The best way to describe it is if you're driving a manual transmission and you ought to be in 3rd gear but you're in 4th gear (not quite 5th gear bad...), and then gently accelerate, and you feel the car vibrating.

Oh, and confirmed, just like with my 2021 - Track Mode with full rear bias and the problem goes away completely.

@jebinc

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
131 miles on my 2022 Plaid (built May 30, 2022), and the vibration is bloody awful. At 41mph my yoke and pedals vibrate. Brutal. Really the worst part of the car right now, - such a downer! This is without doubt worse than my 2021 in this particular regard. While my 2021 Plaid did vibrate, it wasn't as bad as this.... The best way to describe it is if you're driving a manual transmission and you ought to be in 3rd gear but you're in 4th gear (not quite 5th gear bad...), and then gently accelerate, and you feel the car vibrating.

Oh, and confirmed, just like with my 2021 - Track Mode with full rear bias and the problem goes away completely.

@jebinc
It really sounds like a “motor mount” issue that was discussed in this thread or a similar thread.

ICE motor mounts have a safety in them in the event that the rubber lets go. Motor won’t move beyond a certain limit. But it’s still a bad motor mount. And the motor can rock or lift to a limit.

At just the right load the motor could bounce /oscillate. If you floor it, it would lock the motor mount to the “lifted” extreme and not oscillate.

This also fits with feeling it in the yoke and pedal.

I wonder if just one hard launch rips the motor mount rubber and now it relies on the “safety” of the motor mount. But you could be bouncing in the motor mount itself. Or defective motor mounts.

It would be hard to spot visibly.

This would explain why it’s different than pre refresh vibration that gets worse with higher load too.

It all fits.

It really sounds like a “motor mount” issue that was discussed in this thread or a similar thread.

ICE motor mounts have a safety in them in the event that the rubber lets go. Motor won’t move beyond a certain limit. But it’s still a bad motor mount. And the motor can rock or lift to a limit.

At just the right load the motor could bounce /oscillate. If you floor it, it would lock the motor mount to the “lifted” extreme and not oscillate.

I wonder if just one hard launch rips the motor mount rubber and now it relies on the “safety” of the motor mount. But you could be bouncing in the motor mount itself. Or defective motor mounts.

This would explain why it’s different than pre refresh vibration that gets worse with higher load too.

It all fits.

But why at around 40mph? Why would it be present under the gentlest of acceleration to maintain 41mph? Frustrating...

jebinc

EndlessVibrating PLAID, cream/FSD; MYP, wht on wht
Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area

It all fits.
I think it’s more likely electrical resonance of some sort. F’d inverters, motor tolerance build up, etc. it is just shite, whatever it is.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
I think it’s more likely electrical resonance of some sort. F’d inverters, motor tolerance build up, etc. it is just shite, whatever it is.
I think if it was that I’d expect a big difference between Plaid vs LR since I’d expect the resonance would likely be quite different.

Also the fact that folks say they feel it in Yoke and Pedal. It’s strange that anything is felt in the pedal since it’s drive by wire. But Yoke would make sense.

Be nice if you could remove frunk liner and setup a camera :)

It could be both. The whole system has a “resonance” that includes the rubber in the motor mount (s). You could change the resonance frequency with a stiffer or softer motor mount. Or you could change the response rates in software. They are clashing.

Resonance probably changes with suspension height too. Everything has some elasticity. The motor mount is a pretty critical component of that whole system. And extremely close to the motor itself.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC