Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda Hub for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Color me stupid.. I finally got my Jeda Hub. Build Quality looks good.. However got their Wireless charge pad as well. WTF? It comes with 2 USB-A connections. So the hub the provides power to stock Model Y Charger Pad.. So Jeda builds a Wireless pad that doesn't use USB-C??

I am so confused... So New Hub makes you have more ports, but their wireless pad just turns around and uses them up? What am I missing?

The hub has (Input)
one USB A
one USB C

On the Output side it has:
Three USB A (on the face)
One USB A (hidden compartment)
Two USB C (on the face)

So after you use two USB A’s to power the charging pad, you should still have two more USB A’s and two USB C’s available for use.

With the OEM charging pad you only need to use one output - I plug it into one of the USB-C ports and it powers both sides of the charging pad.

I didn't get the new wireless charging pad. My "old" (Pixel 2) phone doesn't support wireless charging. My wife's pixel 3 phone does... but we both have rubber cases around our phones to protect them, and we both like magnets on the back of our phones to connect to "stands" for visibility in our cars. I have a place to mount my phone up by the Tesla LCD screen, because I still like Google Maps for traffic and Waze for "other information" and generally prefer them over Tesla's mapping/navigation...

That said, for the factory charging pad in tandem with the Jeda USB hub, I think only one of the two USB-C ports from the Jeda HUB works well to power the wireless charging pad?

In 2021, some might argue/consider the USB C ports to be more valuable/useful than the USB-A's, and might prefer to tie up USB-A ports to power the charging pad, leaving the USB C ports for other things? The Jeda pad (I think) gives you that flexability...?

I think the Jeda pad also might have the ability to charge phones faster than the factory pad?

I think the Jeda pad has the ability to charge phones in landscape mode as well as portrait, and the factory pad doesn't?

I think the jeda pad has a slick way to get "wires" up into the wireless charging area, to support wired-or-wireless charging, if that capability is useful to you, and the factory pad doesn't...

And lastly, I think the jeda pad can be powered off the 12 volt socket, and therefore not using *any* of the 6 USB ports from the hub? I'm not sure if the factory pad supports that or not...

Not to sound like a jeda apologist, and again, I don't use/do wireless charging and I don't own the Jeda wireless pad... but I do think there are (potentially) many reasons for the Jeda pad to "exist," in the form of capabilities it can provide that the factory pad doesn't...

IMO I think it's silly that our futuristic high(er) end Electric Vehicles ship with such poor USB connectivity, thereby creating a "market" for this sort of after-market products... but my MY (which I *mostly love*) did... and the USB Hub has been a real nice addition to my car, giving me the capability to send power and data simultaneously to:
1) My work iPhone (USB A-to-lightning cable)
2) One EasySMX game controller (USB-A)
3) A second EasySMC game controller (USB-A) - allowing for 2-player co-op Cuphead with my son
4) My personal Android phone (USB C-to-C)
5) My wife (passenger's seat) android phone (USB C-to-C)
6) My Samsung T5 SSD (teslacam and flac files)

All the things that I could possibly want to plug in / charge / interface with the car and able to be plugged in and charged with it... I love it.

Reactions: laservet
"That said, for the factory charging pad in tandem with the Jeda USB hub, I think only one of the two USB-C ports from the Jeda HUB works well to power the wireless charging pad?"

I use the far right USB-C port on the hub to power my OEM charging pad - works great. From the Jeda FAQ:

The stock Tesla Charger which comes included with Model Y’s and new Model 3’s (made after June 2020) is also perfectly compatible. The USB C connector on the right side of the hub has been designed to maintain power, and comply with USB C power delivery specs.

Just got my Jeda hub and installed it. As I have no need for a SSD in there due to having the USB in the glove box, I put my Amazon Echo Auto in there instead. Fits perfect and heard me through the cover and the Tesla wireless charger. Only issue was that the supplied amazon cord was too long and bulky. I solved that by going into my junk drawer and grabbing a short, thin portable battery charging cord I had laying around. That fit, powers up and is all inside the covered area made for the SSD. I am very pleased to finally get it.
Can you provide a little more info on the Echo Auto power cord you used. Thanks.

Reactions: patnshan
Like others, I recently received my Jeda Hub and Wireless Pad. The company communication was frustrating but the product is good. My iPhone 12 Pro Max with silicone case would not charge on the Tesla wireless pad, but it charges without problem in portrait or landscape position on the Jeda Wireless pad. I decided not to install the spacer because it did not impact my wireless charging performance.

Can you provide a little more info on the Echo Auto power cord you used. Thanks.
Sure. It’s the same cord type, just shorter and thinner. I had one laying around from an old portable battery I had. The connectors are the same as those. The original power cable is a bit too bulky to fit in the little compartment. I believe the connector is called a USB Micro B. The one I used is about 8 inches long because that’s what I had. Hope that helps. If I bought one I’d probably get something like this Short Micro USB Cable, CableCreation USB to Micro USB 24 AWG Triple Shielded Fast Charger Cable, Compatible with TV Stick, PS4, Chromecast, Power Bank, Android Phone, 0.5FT/6 inch Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013G4EAEI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_i_zQL.Fb1NABR2F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Got mine yesterday, Jan 13, 2021. Was ordered Nov 26, 2020.

It's a tight fit getting it in there, but that probably helps with aligning the two USB plugs. The wireless charging pad is plugged into the far-right USB-C and seems to work fine.

I had some difficulty getting my Samsung T7 SSD to be recognized; finally I just restarted the center console (held both steering control buttons for 10 seconds), and once it restarted, the drive was recognized. Probably needs a restart to get the hub properly configured in the Tesla software.

Didn't get a free spacer :(

Was pretty surprised to see the mailman dropped the Jeda hub on my porch today. The packaging is definitely slick, and the hub itself looks very solidly built. I kinda wish the magnetic door had the same smooth/velvety finish as the rest of the hub instead of the shiny, pebbled texture, but it's not a big deal since it'll be out of sight anyway. That said, I'm going to stick it on a shelf in the garage as a backup in case my RPM Tesla hub ever fails on me.

FYI, this appears to be a 2 person company after researching it on LinkedIn, the FCC ID website data, and the Stripe Credit Card service that processed my credit card. They do not mention a phone number in any of their marketing materials or in their FCC ID filing. The Stripe link gave a phone number, but that one seems to be disconnected, or is blocking calls. I received one email reply when I asked about my order weeks ago, but no response to my email 4 days ago about the defect, and requesting a replacement.

Update:

After noticing that a refund wasn’t processed to my credit card, and hadn’t had any response from Jeda, I reopened my dispute. They must have contacted Jeda as I got an immediate email that they were sending a replacement. They did, and it was fine, and now finally installed and working. They included a shipping label for returning the defective unit. Credit card dispute cancelled and everyone happy, but was certainly not a smooth transaction.

also, as others have noted, the right-most USB C outlet is the only one with a data connection, and must be the one used to connect the OEM wireless charging pad. The internal USB A is also date and works with a USB drive or SSD. The other outlets are for charging power only.

Update:

After noticing that a refund wasn’t processed to my credit card, and hadn’t had any response from Jeda, I reopened my dispute. They must have contacted Jeda as I got an immediate email that they were sending a replacement. They did, and it was fine, and now finally installed and working. They included a shipping label for returning the defective unit. Credit card dispute cancelled and everyone happy, but was certainly not a smooth transaction.

also, as others have noted, the right-most USB C outlet is the only one with a data connection, and must be the one used to connect the OEM wireless charging pad. The internal USB A is also date and works with a USB drive or SSD. The other outlets are for charging power only.
Interesting that they say this in their promo info:

The only hub on the market to provide data and power on all ports, and secure power delivery thanks to our proprietary electronics – built just for your Tesla.

Reactions: CleverUsername
Interesting that they say this in their promo info:

The only hub on the market to provide data and power on all ports, and secure power delivery thanks to our proprietary electronics – built just for your Tesla.

Interesting. Here's what they replied when I advised that only the right socket would power the wireless charger pad. I found it only worked on the right pad. Perhaps having more than 1 phone connected for data at a time confuses the Tesla as to which one to pair with??

"Due to the specifics of the internals in the Tesla, as well as the OEM Tesla stock pad requirements, the Jeda Hub has been designed around both to assist in preserving the speed and functions in a safe manner.
If you use the Tesla stock pad, it's advised to connect it to the right USB C port on the Jeda Hub.

You can find out more about the Jeda USB Hub and it's functionalities on the product page, FAQ page, or description page."

• Informative
Reactions: CleverUsername

I don't think this is accurate? But I might simply not understand the meaning of supporting a "data connection"...

I have gaming controllers (EasySMX, fwiw) plugged into the 2nd and 3rd USB-A ports, and can confirm that they have worked flawlessly for playing 2-player Cuphead... and I would have assumed that was "data transfer" in practice?

I have my SSD (teslacam and flac files) plugged in to the internal port.

Yup. tech4cars is posting BS.

I plug a game controller into one of the USB-A ports to play games, through its Beach Buggy 99% of the time.

I don't think this is accurate? But I might simply not understand the meaning of supporting a "data connection"...

I have gaming controllers (EasySMX, fwiw) plugged into the 2nd and 3rd USB-A ports, and can confirm that they have worked flawlessly for playing 2-player Cuphead... and I would have assumed that was "data transfer" in practice?

I have my SSD (teslacam and flac files) plugged in to the internal port.