Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda just released a new USB hub. Mounts Flush and hides flash drive

Buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 26.5%
  • Maybe at $50

Votes: 144 50.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
of course there's no longer any ESD protection at that point... Most M.2 install guides contain several mentions about being very careful to insure you're discharged and grounded when handling a naked drive like that.

Something about "handling a naked drive" sounds lewd somehow. In any case, that's easily solved with any number of handy dandy things ranging from Electrical Tape for the quick and cheesy, to molded resin cases. You can get really creative if you want to and still have ESD protection without having to pay a premium for a physically-smaller object.

Something about "handling a naked drive" sounds lewd somehow. In any case, that's easily solved with any number of handy dandy things ranging from Electrical Tape for the quick and cheesy, to molded resin cases. You can get really creative if you want to and still have ESD protection without having to pay a premium for a physically-smaller object.
You sound like someone who is inexperienced at handling naked hard drives or floppy discs.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Dan84
Installed my hub and wireless pad earlier today. The spacer piece was a pain in the ass to put in. Build quality seems very legit. I like the seamless integration and OEM look. Overall, it's a solid product albeit a little pricey.

Last edited:
You sound like someone who is inexperienced at handling naked hard drives or floppy discs.

I prefer to call them...
* Caseless electronics
* Raw and uncensored
* Maker bits
and for Halloween
* Disembodied electroguts

I've been poking electronics since the days of home Pong clone consoles and working with computer guts for over a quarter dozen decades. That being said, I recognize that "the average person" definitely shouldn't go taking apart drives to get at the tasty guts. At the same time, anybody who knows how to properly open a WD Passport Go without destroying said guts probably knows how to avoid ESD issues. Anybody who would have problems with ESD is likely to fail to open the drive case without destroying the guts, so ESD is no longer a concern. ;)

Epoxy or silicone coatings are common on some PCBs and other than heat concerns, there's generally no reason not to use more, per se. But a quick brush coat of UV cure resin and then a stint outside works fine as insulation.

Curious if anyone has experience placing a SanDisk Extreme SSD in the Jeda Hub yet. The dimensions work out in theory, but I'm concerned that there isn't enough room for the cable as there is less than an inch horizontal clearance...

I have the SSD and am considering ordering the hub, just don't want to also have to replace the SSD.

SD Extreme = 2.26" x 4.34" x 0.4"
Jeda Cavity = 2.5" x 5.5" x 0.55"

Curious if anyone has experience placing a SanDisk Extreme SSD in the Jeda Hub yet. The dimensions work out in theory, but I'm concerned that there isn't enough room for the cable as there is less than an inch horizontal clearance...

I have the SSD and am considering ordering the hub, just don't want to also have to replace the SSD.

SD Extreme = 2.26" x 4.34" x 0.4"
Jeda Cavity = 2.5" x 5.5" x 0.55"
jeda-hub-photo-6.jpg

Reactions: Quinndo