Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda USB Hub Vs. Taptes USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Black306

Oct 14, 2019
Sacramento
IMG_1039.JPG

I'll start by saying that I'm not going into any comment regarding Taptes copying Jeda on a USB Hub. My intent is to try and keep this as factual as possible on the products themselves. However, while I believe this thread will fill with personal beliefs on the subject, please keep it respectful.

First Impressions

IMG_1043.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG

Jeda: Packaging of the Jeda hub is very Apple-esque. Materials were purpose picked and tolerances are tight. The cover slides off with a delay to instill a sense of anticipation. Instructions are printed on the top cover. They are clean, simple, and to the point.

Taptes: In contrast, the packaging is budget minded. While not intended to invoke thoughts of luxury, it is clean and functions well. Instructions are included as a pamphlet and contain information typically found in any given product; package contents, specs, and instructions.

Hub itself

IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1047.JPG

Jeda: Similar to the packaging, a lot of thought went into designing the hub. It feels solid in the hand, there is a rubberized coating on all surfaces visible when installed (not including the cover), and a rubber pad on the inside of the hub. Using a Samsung T5 SSD as a test subject, the Jeda hub's internal magnets are stronger and the SSD feels more secure. The back side of the cover also looks more refined; it has a uniform surface with professional looking product information.

Taptes: While not as solid as the Jeda hub, the Taptes hub doesn't scream cheap. It is build reasonably well and has a rubberized surface on most exposed surfaces; there is a small strip on the top of the body with exposed plastic. The back side of the cover has molding marks and exposed magnets. Where the Taptes hub excels is the cover has a rubberized coating that matches the rest of the body and the tolerances are tighter around the edge. The Taptes internal compartment is significantly larger.

Installation and Function

IMG_1037.jpg
IMG_0929.jpg

Jeda: Once installed, the Jeda hub feels very secure. Plugging in and removing an Xbox controller was no problem. Not having text above the ports seems inline with Tesla's minimalism design. The USB-A ports both are data-capable; USB-C ports were untested. Both USB-A ports worked when using an Xbox controller to play Beach Buggy Racing.

Taptes: Install was similar to the Jeda hub. When trying to remove an Xbox controller, the hub tend to pull away from the center console. I found myself having to secure the hub to the console while pulling the controller plug out. As the text above the ports suggest, only the "Data+Power" port worked with an Xbox controller and Beach Buggy Racing; the game didn't react to the controller in the USB-A "Power" ports.

Value

At the time of this post, the Jeda hub is $79. Shipping to CA and tax brings the grand total to $95.12. The Taptes hub is $24.99; free shipping and no tax. Comparing the delivered prices, the Jeda hub is almost 4x the price of the Taptes hub. Is the Jeda hub 4x the value? That's for each person to decide.

Personally speaking, the Jeda's fit/finish, lack of text above the ports, and ability to use 2 controllers with games makes the hub a better option (I have 2 young kids). That said, there still is a feeling the price is seriously excessive. Had the ordering experience been better (41 days from order to delivery and very poor communication on delays), the inflated price would have been easier to stomach.

For a more cost-conscious consumer, the Taptes hub is a very good product delivering most of the Jeda's experience. While the quality-in-hand is less than that of the Jeda hub, once installed, it has a good look and decent feel. If it wasn't for the inability to use 2 controllers for games, I would have to lean towards the Taptes hub.

Great write up. I notice the compartment size is bigger with the Taptes hub. Can you measure the compartment? I want to see if you could fit a SSD external case. That way you could use a standard SSD instead of a portable one.

Where the Taptes hub excels is the cover has a rubberized coating that matches the rest of the body and the tolerances are tighter around the edge.

I would argue for and against this point.

PRO: The more unified look of the cover makes it a bit harder for a theif to realize that there might be something hidden inside there.

AGAINST: I think Jeda's point here is that you can see in your image in the installed section, that the Jeda cover matches the graininess of the surrounding cloth material. The cover's texture/color match is much better than the TapTes which stands out.

Great summary and review though. Would love for someone to dig a bit more deep into the power output capabilities of the ports as well as a dig into the PCB design.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
The Taptes having only one charge+data port is a pretty big downside of this hub, imo, since I have to use ANOTHER hub to split that data port to use two controllers. The negative of the Jeda is that both USB A ports are data, but if you are plugging a wireless pad into them, you lose out on data ports for controllers or anything else, thus forcing you to get another hub if you want to use controllers. Both Jeda and Taptes should just get rid of the USB-C port(s) and make it 4xUSB-A ports with data to either 2 or all of the ports. I see no benefit of having non-PD USB-C since Im not constantly replugging stuff.

Thanks, OP. Great, objective summary. I have both the Jeda pad and Jeda USB hub. If I had to order both again, I'd go with the Taptes without hesitation. Having a good or great product without decent customer service is just not going to cut it, especially when you're charging a premium for your products. I own quite a few expensive/luxury items, so not afraid to pay for quality. However, the sad truth is American made is not what it used to be. In some regard, I think the Taptes USB Hub looks better than the Jeda Hub. Just my opinion of course. Either way, more competition/choice is welcome. It forces companies like Jeda to improve their products... which is good for us consumers.

Thanks, OP. Great, objective summary. I have both the Jeda pad and Jeda USB hub. If I had to order both again, I'd go with the Taptes without hesitation. Having a good or great product without decent customer service is just not going to cut it, especially when you're charging a premium for your products. I own quite a few expensive/luxury items, so not afraid to pay for quality. However, the sad truth is American made is not what it used to be. In some regard, I think the Taptes USB Hub looks better than the Jeda Hub. Just my opinion of course. Either way, more competition/choice is welcome. It forces companies like Jeda to improve their products... which is good for us consumers.

I agree with you on all fronts. I was one of the first few people that ordered the v1 of the Jeda wireless pad but after dealing with delays, terrible customer service, defective pad without replacement, and paying high prices, its just not worth it anymore.

Jeda stuff might be American designed but its still made in China

Reactions: kayak1
Did that get resolved? I'm waiting for a replacement Jeda hub which has been promised, but it's been months.

Nope, my pad warped within the first 3 months of owning it and they said I was SOL even though I would consider warping a defect of the product. So instead, I filed a warranty claim on my credit card and got a full refund. If you don't hear back in a few days, I would suggest you do the same. I think Jeda is trying to beat Tesla at the worst customer service

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Thanks for the compliments! :)

Is it possible to open up these and compare the quality of internal electronics/PCBs?
Not sure how this would benefit the average consumer, but if there is enough interest...sure.

Great write up. I notice the compartment size is bigger with the Taptes hub. Can you measure the compartment? I want to see if you could fit a SSD external case. That way you could use a standard SSD instead of a portable one.
Measuring the width from the narrowest point...

Jeda: 5" x 2.5"

Taptes: 5.5" x 3"

I would argue for and against this point.

PRO: The more unified look of the cover makes it a bit harder for a theif to realize that there might be something hidden inside there.

AGAINST: I think Jeda's point here is that you can see in your image in the installed section, that the Jeda cover matches the graininess of the surrounding cloth material. The cover's texture/color match is much better than the TapTes which stands out.

Great summary and review though. Would love for someone to dig a bit more deep into the power output capabilities of the ports as well as a dig into the PCB design.
Considering Jeda advertises the space to hide an SSD or flash drive, I believe a more uniform look with the rest of the hub and a tighter tolerance better achieves that goal.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 7.51.36 PM.png

That said, IMO, the Taptes cover still looks better from the outside. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Thanks for posting about this. Can you tell me if the taptes pocket is deeper than the Jeda? I have an SSD that specs to be just ever so slightly wider than the specs of the Jeda pocket and I am wondering if it's going to fit the taptes better.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Not sure how this would benefit the average consumer, but if there is enough interest...sure.

Measuring the width from the narrowest point...

Jeda: 5" x 2.5"

Taptes: 5.5" x 3"

Considering Jeda advertises the space to hide an SSD or flash drive, I believe a more uniform look with the rest of the hub and a tighter tolerance better achieves that goal.

View attachment 505388

That said, IMO, the Taptes cover still looks better from the outside. :D
Thanks. What is the depth?

• Informative
Reactions: Zakath
When I was researching wireless charging pads I tried doing a search to confirm that they would be large enough to support an IPhone 11 Pro Max with a case on it. I never found any comments on it so I just took a chance with the Nomad charger.

So I can confirm that my IPhone 11 Pro Max with a Spigen case on it does fit, but just barely. I have to really wedge it in just perfectly to make sure it is making contact with the charging coils, and there is barely 1mm of space left once it’s sitting in place. If I had a slightly larger case (like an Otterbox) I’m pretty sure it would not fit.

I bring this up because the rumor mill says Apple is planning on making an Iphone 12 that is even larger than the Pro Max. So if you are into large phones, you may need to get a pad that supports horizontal charging. I know at least one of them does, but can’t remember which one.