Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda USB Hub Vs. Taptes USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran into the same problem and required me to remove the case. I did this for a day. I found there are wireless charging pads that are designed for horizontal or "landscape" positioning and bought one. Works as advertised. On the rare occasion of a passenger needing to charge at the same time, I'm okay removing my phone case.

Maybe if I put this in my car it will have enough ports

Big Hub.jpg

Attachments

• Big Hub.jpg
    Big Hub.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 77
  • Funny
Reactions: iamnid and p1l0t3
The current taptes pad supports horizontal charging.

I have a samsung s10e and they claim that this phone supports up to 12W wireless charging and 15W wired charging.

I measured the Volt ans Amperes while charging and the Volts is always about 4.1V.

The Amperage however goed from 600 mA to 2300 mA.

The wired stock charger and cable (at home) gets 2300mA which is around 9W right?

Then how can they claim to support up to 15W?

Also wirelessly I cant get higher than 1200 mA (when using the 12V socket) which is about 5W so how do I achieve the 12W wireless charging speed?

I’m not proud of it, but I bought the Taptes. On the basis of price, I was never going to be a customer of the Jeda product. The Taptes was an impulse buy.

The hub arrived today, It fit just fine, and initially, I was pleased with my purchase.

Unfortunately, neither of the data ports in my unit work properly for the dashcam. The car did not recognize the drive at all when plugged into the lower port. In the upper data+power position, the drive is recognized, but the red circle in the dashcam icon remains grey.

After pulling the Taptes out, the drive works fine in both the bare Tesla USB port and my cheap amazon splitter usb cable thing.

It’s going back.

I’m not proud of it, but I bought the Taptes. On the basis of price, I was never going to be a customer of the Jeda product. The Taptes was an impulse buy.

The hub arrived today, It fit just fine, and initially, I was pleased with my purchase.

Unfortunately, neither of the data ports in my unit work properly for the dashcam. The car did not recognize the drive at all when plugged into the lower port. In the upper data+power position, the drive is recognized, but the red circle in the dashcam icon remains grey.

After pulling the Taptes out, the drive works fine in both the bare Tesla USB port and my cheap amazon splitter usb cable thing.

It’s going back.

As mentioned by a bunch of users, you have to "wear" down all the usb ports and plugs by plugging it in and removing it multiple times. Likely due to rushed shipment to ship out before Chinese new year, there were likely no quality checks - it looks like theres still some film of somesort that causes the data connection to not work.

Additionally, I had emailed Taptes prior to figuring this out and got a response today:

Good day to you and I am so sorry for the late reply due to the Chinese New leave, this is Demi from TAPTES.
You can try creating a little friction between the hub and the car by pulling out and reinserting the hub several times, as well as on each individual plug.
Then restart your Model 3. And please make sure you plug in the SSD tightly​

As mentioned by a bunch of users, you have to "wear" down all the usb ports and plugs by plugging it in and removing it multiple times. Likely due to rushed shipment to ship out before Chinese new year, there were likely no quality checks - it looks like theres still some film of somesort that causes the data connection to not work.

Additionally, I had emailed Taptes prior to figuring this out and got a response today:

Good day to you and I am so sorry for the late reply due to the Chinese New leave, this is Demi from TAPTES.
You can try creating a little friction between the hub and the car by pulling out and reinserting the hub several times, as well as on each individual plug.
Then restart your Model 3. And please make sure you plug in the SSD tightly​

I’ll give it a shot. Beats dealing with a return, if it works.

The “thumbs down” I earned is pretty hilarious to me. @McFlurri are you used to devices you order not functioning properly on arrival?

I’ll give it a shot. Beats dealing with a return, if it works.

The “thumbs down” I earned is pretty hilarious to me. @McFlurri are you used to devices you order not functioning properly on arrival?
I think I would understand why my product may not be operating as expected and do a quick search before taking my time to do an RMA.

Simply wearing down the ports by plugging a device in and out a few times is much less of a hassle.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7 and DionG
My Taptes has now been thoroughly fondled.

I started with 25 strokes on the two male usb plugs that go into the car, and 25 on the two female data ports. The power-only ones already work fine with my Nomad pad, so I left them alone. This manipulation got the front data+power port to start showing the red circle in the dashcam icon - so it works.

Still nothing from the hidden data port (not even the greyed out icon), so I gave it a proper rogering. Around 150 thrusts in and out of the hidden female port, as well as a similar number on the the male plugs for good measure. Nothing. I do notice that the hidden port doesn’t feel as positive, and has some side-to-side play that isn’t present on the front port, so it does seem truly defective. I’ll reach out to Taptes and see what they say.

And it didn’t even buy me dinner.

I started with 25 strokes on the two male usb plugs that go into the car, and 25 on the two female data ports. The power-only ones already work fine with my Nomad pad, so I left them alone. This manipulation got the front data+power port to start showing the red circle in the dashcam icon - so it works.

Still nothing from the hidden data port (not even the greyed out icon), so I gave it a proper rogering. Around 150 thrusts in and out of the hidden female port, as well as a similar number on the the male plugs for good measure. Nothing. I do notice that the hidden port doesn’t feel as positive, and has some side-to-side play that isn’t present on the front port, so it does seem truly defective. I’ll reach out to Taptes and see what they say.

my hidden port is also a bit loose. hopefully they will rectify the issues for you and fix future deliveries of this

View attachment 504978
Jeda: Once installed, the Jeda hub feels very secure. Plugging in and removing an Xbox controller was no problem. Not having text above the ports seems inline with Tesla's minimalism design. The USB-A ports both are data-capable; USB-C ports were untested. Both USB-A ports worked when using an Xbox controller to play Beach Buggy Racing.

I got my Jeda back in September. I use the USB-A ports to charge my phones, and the USB-C ports for controllers. I find it's easier to use USB-C for the controllers as you don't have to worry about orientation when you plug them in. I only plug the controllers in when a game is being played.

I use these USB-C adapters, 2-pack for $7.99, and a couple of these Logitech controllers, $17.99.

IMG_2174.jpg

For a more cost-conscious consumer, the Taptes hub is a very good product delivering most of the Jeda's experience. While the quality-in-hand is less than that of the Jeda hub, once installed, it has a good look and decent feel. If it wasn't for the inability to use 2 controllers for games, I would have to lean towards the Taptes hub.
The need for controllers would facilitate about 1% of the market for this product
In Taptes terms, the Jeda Hub should be about $35

I'm also having problems with Teslacam on the Taptes hub. It looks like it's a little too tall and hits the plastic that sticks out above the front usb ports. If I press firmly on the hub it will start working for a minute but the slightest bump and it disconnects.

I'm also having problems with Teslacam on the Taptes hub. It looks like it's a little too tall and hits the plastic that sticks out above the front usb ports. If I press firmly on the hub it will start working for a minute but the slightest bump and it disconnects.

Is it possible to take an exacto and trim some of the plastic from the port to enable it to fit better?

The solution is to put it in, and remove it a few times. Taptes forgot a step, and something was left on the USB plugs that causes issues until it's rubbed off.

Not sure what you're describing, but I haven't had this issue. I plugged my Taptes in one time, and it's been great. Can you give us a visual demonstration of the issue?

Keep going I’m almost there