Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jedlix setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seasons greetings!

After receiving my Tesla on Saturday, I'm loving it and trying to get up to speed with everything, it's great fun so far.

I'm trying to setup Jedlix to smart charge according to my current tariff. I'm on economy 7 for the mo and so I have setup my off peak time in Jedlix to start at 2am (my e7 timer is out!). This all worked fine and did smart charge via Jedlix the first time. But I needed to stop the charger charging when I plugged it in during the day. So I thought I'd set a schedule charge start in the Tesla to 2am to stop it from charging as soon as it's plugged in. The car has charged but it looks like the car overrode Jedlix and the smart charge didn't occur.

Anyone have a working setup and if so what setting should I have in the car to stop it charging as soon as plugged in? or do I have to manually stop it every time?

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to setup Jedlix to smart charge according to my current tariff. I'm on economy 7 for the mo and so I have setup my off peak time in Jedlix to start at 2am (my e7 timer is out!). This all worked fine and did smart charge via Jedlix the first time. But I needed to stop the charger charging when I plugged it in during the day. So I thought I'd set a schedule charge start in the Tesla to 2am to stop it from charging as soon as it's plugged in. The car has charged but it looks like the car overrode Jedlix and the smart charge didn't occur.

Anyone have a working setup and if so what setting should I have in the car to stop it charging as soon as plugged in? or do I have to manually stop it every time?

Thanks in advance.

I've just signed up here in France. Normally, I have the car charge so it's ready for me at 7am (with pre-conditioning). This uses my cheap rate which kicks-in at 01.00 until 07.00.
I'm guessing that with Jedlix, I need to turn off the car system but presumably, that might also stop pre-conditioning. Although everything set up OK, I did get a message saying Jedlix aren't partnered with my supplier, EDF so a bit of a leap into the dark but it's activated so I'm going to try it over the holiday and see what happens.

With grateful thanks to @Doofty for spelling this out for me, I now have a working setup.

I have the Jedlix app setup with the schedule for my off peak times. In terms of the car settings there are none, no schedule etc. When you plug in during peak times, the car starts to charge and the Jedlix app sees this and stops the charge (within a few minutes), the car is then 'smart charged' under the control of Jedlix during a suitable off peak time. So simpler than I thought!

This does look like a clone of ev.energy app both claim to schedule to make the charging process that bit greener but just for note the uk is not "burning" any dirty coal. EV. Energy is fairly upfront about the reward pay back but I cannot find any detail from Jedlix other than someone said its about currently 1p/kwh cashback. EV.Energy was giving a bit more at least for early members via Amazon Vouchers. Interested to know what other differences may exist.

I briefly started with ev.energy, but I couldn't easily see a way to adjust my schedule time (as my economy7 clock is out an hour), so I moved on. I will have another look once I move contracts / change suppliers/meter etc. Payback on Jedlix is currently 1p/kWh

I got this repy to my Ohme/Jedlix question
Hi Chris,

Sorry for our late reply. Thank you for your question regarding the use of Jedlix in combination with Ohme. We did some investigation with our product development team to give a recommendation:

To our understanding, Ohme also takes into account rates like Octopus Agile or Economy7 type rates to lower your energy bill. This is indeed something Jedlix does as well and on top of that, we also support grid balancing. The extra cashback we give to you is for grid balancing revenues and come on top of your energy rate savings.

In practice, Jedlix and Ohme might optimize mostly for the same incentives, but some of the app preferences work differently. Due to these differences, it might occur that the charging outcome is not going according to expectation. As a result, we would not recommend double control together with Ohme. I think by using Jedlix you don’t miss the benefits you normally would expect with Ohme and top of that you also have the cashback from our grid balancing benefits.

At Jedlix we do have quite some experience with the charging station applying “local load management”. In this case, the charging station lowers the charging rate a bit to protect the main fuse of the household. This is typically a case where double control is less of an issue for us since the optimization is on a different use case that works in parallel. To our understanding, local load management is less typical in the UK, but some
I hope this explanation is clear to you. We are happy to briefly set up a call to verify if our understanding is correct or whether we overlook something.

Kind Regards,
Ruben - Team Jedlix

Reactions: OttoR
I got this repy to my Ohme/Jedlix question
Hi Chris,

Sorry for our late reply. Thank you for your question regarding the use of Jedlix in combination with Ohme. We did some investigation with our product development team to give a recommendation:

To our understanding, Ohme also takes into account rates like Octopus Agile or Economy7 type rates to lower your energy bill. This is indeed something Jedlix does as well and on top of that, we also support grid balancing. The extra cashback we give to you is for grid balancing revenues and come on top of your energy rate savings.

In practice, Jedlix and Ohme might optimize mostly for the same incentives, but some of the app preferences work differently. Due to these differences, it might occur that the charging outcome is not going according to expectation. As a result, we would not recommend double control together with Ohme. I think by using Jedlix you don’t miss the benefits you normally would expect with Ohme and top of that you also have the cashback from our grid balancing benefits.

At Jedlix we do have quite some experience with the charging station applying “local load management”. In this case, the charging station lowers the charging rate a bit to protect the main fuse of the household. This is typically a case where double control is less of an issue for us since the optimization is on a different use case that works in parallel. To our understanding, local load management is less typical in the UK, but some
I hope this explanation is clear to you. We are happy to briefly set up a call to verify if our understanding is correct or whether we overlook something.

Kind Regards,
Ruben - Team Jedlix

So what does that mean in practice? Should we avoid jedlix if we use Ohme or should be set the Ohme charger up to be a dumb charger and let Jedlix handle the smarts? I'm still searching for a solution that will provide scheduled charging when required but guaranteed charge when prices plunge, with no manual intervention required.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
So what does that mean in practice? Should we avoid jedlix if we use Ohme or should be set the Ohme charger up to be a dumb charger and let Jedlix handle the smarts? I'm still searching for a solution that will provide scheduled charging when required but guaranteed charge when prices plunge, with no manual intervention required.
I'm not sure whether to cut ties with Ohme and revert to the dumb charger.. it can't be changed back as I understand it. Can I just use the Jedlix app without the Ohme one? will it override the Ohme one?
I'd be interested to find out what you decide.
I just got another email from them.
"Hi Chris,

We just have launched a new feature and this might be interesting for you! We are very happy to announce that we now fully support dynamic rates in our app and service. Hereby a short update on how it works:

• Setting up is simple and basically one click away. Go “My Energy Tariff” on the “settings” screen. Select “dynamic rate” and you are good to go. Our system automatically collects the dynamic rate and operates the charging on the right interval.

• Insights; besides controlling the charging at the right moment, you can also see the total charging costs and how much you saved by smart charging on dynamic rates. Thanks to this you know exactly how much the charging of your car costs at home. Please note that for now, we take the average dynamic rate one could expect (including VAT and fees). This rate might slightly differ from your local situation since these rates may vary per region.

• Earnings; by smart charging, you still receive the additional earnings per kWh as promised in our service. These earnings relate to the grid balancing services of Jedlix and are on top of any savings you make on your energy bill. The best of both worlds!

Happy smart charging and looking forward to your experience. Based on your feedback and suggestion we will further improve this service to make an impact on sustainable energy and mobility!
Kind Regards,

Team Jedlix"

Damn, I thought I had this all working, but this morning I woke to a car at 37%. it has not charged for two days in a row.

When I installed the Jedlix App a couple of weeks ago, my Tesla was charging and Jedlix stopped it as expected. The next morning at 2am and each morning since, the car started charging again and I earned smart charging money. However, for the last 2 days my car has not charged even though it is always plugged in. I have not changed my Jedlix App settings. My App settings are start charging at 02:00 and departure time 9:00 AM. Regular and smart charge to 80%. Single rate electricity. I have set my Electricity Provider to Peoples Energy as you do not list my actual provider "Goto Energy" and Peoples Energy were my previous supplier.

This morning I woke to a car at 37%. I hit the start charging button on the Tesla app at about 8:30 am and it charged briefly and then stopped. Jedlix said charging paused. So I told Jedlix to turn off smart charging for a day and the car started to charge. The app shows "Regular Charging", but interestingly still says charging paused even thought he Tesla app confirms it is working

Looks to me like Jedlix is never allowing my car to charge. Two things have change. It is a new year and the Tesla has updated its software twice, now at 2020.48.30. After the first night of no charge I figured it must be the Tesla software update. I had the car set to precondition for 7:30 am but with the new software update there are extra options so I went in an turned all that off. No schedule, no precondition, and it did not change anything.

There do not seem to be any logs or other useful information on the app to help me see what has happened.

Anyone got any suggestions? (I have raised a support call with them as well)