Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeff Dahn Bursary in Physics at Dalhousie University - Please Support!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we all know, Tesla only has one University affiliated laboratory for research on battery chemistry.
(Tesla’s new battery research partner is receiving the prestigious Governor General’s Innovation Award)

Dr Jeff Dahn spearheads that research.(Prof looks to make lithium-ion batteries that last a lifetime)

His 60th birthday is coming up soon.

My daughter (a 3rd yr Chem major at Dal) is a friend of one of Dr Dahn's grad students who came up with an idea to honor his lifetime dedication to battery innovations. I'm excited to support research in a field that is so vital to our future.

My hope is that by sharing this info, we can open up an avenue of support that many current (and future) Tesla owners may not be aware of. I just made a donation myself through the website. As a bonus, it is also a tax deduction!

Below is her email with permission and with a few minor edits:
"I was thinking to myself about an appropriate gift to give a guy who apparently has it all. It occurred to me that the most meaningful birthday present would be one that reciprocates his generosity towards us and perpetuates his legacy at Dal. It occurred to me to start a scholarship fund in his name. After several weeks discussing with Kathy, the physics department and the advancement office, the bursary fund described in the attached documents is a reality! Several strings were pulled in order to make it live before Christmas.

I think you will like the criteria for this award (drafted with Kathy’s help):
a) Demonstrated financial need
b) Entrance from NS high school
c) Outstanding grades in Physics
d) Accepted to a Bachelor of Science degree program
e) Preference given to a female student in each even numbered year

To donate online:
• Go to www.giving.dal.ca
• Under “Direct your gift”, click “search for a specific funding area”.
• Search for “Jeff Dahn Bursary in Physics”

Please feel free to circulate this, especially to others with connections to Jeff who would be willing to support this project. If we manage to hit $26,000, the money can be invested in an endowment fund. The scholarship will be paid out of the interest it makes (4%/year) and it will never be depleted. The minimum value of an endowment fund is $25k. The fund will give its first gift for the 2017/18 school year. I am confident that by the time Jeff retires, we can hit this target and have this fund permanently in his name.

Please talk to me if you have any comments, ideas, suggestions, or anything else. I’ve kept this quiet for some time, since I didn’t know if I could get this off the ground. Now that it can be a reality, I want to know what everyone thinks!

Leah

PS: BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO ACCIDENTALLY EMAIL JEFF WHEN REPLYING TO THIS EMAIL (OR ANY OTHERS CONCERNING THE UPCOMING BIRTHDAY PLANS)"

Thanks for reading this, and apologies to anyone who may think this is an inappropriate post.