Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jerk who interrupts others charging to get higher amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I wrote several times on this forum, charging depending on superchargers will not be sustainable in HK, even with the best efforts of Tesla to build more and the EV community with charging etiquette. If (hopefully) there remains a big difference between FRT of EVs and ICEs in future, the Model 3 will sell like hot cakes here. There is no way superchargers can keep up with that. The only way out of this dilemma is legislation, requiring owner committees and building managements to accept any charger installation as long as the applicant is bearing the cost.
I think once the supercharger valets come in this will significantly help.

The only way out of this dilemma is legislation, requiring owner committees and building managements to accept any charger installation as long as the applicant is bearing the cost.

Spot on!

Also I would add a few more ideas
For personal charger installation:
The government should engage several reputable installation contractors to get a standard pricing scheme. Base cost plus standard variable cost structure. That way EV owners can have a good idea of what the max price will be.

For FRT:
Aside from revenue raising, FRT is designed to control the number of new cars on the road. They don't want to overwhelm public infrastructure (roads, parking etc). Chargers are public infrastructure too!
The government must phase in FRT on EV. Phasing it back in, will still encourage EV over ICE.
Bonus.....If you install your own charger, you can claim that cost as a rebate against your FRT.

I could be way off the mark, but my sleep deprived brain seems to see some logic in these ideas

Reactions: PeterK
It is new to me that pressing the button resets charging. I will try that on my own car next time I supercharge again (which is not often)

Another way to see if a car is charging is using a smart phone:

This is for an AC 22kW (3 phase) charger, and you can see the needle fluctuating. Different phones show different signals, my iPhone 5 is in the video, while my 5S shows a slower fluctuation. Even DC gives a reading (I tested both ChaDeMo and supercharging), but the needle isn't pulsing as for AC rather but only changes as you move the position of the phone.

The app used in the video is the iOS app "detector" which is made as a metal detector. There are many such apps for both iOS and Android, results will vary depending on both app and which phone is used.

I heard Tesla Motors are looking into ways to guide owners who think it's OK to use supercharging stalls for long term parking. If you do have a longer meeting or other activity that means you can't move your car, you should use a normal parking spot. Tesla has the information but need a way to set it up.

Building more superchargers won't be enough in itself. It is vital to ensure that the existing capacity is used in an optimum way, ensuring the lowest chances of waiting time for owners. If the charging infrastructure isn't built out fast enough, it could become the bottleneck rather than battery production capacity.

As I wrote several times on this forum, charging depending on superchargers will not be sustainable in HK, even with the best efforts of Tesla to build more and the EV community with charging etiquette. If (hopefully) there remains a big difference between FRT of EVs and ICEs in future, the Model 3 will sell like hot cakes here. There is no way superchargers can keep up with that. The only way out of this dilemma is legislation, requiring owner committees and building managements to accept any charger installation as long as the applicant is bearing the cost.
Eventually, market force could be quicker than legislation.

Reactions: markwj
I am surprised superchargers don't have a display on the tower showing if the charger is in use or not. Even a green/red LED would work. Every other public charger I have been to, if you want to know if the car is charging, you check the station, not the car.

Reactions: dhanson865
Only in HK...
I think a good move that Tesla will eventually have to take on HK is to lock out people from supercharging. 1 day or part thereof for anyone who overstays full charge by more than 1 hour.

even something like a "one full charge via supercharger per day" limit on the cars would help, and its logistically much easier to implement via OTA car update

For my case at least, I am quite sure that guy was intended. I do have a car cam capture he goes to the left side of my car. Of coz, I can't capture he does hit the button in the video. But it happens 15 mins after I parked my car. I notice it with my cellphone and then I go up. Do the very same trick to his charging gun and get the priority back to my car trying to lure him back to his car so I can confront him. And I wait for him right there. However, he didn't show up until I have to leave. If I am not in a hurry, I will wait for him and ask him a few questions. I think anyone who purchase the Tesla have rights to use them. No offense, I saw many hotel car drivers and uber drivers use the supercharger. I don't blame them, cause they paid for the service, it is their rights. I saw commercial drivers usually follow good orders. Of course, there is always some who don't. But mostly does. But I also saw many non-commercial drivers blocking spots. I saw a white Tesla with plate CHARXXXX parking at the Science Park spot for over 2 hrs, that is a hot one because it is the only one in East NT. There is a queue of 7 cars. I am one of them. All the other 5 cars' driver at that spot charging come back pretty quickly. I queue up for 1.5 hours, some spots even have cars come and go for 2 rounds already. End up, the Charxxxx finally comes back after I finished charging (2.5 hours sitting on that spot). They didn't looks like commercial drivers at all. My feeling is, there is always "jerk" and not because they are commercial or private drivers. To be honest, I have good confidence that the guy park next to me that day in Panda Hotel, Tsuen Wan, is a Jerk.

Last edited:
Regarding legislation. I have something to share too. My P85D got hit and run in Hung Hom Station parking. Neither the parking lot managment company or the Police is being helpful to track down the suspect. Even the camera capture the guy who park next to me was leaving the spot, likely scratched my car while he is leaving the spot. I have to call both the parking lot management multiple times in order to get them to take it seriously and do some progress. They just don't want to have some extra work unless you really press on it. Even after a couple rounds of discussion they finally agree to give the police these info. The police on the other hand, did nothing to catch the hit and run driver. Legislation and enforcement is two thing. How many people throwing garbage on the street and how many people actually get caught? I believe many policeman won't even bother to catch them unless someone is complaining or their boss ask them to do "something" because their boss' boss suddenly ask them to because of a complaint. Rather passing an act to punish those who occupy charging spots. Why don't pass an act so that all new properties development need to provide EV charging space and EV power supply administration request CLP and HKE to take it up as part of requirement for the regulated power business. So CLP and HKE can directly involve in selling electricity to EV drivers without having real estate developer or real estate management companies bureaucracy hindering the development of EV charging at everybody's home. If everyone have EV charging at home at reasonable cost, the burden on these chargers are less. And the whole population become more productive as well, imagine how many time you have to spend on queue up for chargers and charging. That might be a better "ACT" to pass. Solve the problem right at ground zero.

Why don't pass an act so that all new properties development need to provide EV charging space and EV power supply administration request CLP and HKE to take it up as part of requirement for the regulated power business. So CLP and HKE can directly involve in selling electricity to EV drivers without having real estate developer or real estate management companies bureaucracy hindering the development of EV charging at everybody's home. If everyone have EV charging at home at reasonable cost, the burden on these chargers are less. And the whole population become more productive as well, imagine how many time you have to spend on queue up for chargers and charging. That might be a better "ACT" to pass. Solve the problem right at ground zero.

That is essentially already in force. To qualify for the GFA concession on car parks, all new buildings (for the past few years) are required to have their car parks 100% EV enabled (trunking and cabling ready for simple installation of EVSE), and 30% EV ready (EVSE installed and ready for use).

I don't supercharge often, maybe once every two or three months. A few days ago, I did. I noticed that when I pressed the button to open the charge port, the car next to me clicked, and the green lights came on. That car was actually done charging (the lights were steady, not flashing).

The point is - All I did was press the button to open my charge port. I didn't press the button on the other car, but the signal was strong enough to trigger the other car.

Tesla Motors needs to rewrite the code for the car, so it doesn't reset charging when a) the button is pressed AND b) the car is plugged in and charging.

Reactions: lklundin
I don't supercharge often, maybe once every two or three months. A few days ago, I did. I noticed that when I pressed the button to open the charge port, the car next to me clicked, and the green lights came on. That car was actually done charging (the lights were steady, not flashing).

The point is - All I did was press the button to open my charge port. I didn't press the button on the other car, but the signal was strong enough to trigger the other car.

Tesla Motors needs to rewrite the code for the car, so it doesn't reset charging when a) the button is pressed AND b) the car is plugged in and charging.

It's the same I heard. Still need to test it, though.

As I posted above - it's possible to reset the neighbor car, when you click to open your own charge port. THAT could really be grounds for many misunderstandings ...

I have been relying on supercharging since last year, from my experience, the condition you mentioned occurs randomly, sometimes, the other car's "charging indicator" lights up when I opened my charge port by pressing the button, sometimes they don't. And the same applies to my car (another owner about to plug in his car and mine lights up). In this case, my phone app won't give a "charging interrupted" message. So there could not be any misunderstandings (as the owners who complained all received a "charging interrupted" message).

I remember reading something about supercharging priority in Tesla forum, but I could not find the original article now

According to (what I remember from) that article, you only get a very high amp (may be 2xxA) if your battery is low AND the other slot is empty or with a near-completely charged car (i.e. the other car is only using a small current as it's near the end of it's charging session) or you arrive first.

If two cars, both low on juice, are plugged in at similar time, the first to arrive will get most of the supercharger's current (capped at a certain level, which I can't remember) and the other car gets what is leftover. Then the first car's battery begins to fill up and can't make use of such large current, the current will then be "redistributed" to the second car. So the first car is said to have priority over the second car.

If the second car's battery is still low at time of the redistribution, it can make use of the large current and charging speeds up. But it still takes longer for the second car to charge (compared with the first car). Worst case scenario is the second car is already filled up enough and can't make use of the larger current, the whole charging session will take much longer (as the second car will be using the least current all the time).

Pressing the button may not produce any noticeable difference unless the first car is charging at very high amp right before the button is pressed (resetting priority). If the first car is already filled up enough and using a small current to complete the charging, pressing the button won't make any difference for both cars (except the first car's owner's phone will received a notification).

And I have to admit what I post above is based on what I read before (which I could not find the original article and quote it), and may not be what is happening in real life.

--------------------
DITB is right that Tesla needs to rewrite the code so priority won't reset until the car is unplugged.

Recently, I charged my MS at Hopewell's Superchargers, and I charged for approx. 1 hour and recevied 2 charge interrupt msg. Not sure how I should interpret this...

If not for the 2 interuptions, I'd have been done after 45min.