Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jetson Age - Transportation Infrastructure of the Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
Creating buzz in the digiverse or an announcement, as it were, by Elon Musk that local officials have given a verbal nod to a Northeast corridor hyperloop. And if you're not up to speed on supersonic verbiage let me break it down for us everyday high speed commuters. If your day begins at least two hours earlier than you'd normally need because of a standing battle heading North or South on Interstate 95 between New York Philadelphia Baltimore and Washington D.C., this could be the answer you've been waiting for. Passenger pod travel. From New York to DC in 29 minutes. Through a tube at supersonic. I assume that'll be roundtrip. Leave your vehicles at home or at the Park 'n Pod. Formerly Park 'n Rides which will probably remain a thing for skeptics who don't want to leap into the Space Age. At least not until it becomes absolutely absurd not to.

Yes the visionary CEO confirmed via tweet that talks with government agencies have been positive and it is likely "tentative plans" for constructing a NE hyperloop, first of its kind, will be blueprinted soon. Per a statement by The US Department of Transportation,

"We have had promising conversations to date, are committed to transformative infrastructure projects, and believe our greatest solutions have often come from the ingenuity and drive of the private sector,"
and Musk tweeted Thursday,

"Still a lot of work needed to receive formal approval, but am optimistic that will occur rapidly." Urging the rush hour traffic weary to reach out to your local reps if you want it sooner than later.

What will this groundbreaking mass transit project mean for infrastructure? Long overdue for a makeover. In this instance the hyperloops are more a transformation of U.S. mass transportation. Last year Amtrak announced investing 2.4 billion in next generation high speed rail. New trains and upgrades on its lines, mainly through the Northeast Corridor, to be operational by 2021. Vast improvement but a distant above ground third should the first successful hyperloop launch prove to be just what veteran commuters ordered. How about subway lines? Perhaps the not so distant second cousin. Would competition factor even matter? Or would loops create a unique separate market niche in and of themselves? Back home and above ground Route 895, also known as the Pocahontas Parkway was constructed as a bypass southeast of the city of Richmond. Connecting Interstate 95 and Route 150 in Chesterfield County with Interstate 295 near Richmond International Airport. Offering a more direct route. Great concept. After overcoming kink in the execution which rendered the 8.8 mile stretch of highway inoperable for a bit before it was finally finished. Then there was the toll. You'll definitely pay for the high speed privilege. Which increased gradually to max out, for now, at a $4.15 (2-axle vehicle). Not quite so much hype since that happened. Not saying this will be the situation with high speed transit upgrade. What I am saying getting there fast has proven to be not quite so important if it digs too deep into the purse.
All things considered mass transit would be coerced in stepping up service enhancements and safety game if it wants to hold on to traveler/commuter traffic not ready to be a Jetson but weary of the, more often than not, below average daily shuttle. Play on word intended. I imagine first ride in a loop will be sort of like the tram in Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta, Georgia. I mean that's the. closest we can get for underground comparison. Except way faster and far fewer stops between points A and Z. Welcome to the future folks. Ready or not here it comes.

Read more:

Elon Musk posts video of 'electric sled' for tunnel travel

Hyperloop startup moves closer to near-supersonic rail